Hello Fodors friends!
Just booked tickets from Vancouver to Berlin and Bologna to Vancouver for March 16 - April 2. Our son is in school in Magdeburg, near Berlin, and it's his break. I could use some help deciding how long to spend in Berlin v. Italy, and how to map out our Italy portion.
Our initial thoughts are this:
Arrive in Berlin 3/17 (booked)
2 nights Magdeburg
5 nights Berlin
Fly to Italy (haven't booked that yet)
9 nights in Italy.
Leave Bologna 4/2 (booked)
First Q: 7 nights in Germany and 9 in Italy - does that sound like the right mix? I hear great things about Berlin and Magdeburg sounds lovely.
Second Q: Italy itinerary.
We've been to Italy many times and always enjoy ourselves thoroughly. I'm trying to decide on a mix of a road trip & a longer stay in Bologna for the excellent train connections OR 9 nights in Bologna with visits to Parma, Ferrara, Padua, Ravenna, Venice. I've been to Ravenna 4 times, DH twice. We've been to Venice and don't love it but I'd like to visit the museums there again. I'm eager to go to Ferrara, Parma and the other cities in that area. I've stayed in Bologna before (5 days) but DH hasn't been.
It's a tough choice. There are more than enough day trips from Bologna to spend 9 nights but DH loves driving and we both really liked Urbino. I was in northern Tuscany (Montepulciano and that area + the Garfagnana) for nearly two weeks with our daughter in 2013. The landscapes are stunning and I'm interested in seeing them again in the spring. We've been to Umbria too and are open to that area.
DH prefers smaller cities or towns (he's leery of that much time in Berlin). We like museums, history, walking, old towns, enjoying the lifestyle of Italy, landscapes. Our son will be with us most of the time in Italy and will be showing us around his places in Germany. He has friends in Venice and will head there at some point.
We'll be there over Easter and it seems like we may want to be settled in somewhere like Bologna for at least those two days as I assume many things will be closed.
Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 2 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 3 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 4 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 5 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 6 Back from Paris
- 7 Trip suggestion
- 8 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 9 Island hopping Croatia - into nature/hiking
- 10 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 11 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 12 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 13 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 14 Dijon in December!
- 15 International Flight Question
- 16 5 Day trip with wife & teens - Nice to Paris
- 17 Summer Travel order
- 18 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 19 Fifty Years Later, Paris
- 20 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 21 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 22 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 23 Another tipping question: concierges
- 24 Black hair stylists or braids in Barcelona
- 25 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
Hello Fodors friends!