Hello Fodors friends!
Just booked tickets from Vancouver to Berlin and Bologna to Vancouver for March 16 - April 2. Our son is in school in Magdeburg, near Berlin, and it's his break. I could use some help deciding how long to spend in Berlin v. Italy, and how to map out our Italy portion.
Our initial thoughts are this:
Arrive in Berlin 3/17 (booked)
2 nights Magdeburg
5 nights Berlin
Fly to Italy (haven't booked that yet)
9 nights in Italy.
Leave Bologna 4/2 (booked)
First Q: 7 nights in Germany and 9 in Italy - does that sound like the right mix? I hear great things about Berlin and Magdeburg sounds lovely.
Second Q: Italy itinerary.
We've been to Italy many times and always enjoy ourselves thoroughly. I'm trying to decide on a mix of a road trip & a longer stay in Bologna for the excellent train connections OR 9 nights in Bologna with visits to Parma, Ferrara, Padua, Ravenna, Venice. I've been to Ravenna 4 times, DH twice. We've been to Venice and don't love it but I'd like to visit the museums there again. I'm eager to go to Ferrara, Parma and the other cities in that area. I've stayed in Bologna before (5 days) but DH hasn't been.
It's a tough choice. There are more than enough day trips from Bologna to spend 9 nights but DH loves driving and we both really liked Urbino. I was in northern Tuscany (Montepulciano and that area + the Garfagnana) for nearly two weeks with our daughter in 2013. The landscapes are stunning and I'm interested in seeing them again in the spring. We've been to Umbria too and are open to that area.
DH prefers smaller cities or towns (he's leery of that much time in Berlin). We like museums, history, walking, old towns, enjoying the lifestyle of Italy, landscapes. Our son will be with us most of the time in Italy and will be showing us around his places in Germany. He has friends in Venice and will head there at some point.
We'll be there over Easter and it seems like we may want to be settled in somewhere like Bologna for at least those two days as I assume many things will be closed.
Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 dinner jackets
- 2 릴게임야마토 ● 연결 :≫tt349.com≪
- 3 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 4 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 5 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 6 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 7 2 weeks Europe trip
- 8 Monemvasia or Gefyra
- 9 Alkmaar to Brussels - things to see?
- 10 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 11 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 12 ALICANTE - 1 Day Excursions
- 13 Please help me eat well in Greece!
- 14 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 15 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 16 Santa Margherta Ligure, Rapallo, Portofino....
- 17 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 18 Cordoba Overnight?
- 19 ALMERIA - 1 Day Excusions
- 20 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 21 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 22 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 23 Dublin Leap Card
- 24 vegetarian in spain
- 25 Rec for carryon bag - European sized
Hello Fodors friends!