Hoping to get some more great advice from you all! Background- family of 5 with 3 teens (14, 14, 15) visiting Italy in July on a modest budget. Since Italy is filled with history (and I'd like to take a break here and there from looking in my guide book), I am considering booking guided tours--- 1 in each city we are visiting (Venice, Rome, Florence-- we will day trip to Siena, Pisa/Lucca (love the idea about biking the walls), but I'll use my guide book and just enjoy those). I don't think we need a guide for Sorrento/Amalfi (we'll use the SITA bus and figure it out on our own).
So- what's the 1 guided tour you'd recommend we take in these cities (and are there others that are free?)?
Rome- Vatican?? (or the Colossium)? I need to choose one.
Venice- I've read about the Secret tour in the Doges Palace?
Florence- someone mentioned a "free" walk of Florence tour. "Free" (with tip at the end) sounds divine Would love to give my kids a quick history of the Renaissance (my girls will probably study it next year).
If our budget allows-- should we also consider a tour of Pompeii? (or would our guide book suffice?).
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Do not use MYIPB to ship from London
- 2 French restaurants
- 3 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 4 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 5 Scotland Trip
- 6 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 7 Croatia trip Planning
- 8 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 9 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 10 Europe for 5 days starting with Munich
- 11 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 12 Planning a European Trip
- 13 12 days trip to Amsterdam, Paris, germany and Swizerland
- 14 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 15 Trains in Alps and UK
- 16 13 N euro trip itinerary
- 17 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 18 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 19 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 20 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 21 Germany in December Trip Report
- 22 Cote d'Azur beach clubs
- 23 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 24 Travelling from Tromso to Lofoten Islands
- 25 Norway Self-Drive - Winter 2017