Would you spend more time in Bergen (by slighting Oslo), and, would you fly to Oslo from Bergen or take the train?
I am heading to Norway in early July. I land in Bergen and fly home from Oslo. I am also taking a hiking tour with Backroads which starts the day after I arrive in Bergen.
The first full day when I land I will have to explore Bergen, but of course I'll be somewhat jetlagged and the next morning I will take the train to Voss to meet the Backroads team.
Our hiking tour is 5 nights, and we come back to Bergen the following Friday at noon. My flight from Oslo leaves Sunday morning.
I currently plan to leave Bergen as soon as the ferry docks - catch a train to Oslo which means 7 hours through scenery, arriving at Oslo in time for dinner. One full day (Saturday) in Oslo and Sunday early morning departure.
I could alternatively spend the rest of the day in Bergen (with no jet lag), get up early the next morning and head to Oslo. If I take the train it means nothing more than dinner and a stroll in Oslo and departure the next morning. It is light until quite late so I imagine I can go to the sculpture park, at least (if it is open late). But no museums and no sightseeing in Oslo, really. Just a place to sleep, window shop, eat and then leave.
If I fly I would miss the train ride... but given that I will be spending the entire week hiking in mountains, then on a glacier, boating on the fjords and so on... will missing this 7 hour ride be dreadful? Should I fly to Oslo regardless of which day I leave? I could feasibly spend the day in Bergen (if I can drop my luggage somewhere that is) and fly to Oslo that evening... or even fly to Oslo the next morning and actually have an afternoon in Oslo.
It seems that no matter which I choose I am giving myself very little time in Oslo which deserves more than a day, so perhaps I should go for broke and leave Oslo to another trip entirely...
Bergen or Oslo? Train or fly...
- 1 Spain Train Reservations - Seat assignment
- 2 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 3 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 4 Place to propose
- 5 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 6 London 12 day itinerary suggestions needed
- 7 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 8 From Bologna to Barcelona
- 9 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 10 British drivers
- 11 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 12 Budapest Vienna Munich - March 2014
- 13 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 14 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 15 Le Marche and Rome - Part 1
- 16 Naples report - including staying in the centro storico
- 17 Nuremberg Christkindlsmarkt Opening 2013
- 18 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 19 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 20 Portugal in September
- 21 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 22 Prague to Dresen on the train
- 23 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 24 Can someone tell me about the area around Castelfiorentino?
- 25 Need help deciding - Italy or Spain in winter