someone on this board suggested that we take a look at various English towns: York, Salisbury, Cambridge, Oxford, etc for a day trip out of London.
We have been to Winchester which by the way is a very lovely little town that we love but wish to see something new, so this is out.
We plan to take a train that will take us directly to places without cab ride. We will not reconsider renting a car at all.
We are interested in area with history and charm to explore.
If possible we can spent a morning in one place and afternoon with another on the way back to London. If a city is a "must visit" that takes all day, we are game for just one city to go.
Which place is your favorite and why?
THANKS! I love this forum, so full of info!
Best English towns to visit for a day out of London?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi transport to Pompeii ruins
- 2 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 3 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 4 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 5 best neighborhood/area to stay in rome?
- 6 Paris in April?
- 7 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 8 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 9 Flam, Norway railway
- 10 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 11 Amalfi (town) to Pompeii (ruins entrance-luggage storage area)
- 12 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 13 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 14 4 night stay for 5 in interlaken
- 15 Sicily Suggetions
- 16 He said , she said
- 17 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 18 car rental companies Italy
- 19 Seeking Portugal itinerary advice (April, 2014)
- 20 where to stay in Porto Portugal
- 21 quiet hotel in Rome?
- 22 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 23 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 24 quiet hotel
- 25 Hair Straightener for Europe!