We are travelling from Berlin to Potsdam for a day trip in mid August. Our hotel in Berlin is near Checkpoint Charlie, and we would ideally like to be on a train to Potsdam at around 9:30am (our tickets for Schloss Sansoucci are for midday, and we would like to get breakfast in Potsdam first).
I'm getting a bit confused by the rail network on how to get there. From what i'm reading, i see that we need to catch the S7 line. We are hoping to catch this from Friedrichstrasse train station in Berlin. My question is, are we able to catch this the entire way from Berlin - Potsdam, or will we have to stop in Wannse and switch to a DB train from Wannse to Potsdam (i can see on some instructions that the Berlin city limit stops at Wannse, and i was wondering if the trains therefore stop there as well).
I'm assuming buying the tickets will be as simple as using one of the ticket machines in the station. Are the directions really clear to which platform we will need to wait on? We are novices at catching trains in Europe, and it's a huge fear of mine that we will end up on the wrong train.
Thanks for any advice that you are able to give us!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 nights in Portugal...need tuning !
- 2 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 3 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 4 London Restaurants
- 5 Corsica
- 6 17 days in England
- 7 VENICE
- 8 Norway travel help: Bergen-Gjendesheim-Oslo
- 9 London best location
- 10 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 11 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 12 Transportation Tips/Advice for Spain (itinerary included)
- 13 1 week in andalusia in early June - suggestions please
- 14 An Introduction to French Wines...
- 15 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 16 Prague, Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest Help
- 17 Scandinavian itinerary sanity check
- 18 travel around Spain
- 19 Train up the Jungfrau
- 20 credit and debit cards
- 21 Best sites in Slovenia and Croatia
- 22 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 23 Driving (hire car) in London…
- 24 CDG to Marais transfer
- 25 Train from Charles de Gaulle