I am going to be traveling to Luxembourg in June for business and plan to take some extra time with my wife when my business is concluded. I, of course, plan to look at some guide books and do some research online, including on this forum, but would appreciate some initial thoughts regarding my questions below and for a simple itinerary and advice about necessary time.
I expect to have three days in Luxembourg when I will be working during the day and can probably take up to another 7-8 days for travel thereafter (flying home on the 8th or 9th day). I have been to some of the surrounding area once very briefly quite some time ago and my wife has never been, so you can assume this is a first time visit.
As I will be flying into Luxembourg and will have to make my airline reservations rather quickly, my first question is does it make sense to make a loop or (as I have been considering) make my return flight out of Amsterdam (or someplace else)?
Secondly, would I be better served renting a car or traveling by train and public transportation?
And lastly, what are some of the must see highlights? My wife and I don't drink (so we won't be taking advantage of Belgium's reputation for beer), but we love chocolate . We enjoying general sightseeing, small villages and towns, beautiful scenery, interesting places and people, old homes/castles and art/museums (although we don't like this to be the main part of our travel experience to the exclusion of the other things). I also have an interest in music and particularly jazz (but classical and other genres as well), so I tend to seek out things related to this (both live music and places of interest) when I vacation.
Anyway, this may not be too much to go on, but hopefully it's enough to get the discussion started.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insight.
Benelux Travel Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Travel from Berlin To Paris by train. good places to visit in Paris (tips)
- 2 Spending money in Italy?
- 3 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 4 Help with a small island in Greece
- 5 Rail or Bus Travel in Italy
- 6 Italy Itinerary help - leaving in <2 weeks
- 7 Trip to Pyrenees
- 8 Amsterdam: My list of things to do/see is ready - Pls help in daily planning
- 9 Crete Ancient sites
- 10 Hotel in Rome?
- 11 Help with somewhat messed up itinerary-Greece and Venice
- 12 A full week in The Netherlands
- 13 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 14 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 15 "Compartment" vs "Saloon Carriage" in 2nd class: Salzburg to Venice?
- 16 Glasgow to Brody Ferry Scotland
- 17 Venice-Milan Airport Woes
- 18 Please recommend an honest car rental service in Romania
- 19 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 20 I went to Paris in June
- 21 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady
- 22 3 weeks in Italy - what to do with remaining 1 week?
- 23 Luggage advice
- 24 Ireland driving vacation
- 25 I booked "Paris in Winter"