Would you spend more time in Bergen (by slighting Oslo), and, would you fly to Oslo from Bergen or take the train?
I am heading to Norway in early July. I land in Bergen and fly home from Oslo. I am also taking a hiking tour with Backroads which starts the day after I arrive in Bergen.
The first full day when I land I will have to explore Bergen, but of course I'll be somewhat jetlagged and the next morning I will take the train to Voss to meet the Backroads team.
Our hiking tour is 5 nights, and we come back to Bergen the following Friday at noon. My flight from Oslo leaves Sunday morning.
I currently plan to leave Bergen as soon as the ferry docks - catch a train to Oslo which means 7 hours through scenery, arriving at Oslo in time for dinner. One full day (Saturday) in Oslo and Sunday early morning departure.
I could alternatively spend the rest of the day in Bergen (with no jet lag), get up early the next morning and head to Oslo. If I take the train it means nothing more than dinner and a stroll in Oslo and departure the next morning. It is light until quite late so I imagine I can go to the sculpture park, at least (if it is open late). But no museums and no sightseeing in Oslo, really. Just a place to sleep, window shop, eat and then leave.
If I fly I would miss the train ride... but given that I will be spending the entire week hiking in mountains, then on a glacier, boating on the fjords and so on... will missing this 7 hour ride be dreadful? Should I fly to Oslo regardless of which day I leave? I could feasibly spend the day in Bergen (if I can drop my luggage somewhere that is) and fly to Oslo that evening... or even fly to Oslo the next morning and actually have an afternoon in Oslo.
It seems that no matter which I choose I am giving myself very little time in Oslo which deserves more than a day, so perhaps I should go for broke and leave Oslo to another trip entirely...
Bergen or Oslo? Train or fly...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 2 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 3 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 4 I dream of Europe
- 5 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 6 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 7 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 8 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 9 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 10 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 11 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 12 Rome Food Tour
- 13 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 14 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 15 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep
- 16 First Time to UK since 2001
- 17 Help with England/Wales tour
- 18 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 19 Autumn in Paris
- 20 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 21 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 22 Public holiday Prague 17 Nov
- 23 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 24 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 25 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction