I'm new to this forum but I'd like to start off by saying I've done some thorough reading in the past few days trying to find ideas, but do to the overwhelming amount of contradicting opinions I feel like I need some assistance. I do apologize in advance if this has been covered in other topics.
I have traveled extensively around various parts of the world so I've come to realize I prefer not having much of an itinerary and sort of let what I encounter lead the way... with that being said...
My scenario: This will be my first trip to Europe. With some time frame limitations I am allotting myself a 16 day stretch (minus flight time) in mid-August to make it from Berlin to Brussels. So 14 days on the ground. I've been planning to make a trip for two summers now and things have come up along the way, so I finally pulled the trigger on the cheapest RT flight I could find in this time frame and I'm going to just work with what I have.
I am inquiring about places worth interest along that route (which I plan on traveling via DB, at least through Germany) and how much time to spend in said place. The one place I would really like to explore, even if it's only a day or two is Cochem and it's vicinity, but it isn't necessarily do or die.
My interests include architecture and photography, but at the same time maintaining some distance from the overly touristy areas. Tough in August, I know.
Or, on the contrary with that amount of time, would it be worthwhile to extend my route outside of German territory leaving enough travel time to make it to Brussels.
Sorry for the extensive rambling... Any and all considerations greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train Help
- 2 Family of 4 in a couchette from Venice
- 3 Alhambra to Hammam al Andalusus Spa / best option
- 4 Austria
- 5 Bologna, Modena or Parma for a base?
- 6 Salento penninsula
- 7 Train rides
- 8 What about Basque Country?
- 9 Bursa/Iznik
- 10 Paris dinner cruises...best of the best if there is such a thing
- 11 Bologna or Bergamo?
- 12 Tuscany Region - Rental Car or Public Transportation?
- 13 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 14 Plane or train between Copenhagen and Stockholm
- 15 Is a canal pass and museum entry worth buying ahead of visit?
- 16 Charles Degaulle question
- 17 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 18 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 19 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 20 12 days in Austria
- 21 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 22 Amsterdam in August
- 23 Tuscany Region - Public Transportation or Rental Car?
- 24 Pompeii luggage storage
- 25 Croatia Itinerary Advice - Thank you!