Would you spend more time in Bergen (by slighting Oslo), and, would you fly to Oslo from Bergen or take the train?
I am heading to Norway in early July. I land in Bergen and fly home from Oslo. I am also taking a hiking tour with Backroads which starts the day after I arrive in Bergen.
The first full day when I land I will have to explore Bergen, but of course I'll be somewhat jetlagged and the next morning I will take the train to Voss to meet the Backroads team.
Our hiking tour is 5 nights, and we come back to Bergen the following Friday at noon. My flight from Oslo leaves Sunday morning.
I currently plan to leave Bergen as soon as the ferry docks - catch a train to Oslo which means 7 hours through scenery, arriving at Oslo in time for dinner. One full day (Saturday) in Oslo and Sunday early morning departure.
I could alternatively spend the rest of the day in Bergen (with no jet lag), get up early the next morning and head to Oslo. If I take the train it means nothing more than dinner and a stroll in Oslo and departure the next morning. It is light until quite late so I imagine I can go to the sculpture park, at least (if it is open late). But no museums and no sightseeing in Oslo, really. Just a place to sleep, window shop, eat and then leave.
If I fly I would miss the train ride... but given that I will be spending the entire week hiking in mountains, then on a glacier, boating on the fjords and so on... will missing this 7 hour ride be dreadful? Should I fly to Oslo regardless of which day I leave? I could feasibly spend the day in Bergen (if I can drop my luggage somewhere that is) and fly to Oslo that evening... or even fly to Oslo the next morning and actually have an afternoon in Oslo.
It seems that no matter which I choose I am giving myself very little time in Oslo which deserves more than a day, so perhaps I should go for broke and leave Oslo to another trip entirely...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 2 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 3 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 4 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 5 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 6 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 7 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 8 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 9 Help with purchasing a wedding gift card
- 10 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 11 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 12 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 13 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 14 Things to do in Brussels
- 15 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 16 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 17 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 18 Cont...@yahoo Mai** Sup **18884823831** Tech Sup PH NO ☛☎
- 19 Chilling in the Aeolian Islands
- 20 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 21 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 22 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 23 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 24 Madrid airport question
- 25 Overnight in Montpellier?