I'm trying to make some final decisions regarding our upcoming family trip (parents and 2 teenagers) to Europe in Jan-Feb 2013. It's been really hard to decide whether we should visit Munich or Berlin, and I want to allocate 3-4 days for either one or the other. It'll be our first time in Germany -we'll be flying from Budapest- and we would really like to get to know the main sights it offers for a first-time visitor.
Considering that it's going to be winter-time, do you think that makes one of the cities a better place to visit? Our main interests include historic sites, some museums, WW II places, but we would also like to do some shopping and enjoy walking around the city center. Given our limited time, I don't think we'll have enough time for a day-trip. Maybe if we chose Berlin I could consider going to Potsdam, but is it really nice to visit when it's likely to be really cold and snowy?
On the other hand, if we chose Munich, is it possible (and recommended) to visit some of the old towns nearby?
I've done a lot of research but still can't make up my mind...any suggestions, recommendations about which of the cities we should choose would be great!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 2 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 3 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 4 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 5 One free day in Barcelona
- 6 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 7 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 8 initial planning: Dublin, solo, February
- 9 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 10 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 11 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 12 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 13 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 14 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 15 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 16 Bordeaux to Nice
- 17 Greek Village
- 18 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 19 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 20 Uber vs. TfL
- 21 Berlin
- 22 A Trip Report: Springtime in Italy - May 9 to June 2, 2011
- 23 Germany or Sweden
- 24 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 25 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce