I am going to be traveling to Luxembourg in June for business and plan to take some extra time with my wife when my business is concluded. I, of course, plan to look at some guide books and do some research online, including on this forum, but would appreciate some initial thoughts regarding my questions below and for a simple itinerary and advice about necessary time.
I expect to have three days in Luxembourg when I will be working during the day and can probably take up to another 7-8 days for travel thereafter (flying home on the 8th or 9th day). I have been to some of the surrounding area once very briefly quite some time ago and my wife has never been, so you can assume this is a first time visit.
As I will be flying into Luxembourg and will have to make my airline reservations rather quickly, my first question is does it make sense to make a loop or (as I have been considering) make my return flight out of Amsterdam (or someplace else)?
Secondly, would I be better served renting a car or traveling by train and public transportation?
And lastly, what are some of the must see highlights? My wife and I don't drink (so we won't be taking advantage of Belgium's reputation for beer), but we love chocolate . We enjoying general sightseeing, small villages and towns, beautiful scenery, interesting places and people, old homes/castles and art/museums (although we don't like this to be the main part of our travel experience to the exclusion of the other things). I also have an interest in music and particularly jazz (but classical and other genres as well), so I tend to seek out things related to this (both live music and places of interest) when I vacation.
Anyway, this may not be too much to go on, but hopefully it's enough to get the discussion started.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/insight.
Benelux Travel Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 2 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 3 Month Itinerary England, France, Germany, Italy does this work?
- 4 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 5 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 6 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 7 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 8 Travel with Teens
- 9 best beaches on the costa del sol
- 10 One Week in Costa del Sol with a rental car. Ideas for Day Trips???
- 11 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 12 15-days in Turkey with 15-month old, Istanbul and..?
- 13 Vatican - Wednesday General Audience
- 14 Netherlands holiday with a 2.5 year old
- 15 Finding a hotel/resort on the Costa del Sol with an indoor pool
- 16 Barcelona and Costa del Sol
- 17 Paris Restaurants in the 7th
- 18 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 19 Recommendations for good driving routes for lavender fields in Provence
- 20 Reims for a day
- 21 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 22 I think this is a scam!
- 23 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 24 Best Time of Day and Vantage Point for Seven Sisters
- 25 Weather in Andalusia and Barcelona?