I'm trying to make some final decisions regarding our upcoming family trip (parents and 2 teenagers) to Europe in Jan-Feb 2013. It's been really hard to decide whether we should visit Munich or Berlin, and I want to allocate 3-4 days for either one or the other. It'll be our first time in Germany -we'll be flying from Budapest- and we would really like to get to know the main sights it offers for a first-time visitor.
Considering that it's going to be winter-time, do you think that makes one of the cities a better place to visit? Our main interests include historic sites, some museums, WW II places, but we would also like to do some shopping and enjoy walking around the city center. Given our limited time, I don't think we'll have enough time for a day-trip. Maybe if we chose Berlin I could consider going to Potsdam, but is it really nice to visit when it's likely to be really cold and snowy?
On the other hand, if we chose Munich, is it possible (and recommended) to visit some of the old towns nearby?
I've done a lot of research but still can't make up my mind...any suggestions, recommendations about which of the cities we should choose would be great!
Berlin OR Munich? Feb-2013
- 1 See northern lights,end of 2013: Norway/Sweden/Finland
- 2 France by rail or car?
- 3 France and Italy for wedding and honeymoon
- 4 Berlin Excursion from our ship...
- 5 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 6 Tool for comparing train cost with and without Eurail
- 7 Anyone used Rive Gauche Rive Droit, or worked with William Royer?
- 8 London at Xmas
- 9 Do I Need A Visa for London?
- 10 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 11 Bank of England Museum
- 12 Need restaurant suggestions for Chipping Camden!
- 13 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 14 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 15 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 16 Motor Home North Italy Route Suggestions
- 17 France bed and breakfasts and restaurants in Provence, Vaison La Romaine, Uzès, Paris
- 18 East coast trains
- 19 Florence Day Trip to Sienna: should we stop along the way? Where?
- 20 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September
- 21 Which tour company would be best?
- 22 First night after arriving in Milan
- 23 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 24 Help with Itinerary for Marseille/Provence trip in September
- 25 Planning my days in Paris