My boyfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are planning a trip to Belgium and / or Luxembourg at the end of August. We are spending the first three days of our trip in Copenhagen and will be flying to the Benelux region. We will have three nights and four full days to spend in the area. Our flight back to the United States leaves out of Dusseldorf so we will need to make our way there, but plan to spend only one night somewhere near the airport.
We are having trouble prioritizing cities and places to spend our four days. We have laid out our preliminary itinerary below and would appreciate any suggestions. We are planning to rent a car between Luxembourg City and Bruges. We are interested in exploring cities (not much of museum people), doing some outdoor activities, and would like to fit in some of the beer culture as well. It's important to us to experience some smaller towns as well, rather than hopping from big city to big city (sight to sight).
Day 1 - Early morning flight CPH to LUX; remainder of day in Luxembourg City
Day 2 - Either a castle (such as Chateau de Vianden) or the caves at either Hotton or Rochefort in the morning; slow drive to Bruges with stops along the way
Day 3 - Bruges
Day 4 - Morning in Bruges; afternoon train to Brussels with an evening train to Dusseldorf
Are we missing anything crucial? There's much more we would like to see but given our limited number of days, we don't want to squeeze too much in. We're thinking about forgoing time in Brussels in favor of more time in Bruges. Is this worthwhile? Should we be considering Ghent rather than Bruges?
Thank you for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 2 Day trip ideas
- 3 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 4 Day trip ideas from Bristol, UK
- 5 Help with purchasing a wedding gift card
- 6 Santorini - Fira/Oia options
- 7 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 8 Help with hotels in Santorini
- 9 Scottish Heritage Pass v. Explorer Pass
- 10 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 11 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 12 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 13 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 14 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 15 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 16 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 17 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 18 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 19 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 20 Things to do in Brussels
- 21 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 22 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 23 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 24 Chilling in the Aeolian Islands
- 25 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands