We are travelling from Berlin to Potsdam for a day trip in mid August. Our hotel in Berlin is near Checkpoint Charlie, and we would ideally like to be on a train to Potsdam at around 9:30am (our tickets for Schloss Sansoucci are for midday, and we would like to get breakfast in Potsdam first).
I'm getting a bit confused by the rail network on how to get there. From what i'm reading, i see that we need to catch the S7 line. We are hoping to catch this from Friedrichstrasse train station in Berlin. My question is, are we able to catch this the entire way from Berlin - Potsdam, or will we have to stop in Wannse and switch to a DB train from Wannse to Potsdam (i can see on some instructions that the Berlin city limit stops at Wannse, and i was wondering if the trains therefore stop there as well).
I'm assuming buying the tickets will be as simple as using one of the ticket machines in the station. Are the directions really clear to which platform we will need to wait on? We are novices at catching trains in Europe, and it's a huge fear of mine that we will end up on the wrong train.
Thanks for any advice that you are able to give us!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 2 The DCC scam is spreading
- 3 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 4 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 5 Getting around London
- 6 Paris in August
- 7 Train travel to and from Paris
- 8 Christmas in Spain
- 9 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 10 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 11 Vigo Spain????
- 12 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 13 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 14 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 15 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 16 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 17 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 18 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 19 Advise for driving from Lecce, to Pescara, Italy.
- 20 Andalucia Spain
- 21 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 22 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 23 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 24 SURPRISE TRIP
- 25 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?