I am going to be traveling to Luxembourg in June for business and plan to take some extra time with my wife when my business is concluded. I, of course, plan to look at some guide books and do some research online, including on this forum, but would appreciate some initial thoughts regarding my questions below and for a simple itinerary and advice about necessary time.
I expect to have three days in Luxembourg when I will be working during the day and can probably take up to another 7-8 days for travel thereafter (flying home on the 8th or 9th day). I have been to some of the surrounding area once very briefly quite some time ago and my wife has never been, so you can assume this is a first time visit.
As I will be flying into Luxembourg and will have to make my airline reservations rather quickly, my first question is does it make sense to make a loop or (as I have been considering) make my return flight out of Amsterdam (or someplace else)?
Secondly, would I be better served renting a car or traveling by train and public transportation?
And lastly, what are some of the must see highlights? My wife and I don't drink (so we won't be taking advantage of Belgium's reputation for beer), but we love chocolate . We enjoying general sightseeing, small villages and towns, beautiful scenery, interesting places and people, old homes/castles and art/museums (although we don't like this to be the main part of our travel experience to the exclusion of the other things). I also have an interest in music and particularly jazz (but classical and other genres as well), so I tend to seek out things related to this (both live music and places of interest) when I vacation.
Anyway, this may not be too much to go on, but hopefully it's enough to get the discussion started.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insight.
Benelux Travel Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mailing prescription meds to France?
- 2 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 3 Driving from London to Scotland.
- 4 Thello Train Ticket - Oct 11 - Paris to Venice - "temporarily closed"
- 5 Determing Location of FIRST BIG TRIP - Where do go in Italy?
- 6 where to stay in Germany
- 7 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady
- 8 FIRST TRIP TO PARIS/ITALY
- 9 Christmas Market 2014 Itinerary help
- 10 Barcelona apartment input, please
- 11 Majorca - where to stay?
- 12 Basel - Day Trip
- 13 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 14 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 15 Spending money in Italy?
- 16 Driving Holiday Austria-Switzerland-Italy/Germany-Austria
- 17 Train pass for travel in Italy, France, and Netherlands??
- 18 How to make this adventure work?
- 19 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 20 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 21 Moving to Bayswater (London) - How is the neighborhood?
- 22 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 23 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 24 I went to Paris in June
- 25 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe