We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve been to Berlin and Prague previously, but it was a number of years ago and the visits were rushed and memories a little blurry. I had “bookmarked” both as places to which I needed to return. Prague has long been near the top of mr_go’s wish list. Dresden was new for both of us. By the way, this was just the two of us this time; DD is away at college (and planning her own international adventures now).
Given those locations, we hand-picked the time of year, figuring late spring would provide a good compromise—not too cold but before the summer crowds (particularly in Prague) arrived.
Actual dates were set early on by availability of upgrade awards on United Airlines, constraining us to eight nights. A few more days would have been nice, but as it turns out, things around here workwise and otherwise are a little hectic, and neither of us would have been able to be away much longer anyway. Our flight from the US via Frankfurt arrived in Berlin at 8 am, essentially giving us a full day on the front end, so that helped somewhat.
Having been to two of the three cities before, I had a pretty good idea of areas in which we should stay (Dresden is small enough that it didn’t require much research on locations). That helped us focus our accommodation research, and we eventually booked the following:
Berlin: three nights @ Adina Hackescher Markt (Mitte)
Dresden: two nights @ NH Dresden Altmarkt
Prague: three nights @ Domus Balthasar (Malá Strana)
All three were fantastic choices—both the accommodations and the location! More on that later.
We traveled between cities by train, booked via Bahn.de one to two weeks before we left home.
We’re thinking this trip report will be more of a random series of observations and experiences and not so much a day-by-day report…but we’ll see. There will be photos—but that’s going to take some time to organize.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 Week Euro Solo Trip - UK, Paris, Brussels
- 2 First Time Europe Trip
- 3 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 4 Please suggest a hike from Ravello- with kids
- 5 Amalfi or Positano
- 6 Poland in September
- 7 Driving in Sicily: Help!
- 8 Need a meeting point suggestion in southern France
- 9 Review of the Jhieronimus Bosch ehibition
- 10 Capri Ferry Tickets
- 11 Romantic Restaurants in Venice?
- 12 Cheltenham or Moreton-in-Marsh?
- 13 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 14 Tour or independent
- 15 Ireland Itinerary Help
- 16 5 women, Italy, need suggestions
- 17 Hertz Never Lost
- 18 student in denmark
- 19 The Fjords of Norway, Scandinavia - Itinerary Help for Family of Four
- 20 Corsica France...Calvi or Ajaccio or?
- 21 Sardinia, Italy and surrounding islands
- 22 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 23 Family-centered tour for Colosseum or Vatican? Please help!
- 24 Basic Itinerary for Flight to Denmark
- 25 Local Paris Restaurants?
Berlin to Dresden to Prague in eight days