Hello Fodors friends!
Just booked tickets from Vancouver to Berlin and Bologna to Vancouver for March 16 - April 2. Our son is in school in Magdeburg, near Berlin, and it's his break. I could use some help deciding how long to spend in Berlin v. Italy, and how to map out our Italy portion.
Our initial thoughts are this:
Arrive in Berlin 3/17 (booked)
2 nights Magdeburg
5 nights Berlin
Fly to Italy (haven't booked that yet)
9 nights in Italy.
Leave Bologna 4/2 (booked)
First Q: 7 nights in Germany and 9 in Italy - does that sound like the right mix? I hear great things about Berlin and Magdeburg sounds lovely.
Second Q: Italy itinerary.
We've been to Italy many times and always enjoy ourselves thoroughly. I'm trying to decide on a mix of a road trip & a longer stay in Bologna for the excellent train connections OR 9 nights in Bologna with visits to Parma, Ferrara, Padua, Ravenna, Venice. I've been to Ravenna 4 times, DH twice. We've been to Venice and don't love it but I'd like to visit the museums there again. I'm eager to go to Ferrara, Parma and the other cities in that area. I've stayed in Bologna before (5 days) but DH hasn't been.
It's a tough choice. There are more than enough day trips from Bologna to spend 9 nights but DH loves driving and we both really liked Urbino. I was in northern Tuscany (Montepulciano and that area + the Garfagnana) for nearly two weeks with our daughter in 2013. The landscapes are stunning and I'm interested in seeing them again in the spring. We've been to Umbria too and are open to that area.
DH prefers smaller cities or towns (he's leery of that much time in Berlin). We like museums, history, walking, old towns, enjoying the lifestyle of Italy, landscapes. Our son will be with us most of the time in Italy and will be showing us around his places in Germany. He has friends in Venice and will head there at some point.
We'll be there over Easter and it seems like we may want to be settled in somewhere like Bologna for at least those two days as I assume many things will be closed.
Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Austria + Italy 10 Days places to visit in July
- 2 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 3 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 4 Where to stay - Honeymoon in Southern Tuscany
- 5 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 6 Two days in Rome
- 7 London is it worth it?
- 8 Ideas on our first Europe holiday
- 9 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 10 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice
- 11 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 12 International drivers permit
- 13 First Timers Traveling to Italy - Help!
- 14 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 15 Seeking Scenic Route from Bath to Devon
- 16 Early morning flight Venice/VCE
- 17 First visit to London
- 18 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 19 Train from Paris to Reims for day trip
- 20 itinerary recommendation 6 nights Spain (Barcelona/Madrid)
- 21 Naples + Walking Tour
- 22 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 23 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 24 Agriturismo with train access to Florence
- 25 The essence of Swiss in 4-5 days for first timers
Hello Fodors friends!