someone on this board suggested that we take a look at various English towns: York, Salisbury, Cambridge, Oxford, etc for a day trip out of London.
We have been to Winchester which by the way is a very lovely little town that we love but wish to see something new, so this is out.
We plan to take a train that will take us directly to places without cab ride. We will not reconsider renting a car at all.
We are interested in area with history and charm to explore.
If possible we can spent a morning in one place and afternoon with another on the way back to London. If a city is a "must visit" that takes all day, we are game for just one city to go.
Which place is your favorite and why?
THANKS! I love this forum, so full of info!
Best English towns to visit for a day out of London?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tour Group Operators
- 2 Dress Code for the Vatican
- 3 I give up!!! Need some itinerary help please!!
- 4 Does this sound feasible?
- 5 I'm in a funk
- 6 Middle Aged Regular American Guy Review of the Amalfi Coast
- 7 Where to stay in Naples, Italy
- 8 One week in Ireland itinerary
- 9 Lake Como in October- when does season change
- 10 Hotel Millesime or Hotel des Marronniers or Hotel du Danube
- 11 8 Days in Spain - leaving in one week!!
- 12 Anyone familiar with Villa Treville?
- 13 Greek Itinerary advice needed, please.
- 14 One Town on the Amalfi Coast
- 15 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 16 Music, Hippos, Alchemists and More: A Berlin/Prague Trip Report
- 17 Sirop and Sandwiches, Normandy, Loire and Paris with our grandsons
- 18 Recs for Dublin B&B?
- 19 BMW European Delivery program
- 20 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 21 18 DAYS IN VIENNA, 7 DAYS WITH A 4-YEAR-OLD
- 22 Eating in University cafeterias
- 23 your favorite coasts/shores, lake or sea
- 24 travel to western Europe from India
- 25 Good Flamenco in Seville