I'm new to this forum but I'd like to start off by saying I've done some thorough reading in the past few days trying to find ideas, but do to the overwhelming amount of contradicting opinions I feel like I need some assistance. I do apologize in advance if this has been covered in other topics.
I have traveled extensively around various parts of the world so I've come to realize I prefer not having much of an itinerary and sort of let what I encounter lead the way... with that being said...
My scenario: This will be my first trip to Europe. With some time frame limitations I am allotting myself a 16 day stretch (minus flight time) in mid-August to make it from Berlin to Brussels. So 14 days on the ground. I've been planning to make a trip for two summers now and things have come up along the way, so I finally pulled the trigger on the cheapest RT flight I could find in this time frame and I'm going to just work with what I have.
I am inquiring about places worth interest along that route (which I plan on traveling via DB, at least through Germany) and how much time to spend in said place. The one place I would really like to explore, even if it's only a day or two is Cochem and it's vicinity, but it isn't necessarily do or die.
My interests include architecture and photography, but at the same time maintaining some distance from the overly touristy areas. Tough in August, I know.
Or, on the contrary with that amount of time, would it be worthwhile to extend my route outside of German territory leaving enough travel time to make it to Brussels.
Sorry for the extensive rambling... Any and all considerations greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Special Settings for Sitting! Paris
- 2 ITALY – ON AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH: Venice & Northern Italy
- 3 Trans-Siberia Train
- 4 France: Montpellier, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Loire, Paris
- 5 Rome/Bologna Itinerary
- 6 Tot or Trans Montserrat tickets
- 7 Discover Effortless Way To Construct Muscle Fast
- 8 Edgard bus website English version?
- 9 Are you looking for most affordable tour packages?
- 10 Train from Budapest to Bratislava or Brno
- 11 Charming hotel in Milan?
- 12 Nike tennis shoes and leggings
- 13 Scotland/UK itinerary
- 14 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 15 Trip report: 24 days in Croatia, Slovenia and Budapest
- 16 Paris New Years Eve and New Years Day
- 17 Car rental/return near London
- 18 Anyone been to the Goodwood Festival of Speed?
- 19 Early Flight Out of Stockholm on Disembarkation Day
- 20 The Mystery and Beauty of Galicia
- 21 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 22 Europe Itinerary
- 23 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 24 Camino Redux
- 25 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg