I am going to be traveling to Luxembourg in June for business and plan to take some extra time with my wife when my business is concluded. I, of course, plan to look at some guide books and do some research online, including on this forum, but would appreciate some initial thoughts regarding my questions below and for a simple itinerary and advice about necessary time.
I expect to have three days in Luxembourg when I will be working during the day and can probably take up to another 7-8 days for travel thereafter (flying home on the 8th or 9th day). I have been to some of the surrounding area once very briefly quite some time ago and my wife has never been, so you can assume this is a first time visit.
As I will be flying into Luxembourg and will have to make my airline reservations rather quickly, my first question is does it make sense to make a loop or (as I have been considering) make my return flight out of Amsterdam (or someplace else)?
Secondly, would I be better served renting a car or traveling by train and public transportation?
And lastly, what are some of the must see highlights? My wife and I don't drink (so we won't be taking advantage of Belgium's reputation for beer), but we love chocolate . We enjoying general sightseeing, small villages and towns, beautiful scenery, interesting places and people, old homes/castles and art/museums (although we don't like this to be the main part of our travel experience to the exclusion of the other things). I also have an interest in music and particularly jazz (but classical and other genres as well), so I tend to seek out things related to this (both live music and places of interest) when I vacation.
Anyway, this may not be too much to go on, but hopefully it's enough to get the discussion started.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insight.
Benelux Travel Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ideas for Spain in May
- 2 Southern Spain
- 3 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 4 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 5 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 6 5 nights in Burgundy, with the kids
- 7 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 8 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 9 Portugal Trip
- 10 Looking for help on itinerary for trip to Croatia+
- 11 5 Observations About Paris
- 12 Amsterdam, Germany, Paris in May 2015- coats needed?
- 13 16 Nights in Canary Islands & Spain
- 14 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 15 Renewing our vows in Venice
- 16 Sweet Home Triana: Spring Break in Seville's left bank
- 17 Itinerary for Greece in 9 Days -in June
- 18 Short notice for input needed for Munich, Vienna, Prague and Berlin
- 19 driving in france with kids
- 20 Is my plan ok
- 21 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 22 Our first Europe Trip Planning
- 23 CROATIA - Split to Hvar Island ???
- 24 Different approach to 2-4-1 offers
- 25 Spain and Portugal in Depth