Hoping to get some more great advice from you all! Background- family of 5 with 3 teens (14, 14, 15) visiting Italy in July on a modest budget. Since Italy is filled with history (and I'd like to take a break here and there from looking in my guide book), I am considering booking guided tours--- 1 in each city we are visiting (Venice, Rome, Florence-- we will day trip to Siena, Pisa/Lucca (love the idea about biking the walls), but I'll use my guide book and just enjoy those). I don't think we need a guide for Sorrento/Amalfi (we'll use the SITA bus and figure it out on our own).
So- what's the 1 guided tour you'd recommend we take in these cities (and are there others that are free?)?
Rome- Vatican?? (or the Colossium)? I need to choose one.
Venice- I've read about the Secret tour in the Doges Palace?
Florence- someone mentioned a "free" walk of Florence tour. "Free" (with tip at the end) sounds divine Would love to give my kids a quick history of the Renaissance (my girls will probably study it next year).
If our budget allows-- should we also consider a tour of Pompeii? (or would our guide book suffice?).
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Alps Drive
- 2 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 3 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 4 Question about Alsa Bus from Cordoba to Granada
- 5 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 6 First time in Bulgaria
- 7 No Periods in British Written English!
- 8 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 9 St Denis Cathedral
- 10 Hotel Dauphine. Paris.
- 11 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 12 Paris cooking classes
- 13 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 14 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 15 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 16 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 17 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 18 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 19 Praiano
- 20 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 21 Help please
- 22 Funny One Michelin * Mix-Up in France!
- 23 Andalucia itinerary help
- 24 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 25 Lamezia Terme, Italy