I'm new to this forum but I'd like to start off by saying I've done some thorough reading in the past few days trying to find ideas, but do to the overwhelming amount of contradicting opinions I feel like I need some assistance. I do apologize in advance if this has been covered in other topics.
I have traveled extensively around various parts of the world so I've come to realize I prefer not having much of an itinerary and sort of let what I encounter lead the way... with that being said...
My scenario: This will be my first trip to Europe. With some time frame limitations I am allotting myself a 16 day stretch (minus flight time) in mid-August to make it from Berlin to Brussels. So 14 days on the ground. I've been planning to make a trip for two summers now and things have come up along the way, so I finally pulled the trigger on the cheapest RT flight I could find in this time frame and I'm going to just work with what I have.
I am inquiring about places worth interest along that route (which I plan on traveling via DB, at least through Germany) and how much time to spend in said place. The one place I would really like to explore, even if it's only a day or two is Cochem and it's vicinity, but it isn't necessarily do or die.
My interests include architecture and photography, but at the same time maintaining some distance from the overly touristy areas. Tough in August, I know.
Or, on the contrary with that amount of time, would it be worthwhile to extend my route outside of German territory leaving enough travel time to make it to Brussels.
Sorry for the extensive rambling... Any and all considerations greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One day in Paris!
- 2 Almafi Coast Vs. French Riviera
- 3 Musee D'Orsay or the Louvre
- 4 Puglia, where to stay for 8 days or so
- 5 Champagne Houses open in December - Reims
- 6 Has anyone ever booked a Rome food tour with Elizabeth Minchilli?
- 7 I want to buy a European flat iron
- 8 Eiffel Tower - look at it, eat there, or go up
- 9 Must do/see in Rome
- 10 Travel in England and Scotland
- 11 Europe Tour. Information of any kind.
- 12 London(ish) calling. 33C at 10:00am!
- 13 neighbourhood in Barcelona question
- 14 Free use of a owned apartment in Berlin
- 15 Triple Occupancy room Amalfi Coast
- 16 Groupon Tours
- 17 RailPass England / Scotland?
- 18 St. Petersburg plus
- 19 U K Shelves Ambitious Rail Improvements
- 20 Help required for Germany trip plan
- 21 Baltic Sea Ports of Call and suggested Tour Guides
- 22 One night between Marseille and St.Remy?
- 23 Irish Hotel Choices for Killarney and Adare
- 24 Georges - Pompidou center
- 25 Germany to Austria in 11 days? Help!