Hoping to get some more great advice from you all! Background- family of 5 with 3 teens (14, 14, 15) visiting Italy in July on a modest budget. Since Italy is filled with history (and I'd like to take a break here and there from looking in my guide book), I am considering booking guided tours--- 1 in each city we are visiting (Venice, Rome, Florence-- we will day trip to Siena, Pisa/Lucca (love the idea about biking the walls), but I'll use my guide book and just enjoy those). I don't think we need a guide for Sorrento/Amalfi (we'll use the SITA bus and figure it out on our own).
So- what's the 1 guided tour you'd recommend we take in these cities (and are there others that are free?)?
Rome- Vatican?? (or the Colossium)? I need to choose one.
Venice- I've read about the Secret tour in the Doges Palace?
Florence- someone mentioned a "free" walk of Florence tour. "Free" (with tip at the end) sounds divine Would love to give my kids a quick history of the Renaissance (my girls will probably study it next year).
If our budget allows-- should we also consider a tour of Pompeii? (or would our guide book suffice?).
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 2 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 3 Places to visit during a semester in Spain
- 4 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 5 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 6 Ronda: cheap parking, where to find?
- 7 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 8 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 9 Germany train help!
- 10 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 11 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 12 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 13 Another tipping question: concierges
- 14 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 15 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 16 Interesting places to visit
- 17 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 18 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 19 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 20 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 21 Acropolis Athens
- 22 Buying iDTGV tickets at a station
- 23 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 24 Private Tour from Malaga to Seville
- 25 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?