Would you spend more time in Bergen (by slighting Oslo), and, would you fly to Oslo from Bergen or take the train?
I am heading to Norway in early July. I land in Bergen and fly home from Oslo. I am also taking a hiking tour with Backroads which starts the day after I arrive in Bergen.
The first full day when I land I will have to explore Bergen, but of course I'll be somewhat jetlagged and the next morning I will take the train to Voss to meet the Backroads team.
Our hiking tour is 5 nights, and we come back to Bergen the following Friday at noon. My flight from Oslo leaves Sunday morning.
I currently plan to leave Bergen as soon as the ferry docks - catch a train to Oslo which means 7 hours through scenery, arriving at Oslo in time for dinner. One full day (Saturday) in Oslo and Sunday early morning departure.
I could alternatively spend the rest of the day in Bergen (with no jet lag), get up early the next morning and head to Oslo. If I take the train it means nothing more than dinner and a stroll in Oslo and departure the next morning. It is light until quite late so I imagine I can go to the sculpture park, at least (if it is open late). But no museums and no sightseeing in Oslo, really. Just a place to sleep, window shop, eat and then leave.
If I fly I would miss the train ride... but given that I will be spending the entire week hiking in mountains, then on a glacier, boating on the fjords and so on... will missing this 7 hour ride be dreadful? Should I fly to Oslo regardless of which day I leave? I could feasibly spend the day in Bergen (if I can drop my luggage somewhere that is) and fly to Oslo that evening... or even fly to Oslo the next morning and actually have an afternoon in Oslo.
It seems that no matter which I choose I am giving myself very little time in Oslo which deserves more than a day, so perhaps I should go for broke and leave Oslo to another trip entirely...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England and Wales by public transport
- 2 Orange or other Spain SIM card available in Barcelona Airport?
- 3 Home base for a month in France?
- 4 2 Weeks 3 Cities
- 5 Prague old town
- 6 ATM Exchange Rate in Italy
- 7 Trying to get from Dijon to Amsterdam
- 8 Southern France Dec 23-Jan 2
- 9 Is Bullfighting still going-on in Spain in October?
- 10 Barcelona completely overrated
- 11 A Wonderful "What to See Along the Route" Request: Scotland
- 12 Lisbon - transport on New Years Day
- 13 How to get to Giverny from Paris
- 14 Day trip from Paris to Normandy Beaches-is it doable?
- 15 My 3 days in Venice
- 16 Printing Jungfrau Pass
- 17 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 18 My Home Exchange Near Lake Como
- 19 I forgot my international driver permit
- 20 How many days in the cities of Bordeaux and la Rochelle?
- 21 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 22 Thello EN220: Milano to Paris question
- 23 21 Days Family Trip Croatia-Budapest-Vienna-Prague-Munich
- 24 Ireland & Amsterdam
- 25 Holland Itinerary