I am going to be traveling to Luxembourg in June for business and plan to take some extra time with my wife when my business is concluded. I, of course, plan to look at some guide books and do some research online, including on this forum, but would appreciate some initial thoughts regarding my questions below and for a simple itinerary and advice about necessary time.
I expect to have three days in Luxembourg when I will be working during the day and can probably take up to another 7-8 days for travel thereafter (flying home on the 8th or 9th day). I have been to some of the surrounding area once very briefly quite some time ago and my wife has never been, so you can assume this is a first time visit.
As I will be flying into Luxembourg and will have to make my airline reservations rather quickly, my first question is does it make sense to make a loop or (as I have been considering) make my return flight out of Amsterdam (or someplace else)?
Secondly, would I be better served renting a car or traveling by train and public transportation?
And lastly, what are some of the must see highlights? My wife and I don't drink (so we won't be taking advantage of Belgium's reputation for beer), but we love chocolate . We enjoying general sightseeing, small villages and towns, beautiful scenery, interesting places and people, old homes/castles and art/museums (although we don't like this to be the main part of our travel experience to the exclusion of the other things). I also have an interest in music and particularly jazz (but classical and other genres as well), so I tend to seek out things related to this (both live music and places of interest) when I vacation.
Anyway, this may not be too much to go on, but hopefully it's enough to get the discussion started.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insight.
Benelux Travel Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London & Area Itinerary Help
- 2 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 3 Venice - things to do?
- 4 Help on Norway please - too much to cover too little time.
- 5 Exploring W, S and SE with minimal backtracking
- 6 Advice on Euro-Trip Itinerary - Spain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy
- 7 Need Help, Iceland
- 8 Where to stay two nights before flying from Heathrow?
- 9 Calling out to all Spain lovers! 2 weeks in mid Sep - need some new ideas!
- 10 France, Italy, Ireland ?
- 11 Italy/ Spain in December
- 12 Hotel and activity recommendations in Basque Region??
- 13 2 week France Itinerary Opinions Please
- 14 Phone options - Sweden, Norway, Iceland
- 15 Any French Riviera Beach Reccs?
- 16 Best way to get from Athens to Naples & rec for Greek Isles & Amalfi Coast
- 17 travel in Spain or France from Barcelona or Madrid
- 18 4 days in the Yonne (Burgundy) with kids - itinerary suggestions?
- 19 French Government Endorses Airbnb in Paris...
- 20 Rome 2015- A Spring Break Adventure!
- 21 Private Guide in Istanbul
- 22 Please help with Itinerary Draft for Madrid, Andalucia
- 23 An Apartment in Montmartre (for a month)
- 24 Please help me give good travel advice
- 25 Berlin hotel convenient by transit to Berlin Messe