someone on this board suggested that we take a look at various English towns: York, Salisbury, Cambridge, Oxford, etc for a day trip out of London.
We have been to Winchester which by the way is a very lovely little town that we love but wish to see something new, so this is out.
We plan to take a train that will take us directly to places without cab ride. We will not reconsider renting a car at all.
We are interested in area with history and charm to explore.
If possible we can spent a morning in one place and afternoon with another on the way back to London. If a city is a "must visit" that takes all day, we are game for just one city to go.
Which place is your favorite and why?
THANKS! I love this forum, so full of info!
Best English towns to visit for a day out of London?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 5 Hour Layover in Amsterdam
- 2 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 3 Day Trips From Stockton-on-Tees
- 4 Budapest hotels - Ibis Heroes or Ibis Budapest City
- 5 London sites - skipping the queue?
- 6 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 7 London 2nd time around
- 8 A Good Base on Mallorca
- 9 Edinburgh - outings?
- 10 Croatia-Slovenia-Austria Itinerary Help!
- 11 London Day Trips - Soooo many options
- 12 Planning for Italy trip with a two-year old
- 13 Andaluzia - where to stay in Seville and Malaga?
- 14 Madrid airport at night - how to pass the time
- 15 What to wear
- 16 How much time did -you- spend in Delphi and Olympia?
- 17 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 18 London Pass - Available through AAA?
- 19 Disneyland Paris transportation
- 20 DH wants Paris but I need ACoast....itinerary help!
- 21 7 Nights in Paris
- 22 What to book ahead in Barcelona?
- 23 Irish Inns and B&B Reservations
- 24 Istanbul Itinerary
- 25 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person