We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve been to Berlin and Prague previously, but it was a number of years ago and the visits were rushed and memories a little blurry. I had “bookmarked” both as places to which I needed to return. Prague has long been near the top of mr_go’s wish list. Dresden was new for both of us. By the way, this was just the two of us this time; DD is away at college (and planning her own international adventures now).
Given those locations, we hand-picked the time of year, figuring late spring would provide a good compromise—not too cold but before the summer crowds (particularly in Prague) arrived.
Actual dates were set early on by availability of upgrade awards on United Airlines, constraining us to eight nights. A few more days would have been nice, but as it turns out, things around here workwise and otherwise are a little hectic, and neither of us would have been able to be away much longer anyway. Our flight from the US via Frankfurt arrived in Berlin at 8 am, essentially giving us a full day on the front end, so that helped somewhat.
Having been to two of the three cities before, I had a pretty good idea of areas in which we should stay (Dresden is small enough that it didn’t require much research on locations). That helped us focus our accommodation research, and we eventually booked the following:
Berlin: three nights @ Adina Hackescher Markt (Mitte)
Dresden: two nights @ NH Dresden Altmarkt
Prague: three nights @ Domus Balthasar (Malá Strana)
All three were fantastic choices—both the accommodations and the location! More on that later.
We traveled between cities by train, booked via Bahn.de one to two weeks before we left home.
We’re thinking this trip report will be more of a random series of observations and experiences and not so much a day-by-day report…but we’ll see. There will be photos—but that’s going to take some time to organize.
Berlin to Dresden to Prague in eight days
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 2 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 3 Schengen Visa Rules
- 4 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 5 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 6 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 7 England's Ruined Abbeys
- 8 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 9 Ireland / N Ireland clothing recommendations
- 10 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 11 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 12 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 13 Ireland / N Ireland Chauffer/Guide
- 14 Is my plan ok
- 15 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 16 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 17 5 Observations About Paris
- 18 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 19 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 20 Austria to Italy by car - best route
- 21 Southern Spain
- 22 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 23 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 24 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 25 Combinations euro rail and river cruise