I am going to be traveling to Luxembourg in June for business and plan to take some extra time with my wife when my business is concluded. I, of course, plan to look at some guide books and do some research online, including on this forum, but would appreciate some initial thoughts regarding my questions below and for a simple itinerary and advice about necessary time.
I expect to have three days in Luxembourg when I will be working during the day and can probably take up to another 7-8 days for travel thereafter (flying home on the 8th or 9th day). I have been to some of the surrounding area once very briefly quite some time ago and my wife has never been, so you can assume this is a first time visit.
As I will be flying into Luxembourg and will have to make my airline reservations rather quickly, my first question is does it make sense to make a loop or (as I have been considering) make my return flight out of Amsterdam (or someplace else)?
Secondly, would I be better served renting a car or traveling by train and public transportation?
And lastly, what are some of the must see highlights? My wife and I don't drink (so we won't be taking advantage of Belgium's reputation for beer), but we love chocolate . We enjoying general sightseeing, small villages and towns, beautiful scenery, interesting places and people, old homes/castles and art/museums (although we don't like this to be the main part of our travel experience to the exclusion of the other things). I also have an interest in music and particularly jazz (but classical and other genres as well), so I tend to seek out things related to this (both live music and places of interest) when I vacation.
Anyway, this may not be too much to go on, but hopefully it's enough to get the discussion started.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insight.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Italy
- 2 Wine tour recommendations around Greve
- 3 Forints or Euros?
- 4 Buying a SIM in Spain and using it in Italy, France and the UK also
- 5 Question for Aussies re travel SIMs in Europe
- 6 HeathrowAirport to bakery
- 7 My thoughts on Mallorca
- 8 Locations of apartment in Seville
- 9 Pre-booking colosseum tour tickets - help needed
- 10 Illegal vacation apts. in Paris
- 11 hotel in Prague
- 12 Barcelona San Pau Apartment
- 13 Overnight Layover -London
- 14 Old European currency
- 15 Not-so-Expensive Restaurants in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo
- 16 Transportation from Gothenburg airport to the Center
- 17 Another Visit to London
- 18 Three days in Athens
- 19 Feedback Please: Honeymoon Itinerary....first draft
- 20 Prague to Dresden in Aug
- 21 Air France / Delta flight to Europe comfort upgrade
- 22 Suggestions for 6 days in Central Europe (Hungary/around there)
- 23 Free walking tours in Budapest and Prague
- 24 London-Paris solo trip
- 25 3 days Venice to Paris