I'm new to this forum but I'd like to start off by saying I've done some thorough reading in the past few days trying to find ideas, but do to the overwhelming amount of contradicting opinions I feel like I need some assistance. I do apologize in advance if this has been covered in other topics.
I have traveled extensively around various parts of the world so I've come to realize I prefer not having much of an itinerary and sort of let what I encounter lead the way... with that being said...
My scenario: This will be my first trip to Europe. With some time frame limitations I am allotting myself a 16 day stretch (minus flight time) in mid-August to make it from Berlin to Brussels. So 14 days on the ground. I've been planning to make a trip for two summers now and things have come up along the way, so I finally pulled the trigger on the cheapest RT flight I could find in this time frame and I'm going to just work with what I have.
I am inquiring about places worth interest along that route (which I plan on traveling via DB, at least through Germany) and how much time to spend in said place. The one place I would really like to explore, even if it's only a day or two is Cochem and it's vicinity, but it isn't necessarily do or die.
My interests include architecture and photography, but at the same time maintaining some distance from the overly touristy areas. Tough in August, I know.
Or, on the contrary with that amount of time, would it be worthwhile to extend my route outside of German territory leaving enough travel time to make it to Brussels.
Sorry for the extensive rambling... Any and all considerations greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is it just me or are German cities depressingly ugly?
- 2 Two weeks in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 3 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 4 First Draft: Croatia, BiH, and Slovenia
- 5 Road trip - Italian to French Riveria
- 6 Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria for Christmas...?
- 7 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 8 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 9 AVE train tickets questions.
- 10 Greece: Final thoughts and pictures (I hope)
- 11 Interlaken-Lucerne Express 19th July- reservation required??
- 12 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 13 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 14 France to stop making foie grois
- 15 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 16 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 17 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 18 Greece or Spain in April with Kids?
- 19 How big backpack do I need?
- 20 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 21 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 22 Path of the Gods Question
- 23 Loire Valley 12 days
- 24 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 25 a few days in berlin and auschwitz?