Hello Fodors friends!
Just booked tickets from Vancouver to Berlin and Bologna to Vancouver for March 16 - April 2. Our son is in school in Magdeburg, near Berlin, and it's his break. I could use some help deciding how long to spend in Berlin v. Italy, and how to map out our Italy portion.
Our initial thoughts are this:
Arrive in Berlin 3/17 (booked)
2 nights Magdeburg
5 nights Berlin
Fly to Italy (haven't booked that yet)
9 nights in Italy.
Leave Bologna 4/2 (booked)
First Q: 7 nights in Germany and 9 in Italy - does that sound like the right mix? I hear great things about Berlin and Magdeburg sounds lovely.
Second Q: Italy itinerary.
We've been to Italy many times and always enjoy ourselves thoroughly. I'm trying to decide on a mix of a road trip & a longer stay in Bologna for the excellent train connections OR 9 nights in Bologna with visits to Parma, Ferrara, Padua, Ravenna, Venice. I've been to Ravenna 4 times, DH twice. We've been to Venice and don't love it but I'd like to visit the museums there again. I'm eager to go to Ferrara, Parma and the other cities in that area. I've stayed in Bologna before (5 days) but DH hasn't been.
It's a tough choice. There are more than enough day trips from Bologna to spend 9 nights but DH loves driving and we both really liked Urbino. I was in northern Tuscany (Montepulciano and that area + the Garfagnana) for nearly two weeks with our daughter in 2013. The landscapes are stunning and I'm interested in seeing them again in the spring. We've been to Umbria too and are open to that area.
DH prefers smaller cities or towns (he's leery of that much time in Berlin). We like museums, history, walking, old towns, enjoying the lifestyle of Italy, landscapes. Our son will be with us most of the time in Italy and will be showing us around his places in Germany. He has friends in Venice and will head there at some point.
We'll be there over Easter and it seems like we may want to be settled in somewhere like Bologna for at least those two days as I assume many things will be closed.
Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 2 Barcelona rental for two couples??
- 3 Norwegian Air?
- 4 Highclare Castle
- 5 Trip Report: Denmark, 2017
- 6 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
- 7 Suggestions for 3 greek islands
- 8 Salzburg itinerary review
- 9 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 10 What's up with the showers in Europe??
- 11 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 12 Harry Potter, London Theater
- 13 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 14 Norway in a nutshell in Winter Itinerary
- 15 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 16 Wine visits from Barcelona
- 17 Request Hotel Suggestion in London
- 18 Travelling to Russia during FIFA
- 19 Spain: train/rental car help
- 20 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 21 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 22 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 23 Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy - scenic road trips/countryside?
- 24 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 25 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
Hello Fodors friends!