Would you spend more time in Bergen (by slighting Oslo), and, would you fly to Oslo from Bergen or take the train?
I am heading to Norway in early July. I land in Bergen and fly home from Oslo. I am also taking a hiking tour with Backroads which starts the day after I arrive in Bergen.
The first full day when I land I will have to explore Bergen, but of course I'll be somewhat jetlagged and the next morning I will take the train to Voss to meet the Backroads team.
Our hiking tour is 5 nights, and we come back to Bergen the following Friday at noon. My flight from Oslo leaves Sunday morning.
I currently plan to leave Bergen as soon as the ferry docks - catch a train to Oslo which means 7 hours through scenery, arriving at Oslo in time for dinner. One full day (Saturday) in Oslo and Sunday early morning departure.
I could alternatively spend the rest of the day in Bergen (with no jet lag), get up early the next morning and head to Oslo. If I take the train it means nothing more than dinner and a stroll in Oslo and departure the next morning. It is light until quite late so I imagine I can go to the sculpture park, at least (if it is open late). But no museums and no sightseeing in Oslo, really. Just a place to sleep, window shop, eat and then leave.
If I fly I would miss the train ride... but given that I will be spending the entire week hiking in mountains, then on a glacier, boating on the fjords and so on... will missing this 7 hour ride be dreadful? Should I fly to Oslo regardless of which day I leave? I could feasibly spend the day in Bergen (if I can drop my luggage somewhere that is) and fly to Oslo that evening... or even fly to Oslo the next morning and actually have an afternoon in Oslo.
It seems that no matter which I choose I am giving myself very little time in Oslo which deserves more than a day, so perhaps I should go for broke and leave Oslo to another trip entirely...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 2 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 3 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 4 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 5 Zurich to Milan trip
- 6 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 7 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 8 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 9 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 10 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 13 San Sebastián
- 14 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 15 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 16 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 17 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 18 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 19 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 20 Planning A trip
- 21 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 22 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 23 Ireland with 2 young kids
- 24 Norway Outside the Nutshell
- 25 Castle Stays in Wales