We are travelling from Berlin to Potsdam for a day trip in mid August. Our hotel in Berlin is near Checkpoint Charlie, and we would ideally like to be on a train to Potsdam at around 9:30am (our tickets for Schloss Sansoucci are for midday, and we would like to get breakfast in Potsdam first).
I'm getting a bit confused by the rail network on how to get there. From what i'm reading, i see that we need to catch the S7 line. We are hoping to catch this from Friedrichstrasse train station in Berlin. My question is, are we able to catch this the entire way from Berlin - Potsdam, or will we have to stop in Wannse and switch to a DB train from Wannse to Potsdam (i can see on some instructions that the Berlin city limit stops at Wannse, and i was wondering if the trains therefore stop there as well).
I'm assuming buying the tickets will be as simple as using one of the ticket machines in the station. Are the directions really clear to which platform we will need to wait on? We are novices at catching trains in Europe, and it's a huge fear of mine that we will end up on the wrong train.
Thanks for any advice that you are able to give us!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 2 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 3 Cartagena Spain
- 4 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 5 Malaga Spain
- 6 Ibiiza Spain
- 7 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 8 Iceland trip report!
- 9 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 10 Seville to Cordoba
- 11 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 12 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 13 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 14 Stowing Luggage at Florence for a day!
- 15 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 16 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 17 3 nights in Madrid
- 18 Personalised Experiences for Tourists
- 19 Driving a rental car from Croatia to Slovenia
- 20 ATM
- 21 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 22 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 23 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 24 London 6 day itinerary
- 25 London Hotel - Different Request