I am going to be traveling to Luxembourg in June for business and plan to take some extra time with my wife when my business is concluded. I, of course, plan to look at some guide books and do some research online, including on this forum, but would appreciate some initial thoughts regarding my questions below and for a simple itinerary and advice about necessary time.
I expect to have three days in Luxembourg when I will be working during the day and can probably take up to another 7-8 days for travel thereafter (flying home on the 8th or 9th day). I have been to some of the surrounding area once very briefly quite some time ago and my wife has never been, so you can assume this is a first time visit.
As I will be flying into Luxembourg and will have to make my airline reservations rather quickly, my first question is does it make sense to make a loop or (as I have been considering) make my return flight out of Amsterdam (or someplace else)?
Secondly, would I be better served renting a car or traveling by train and public transportation?
And lastly, what are some of the must see highlights? My wife and I don't drink (so we won't be taking advantage of Belgium's reputation for beer), but we love chocolate . We enjoying general sightseeing, small villages and towns, beautiful scenery, interesting places and people, old homes/castles and art/museums (although we don't like this to be the main part of our travel experience to the exclusion of the other things). I also have an interest in music and particularly jazz (but classical and other genres as well), so I tend to seek out things related to this (both live music and places of interest) when I vacation.
Anyway, this may not be too much to go on, but hopefully it's enough to get the discussion started.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insight.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 2 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 3 Iceland trip report
- 4 T Mobile Does it Again
- 5 European Championship
- 6 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 7 How not to behave in Iceland
- 8 Italy trains question
- 9 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 10 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 11 Two nights with kids in Normandy/Brittany
- 12 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 13 currency
- 14 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 15 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 16 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 17 Sagrada Familia-Guide or Audio
- 18 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 19 IN EUROPE - EPISODE THREE - KARLOVY VARY, DRESDEN
- 20 IN EUROPE - EPISODE THREE - KARLOVY VARY, DRESDEN
- 21 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken
- 22 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 23 Sardinia Italian's paradise
- 24 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 25 Reflections on our Trip to Barcelona, Languedoc, Dordogne and Paris