My boyfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are planning a trip to Belgium and / or Luxembourg at the end of August. We are spending the first three days of our trip in Copenhagen and will be flying to the Benelux region. We will have three nights and four full days to spend in the area. Our flight back to the United States leaves out of Dusseldorf so we will need to make our way there, but plan to spend only one night somewhere near the airport.
We are having trouble prioritizing cities and places to spend our four days. We have laid out our preliminary itinerary below and would appreciate any suggestions. We are planning to rent a car between Luxembourg City and Bruges. We are interested in exploring cities (not much of museum people), doing some outdoor activities, and would like to fit in some of the beer culture as well. It's important to us to experience some smaller towns as well, rather than hopping from big city to big city (sight to sight).
Day 1 - Early morning flight CPH to LUX; remainder of day in Luxembourg City
Day 2 - Either a castle (such as Chateau de Vianden) or the caves at either Hotton or Rochefort in the morning; slow drive to Bruges with stops along the way
Day 3 - Bruges
Day 4 - Morning in Bruges; afternoon train to Brussels with an evening train to Dusseldorf
Are we missing anything crucial? There's much more we would like to see but given our limited number of days, we don't want to squeeze too much in. We're thinking about forgoing time in Brussels in favor of more time in Bruges. Is this worthwhile? Should we be considering Ghent rather than Bruges?
Thank you for your help.
Belgium / Luxembourg Itinerary - Suggestions Please!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Romantic Greece and Exciting Turkey : 2011 Trip Report
- 2 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 3 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 4 All Set To Go!!
- 5 Rome bus tours-which one?
- 6 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 7 A Sardinia trip report
- 8 Istanbul Bosphorus Tour
- 9 For those interested in visiting WW I sites in France
- 10 Granada
- 11 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 12 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 13 First time Ireland trip
- 14 Side trip from Chamonix in January
- 15 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"
- 16 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 17 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 18 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 19 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 20 Renfe planning strike December 26th
- 21 Ireland, Honeymoon, early June 2015, active couple
- 22 22 year olds in Europe
- 23 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 24 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 25 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?