A friend and I will be in the Provence area between the dates of Tuesday July 9 (arriving in the evening from Nice) and Saturday July 13 (leaving from the avignon tav station at 4 pm).
We do not want to rent a car, because neither of us can drive Manual and we are both under 25, and so would have to pay a young driver's fee of ~35 euro per day. These things together make renting a car beyond our financial means.
Because of this, we decided to make our base in Provence Avignon, because of it's connections to the major cities in provence, and the availability of tours to get to the smaller villages. However, looking for a hotel, we realized that unfortunately (or fortunately, if it were not such a headache) we will be in Avignon during the theatre festival, and so everything is booked! And what isn't booked, is way beyond our budget (we'd like to spend approx 100 euro a night, but will go a little above that if necessary), or far removed from the centre of town and the train/bus stations, which defeats the purpose of staying in Avignon.
Can you suggest a different base for us? Our interests lie in visiting the small villages, markets, vineyards and lavendar fields, but would like to spend at least a half day at les beaux and the pont du gard (figured we'd get a tour). As we don't have a car, we want something that is well connected via public transit and will make it easy for us to get out and see what we can of Provence. Or is it still worth it to stay in Avignon if we are on the outskirts?
One of our priorities is to attend the market in st remy on wednesday morning (which is why we're arriving on Tuesday night).
Thank you for any help you have to offer! And if you need anymore information, please let me know!
Best Base in Provence without a car (besides Avignon!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A week in the South of France Sept 2014
- 2 Two bedroom apt in Venice?
- 3 Travel from Positano to Rome in Sept
- 4 December in Munich, Salzburg, Graz, and Budapest
- 5 I went to Paris in June
- 6 Help with a small island in Greece
- 7 2 full days in Strasbourg - need advise on what tours to take
- 8 Brugge photo on Bing
- 9 Cotswolds village base
- 10 Santorini accomodations and more for a couple and baby
- 11 Trip report: Milan and Lake Como
- 12 Help with extended vacation / move to Italy with little ones …
- 13 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 14 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 15 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 16 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 17 Outerwear France Beginning of September
- 18 How many bus/metro rides in Paris is too many in a day?
- 19 Cheap Traveling in Spain
- 20 How long in Venice?
- 21 Guesthouses in Dublin
- 22 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 23 Getting cash in Spain
- 24 Need advice on Northern Spain itinerary
- 25 First Time Going to Europe