I am going to be traveling to Luxembourg in June for business and plan to take some extra time with my wife when my business is concluded. I, of course, plan to look at some guide books and do some research online, including on this forum, but would appreciate some initial thoughts regarding my questions below and for a simple itinerary and advice about necessary time.
I expect to have three days in Luxembourg when I will be working during the day and can probably take up to another 7-8 days for travel thereafter (flying home on the 8th or 9th day). I have been to some of the surrounding area once very briefly quite some time ago and my wife has never been, so you can assume this is a first time visit.
As I will be flying into Luxembourg and will have to make my airline reservations rather quickly, my first question is does it make sense to make a loop or (as I have been considering) make my return flight out of Amsterdam (or someplace else)?
Secondly, would I be better served renting a car or traveling by train and public transportation?
And lastly, what are some of the must see highlights? My wife and I don't drink (so we won't be taking advantage of Belgium's reputation for beer), but we love chocolate . We enjoying general sightseeing, small villages and towns, beautiful scenery, interesting places and people, old homes/castles and art/museums (although we don't like this to be the main part of our travel experience to the exclusion of the other things). I also have an interest in music and particularly jazz (but classical and other genres as well), so I tend to seek out things related to this (both live music and places of interest) when I vacation.
Anyway, this may not be too much to go on, but hopefully it's enough to get the discussion started.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insight.
Benelux Travel Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Transportation or Driver recommendations / experiences Ireland/ N Ireland
- 2 Shoe/boot help for Munich and Berlin
- 3 italy - france - germany
- 4 Prague, Krakow, Budapest and Vienna
- 5 Planning Europe trip
- 6 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 7 Stereotypes about various nationalities
- 8 Riva del Garda to Rome
- 9 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 10 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 11 Is Venice really dirty?
- 12 Authentic czech food
- 13 6+ weeks in Portugal and Spain - itinerary suggestions pls
- 14 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 15 Two weeks in Paris guiding 4 couples. Need help with itinerary!
- 16 Where to stay in Tuscany with a 5 year old
- 17 Kimhe--flamenco
- 18 Limavady, Ireland?? Where is it?
- 19 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 20 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 21 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 22 Kids in Pubs -- N Ireland and Ireland
- 23 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 24 Your Top Tourist Mob Scenes in Europe?
- 25 Christmas in London