I am going to be traveling to Luxembourg in June for business and plan to take some extra time with my wife when my business is concluded. I, of course, plan to look at some guide books and do some research online, including on this forum, but would appreciate some initial thoughts regarding my questions below and for a simple itinerary and advice about necessary time.
I expect to have three days in Luxembourg when I will be working during the day and can probably take up to another 7-8 days for travel thereafter (flying home on the 8th or 9th day). I have been to some of the surrounding area once very briefly quite some time ago and my wife has never been, so you can assume this is a first time visit.
As I will be flying into Luxembourg and will have to make my airline reservations rather quickly, my first question is does it make sense to make a loop or (as I have been considering) make my return flight out of Amsterdam (or someplace else)?
Secondly, would I be better served renting a car or traveling by train and public transportation?
And lastly, what are some of the must see highlights? My wife and I don't drink (so we won't be taking advantage of Belgium's reputation for beer), but we love chocolate . We enjoying general sightseeing, small villages and towns, beautiful scenery, interesting places and people, old homes/castles and art/museums (although we don't like this to be the main part of our travel experience to the exclusion of the other things). I also have an interest in music and particularly jazz (but classical and other genres as well), so I tend to seek out things related to this (both live music and places of interest) when I vacation.
Anyway, this may not be too much to go on, but hopefully it's enough to get the discussion started.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insight.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3/4/ days South of France
- 2 London vacation, 1st time in UK
- 3 Granada to Madrid
- 4 Trying to decide on a Colmar hotel for 4 nights
- 5 1 hour from Stockholm to Nynashamn
- 6 Gluten Free in Italy
- 7 Our Fabulous South-West France Adventure - September 2014
- 8 Advice on Bethnal Green, Shoreditch area London
- 9 Catalunya, Cathars and Castles (and vino!)
- 10 Help with Italy Itinerary: October 2016
- 11 Change of Itinerary? to Refocus on Basque country (Spain&France)
- 12 Restaurant Recommendations in Rome
- 13 Help!!!!! I'm traveling alone, to Ireland this summer, is it safe?
- 14 ATM card woes in Dublin
- 15 French open 2017
- 16 Dublin Ireland Theatre Advice Needed
- 17 What do pack for Ireland?
- 18 Train & Car Rental Logistics from Florence
- 19 Nocelle on the Amalfi Coast
- 20 Paris Architecture - tours or guides you can recommend?
- 21 Paris hotels
- 22 Advice please: 10 days in South-West England with a toddler
- 23 TAP airlines & other questions
- 24 Sentimental Journey
- 25 How would you piece these together?Piedmont,Tuscany, Bologna, Umbria