someone on this board suggested that we take a look at various English towns: York, Salisbury, Cambridge, Oxford, etc for a day trip out of London.
We have been to Winchester which by the way is a very lovely little town that we love but wish to see something new, so this is out.
We plan to take a train that will take us directly to places without cab ride. We will not reconsider renting a car at all.
We are interested in area with history and charm to explore.
If possible we can spent a morning in one place and afternoon with another on the way back to London. If a city is a "must visit" that takes all day, we are game for just one city to go.
Which place is your favorite and why?
THANKS! I love this forum, so full of info!
Best English towns to visit for a day out of London?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scottish Passport
- 2 Netflix has expanded to 6 new countries today.
- 3 2 weeks on Lake Maggiore
- 4 Oxford or Cambridge?
- 5 See You In Minsk
- 6 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 7 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 8 Florence Hotel Advice
- 9 California touring rock thrash band, France and Italy
- 10 Italy tours
- 11 Once Again Asking .... This Time Ireland
- 12 Air France strike
- 13 Why I can't make train seat reservation from Dresden to Berlin
- 14 Rheinland-Pfalz Day Pass & Rhine Cruise
- 15 Where is this place in Denmark?
- 16 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 17 Paris to Chantilly transportation question
- 18 Florence over Christmas w kids
- 19 Best day trips from Paris
- 20 Train Travel - Paris to Brussels & Bruges
- 21 cell phone usage in Italy (US)
- 22 Italy- Car Rental help- in a bit of a jam
- 23 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 24 Good Loire Valley 2 day tour group? Or also do Mt. St Michel?
- 25 Help with Amsterdam for Christmas and Paris for New Year’s