I'm new to this forum but I'd like to start off by saying I've done some thorough reading in the past few days trying to find ideas, but do to the overwhelming amount of contradicting opinions I feel like I need some assistance. I do apologize in advance if this has been covered in other topics.
I have traveled extensively around various parts of the world so I've come to realize I prefer not having much of an itinerary and sort of let what I encounter lead the way... with that being said...
My scenario: This will be my first trip to Europe. With some time frame limitations I am allotting myself a 16 day stretch (minus flight time) in mid-August to make it from Berlin to Brussels. So 14 days on the ground. I've been planning to make a trip for two summers now and things have come up along the way, so I finally pulled the trigger on the cheapest RT flight I could find in this time frame and I'm going to just work with what I have.
I am inquiring about places worth interest along that route (which I plan on traveling via DB, at least through Germany) and how much time to spend in said place. The one place I would really like to explore, even if it's only a day or two is Cochem and it's vicinity, but it isn't necessarily do or die.
My interests include architecture and photography, but at the same time maintaining some distance from the overly touristy areas. Tough in August, I know.
Or, on the contrary with that amount of time, would it be worthwhile to extend my route outside of German territory leaving enough travel time to make it to Brussels.
Sorry for the extensive rambling... Any and all considerations greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 2 Sim Card
- 3 London vacation rental agency
- 4 Transport for local Venice travel
- 5 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 6 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 7 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 8 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 9 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 10 Restaurant recommendations in Sicily
- 11 Sicily help
- 12 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 13 Borghese Gallery Question
- 14 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 15 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 16 Lunch stop with view of Rio–Antirrio Bridge
- 17 Towns around Lucca
- 18 Cork questions
- 19 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
- 20 Italy Vacation
- 21 Stu Tower
- 22 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 23 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 24 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 25 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa