My boyfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are planning a trip to Belgium and / or Luxembourg at the end of August. We are spending the first three days of our trip in Copenhagen and will be flying to the Benelux region. We will have three nights and four full days to spend in the area. Our flight back to the United States leaves out of Dusseldorf so we will need to make our way there, but plan to spend only one night somewhere near the airport.
We are having trouble prioritizing cities and places to spend our four days. We have laid out our preliminary itinerary below and would appreciate any suggestions. We are planning to rent a car between Luxembourg City and Bruges. We are interested in exploring cities (not much of museum people), doing some outdoor activities, and would like to fit in some of the beer culture as well. It's important to us to experience some smaller towns as well, rather than hopping from big city to big city (sight to sight).
Day 1 - Early morning flight CPH to LUX; remainder of day in Luxembourg City
Day 2 - Either a castle (such as Chateau de Vianden) or the caves at either Hotton or Rochefort in the morning; slow drive to Bruges with stops along the way
Day 3 - Bruges
Day 4 - Morning in Bruges; afternoon train to Brussels with an evening train to Dusseldorf
Are we missing anything crucial? There's much more we would like to see but given our limited number of days, we don't want to squeeze too much in. We're thinking about forgoing time in Brussels in favor of more time in Bruges. Is this worthwhile? Should we be considering Ghent rather than Bruges?
Thank you for your help.
Belgium / Luxembourg Itinerary - Suggestions Please!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help me with this trip
- 2 Question: import tax on personal musical instruments?
- 3 WiFi on trains
- 4 Valencia, Granada, Seville or Malaga ????
- 5 What about hiring a coach in London?
- 6 Renting an apt.
- 7 Italy/France Itinerary - What do You Think?
- 8 Amalfi coast in May
- 9 Transportation in Italy - rent a car or stick to trains?
- 10 What to do in Manchester for half a day?
- 11 Advice required on my Switzerland Itinerary
- 12 Summer vacation in Greece for 2 weeks, need help w itinerary !!
- 13 First ever europe trip
- 14 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 15 Using Obb website
- 16 A guide to Madrid
- 17 10 day itinerary in Puglia
- 18 Switzerland Trip with Family
- 19 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 20 Venice, airport hotel ?
- 21 BOS - CDG airfare in late April?
- 22 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 23 Font de Gaume Reservations Available Again
- 24 Zurich and other cities to visit?
- 25 Tight Transfer at Gatwick