A friend and I will be in the Provence area between the dates of Tuesday July 9 (arriving in the evening from Nice) and Saturday July 13 (leaving from the avignon tav station at 4 pm).
We do not want to rent a car, because neither of us can drive Manual and we are both under 25, and so would have to pay a young driver's fee of ~35 euro per day. These things together make renting a car beyond our financial means.
Because of this, we decided to make our base in Provence Avignon, because of it's connections to the major cities in provence, and the availability of tours to get to the smaller villages. However, looking for a hotel, we realized that unfortunately (or fortunately, if it were not such a headache) we will be in Avignon during the theatre festival, and so everything is booked! And what isn't booked, is way beyond our budget (we'd like to spend approx 100 euro a night, but will go a little above that if necessary), or far removed from the centre of town and the train/bus stations, which defeats the purpose of staying in Avignon.
Can you suggest a different base for us? Our interests lie in visiting the small villages, markets, vineyards and lavendar fields, but would like to spend at least a half day at les beaux and the pont du gard (figured we'd get a tour). As we don't have a car, we want something that is well connected via public transit and will make it easy for us to get out and see what we can of Provence. Or is it still worth it to stay in Avignon if we are on the outskirts?
One of our priorities is to attend the market in st remy on wednesday morning (which is why we're arriving on Tuesday night).
Thank you for any help you have to offer! And if you need anymore information, please let me know!
Best Base in Provence without a car (besides Avignon!)
- 1 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 2 Euro Train
- 3 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 4 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 5 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 6 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 7 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 8 Trip around Spain
- 9 Spain - Andalucia
- 10 Crete - trip report - 3 weeks May 2013, a great and surprising trip!
- 11 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 12 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 13 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 14 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 15 Travelling from Venice to the Cinque Terre towns.
- 16 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 17 One more last question on Bayeux
- 18 My first visit to Ireland, next year.
- 19 Medieval Tallinn
- 20 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 21 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 22 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 23 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 24 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 25 Italian language schools