Hoping to get some more great advice from you all! Background- family of 5 with 3 teens (14, 14, 15) visiting Italy in July on a modest budget. Since Italy is filled with history (and I'd like to take a break here and there from looking in my guide book), I am considering booking guided tours--- 1 in each city we are visiting (Venice, Rome, Florence-- we will day trip to Siena, Pisa/Lucca (love the idea about biking the walls), but I'll use my guide book and just enjoy those). I don't think we need a guide for Sorrento/Amalfi (we'll use the SITA bus and figure it out on our own).
So- what's the 1 guided tour you'd recommend we take in these cities (and are there others that are free?)?
Rome- Vatican?? (or the Colossium)? I need to choose one.
Venice- I've read about the Secret tour in the Doges Palace?
Florence- someone mentioned a "free" walk of Florence tour. "Free" (with tip at the end) sounds divine Would love to give my kids a quick history of the Renaissance (my girls will probably study it next year).
If our budget allows-- should we also consider a tour of Pompeii? (or would our guide book suffice?).
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip report: Paris-Bordeaux-Barcelona-Madrid
- 2 Towns around Lucca
- 3 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 4 Thinking about the Fjords
- 5 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 6 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 7 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 8 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 9 Athens Help
- 10 Sicily help
- 11 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 12 Experiencing London and Scotland by Sleeper Train
- 13 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 14 Cork questions
- 15 Restaurant recommendations in Sicily
- 16 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 17 Borghese Gallery Question
- 18 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 19 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 20 London vacation rental agency
- 21 Trains in Italy
- 22 Sim Card
- 23 7 nights in Iceland, in July 2018
- 24 Airline to Rome
- 25 Finland around Christmas time?