someone on this board suggested that we take a look at various English towns: York, Salisbury, Cambridge, Oxford, etc for a day trip out of London.
We have been to Winchester which by the way is a very lovely little town that we love but wish to see something new, so this is out.
We plan to take a train that will take us directly to places without cab ride. We will not reconsider renting a car at all.
We are interested in area with history and charm to explore.
If possible we can spent a morning in one place and afternoon with another on the way back to London. If a city is a "must visit" that takes all day, we are game for just one city to go.
Which place is your favorite and why?
THANKS! I love this forum, so full of info!
Best English towns to visit for a day out of London?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 2 Schengen Visa Rules
- 3 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 4 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 5 England's Ruined Abbeys
- 6 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 7 Ireland / N Ireland clothing recommendations
- 8 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 9 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 10 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 11 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 12 Ireland / N Ireland Chauffer/Guide
- 13 Is my plan ok
- 14 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 15 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 16 5 Observations About Paris
- 17 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 18 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 19 Austria to Italy by car - best route
- 20 Southern Spain
- 21 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 22 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 23 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 24 Combinations euro rail and river cruise
- 25 Scotland November 2015