My boyfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are planning a trip to Belgium and / or Luxembourg at the end of August. We are spending the first three days of our trip in Copenhagen and will be flying to the Benelux region. We will have three nights and four full days to spend in the area. Our flight back to the United States leaves out of Dusseldorf so we will need to make our way there, but plan to spend only one night somewhere near the airport.
We are having trouble prioritizing cities and places to spend our four days. We have laid out our preliminary itinerary below and would appreciate any suggestions. We are planning to rent a car between Luxembourg City and Bruges. We are interested in exploring cities (not much of museum people), doing some outdoor activities, and would like to fit in some of the beer culture as well. It's important to us to experience some smaller towns as well, rather than hopping from big city to big city (sight to sight).
Day 1 - Early morning flight CPH to LUX; remainder of day in Luxembourg City
Day 2 - Either a castle (such as Chateau de Vianden) or the caves at either Hotton or Rochefort in the morning; slow drive to Bruges with stops along the way
Day 3 - Bruges
Day 4 - Morning in Bruges; afternoon train to Brussels with an evening train to Dusseldorf
Are we missing anything crucial? There's much more we would like to see but given our limited number of days, we don't want to squeeze too much in. We're thinking about forgoing time in Brussels in favor of more time in Bruges. Is this worthwhile? Should we be considering Ghent rather than Bruges?
Thank you for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Holiday in Austria
- 2 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 3 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 4 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 5 Return to Rome Pre Cruise Trip Report October 2016
- 6 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 7 Northern Italy - where to go?
- 8 Paris Under Seige...
- 9 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 10 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 11 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 12 Does Wroclaw, Krakow, Warsaw sound like a good 8-day Polish trip?
- 13 Retiring to Southern France
- 14 Dublin Ireland Hotel Advice for early June
- 15 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 16 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 17 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 18 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 19 Brief trip report Naples
- 20 Advices about our itiniary
- 21 Staying in Ventimiglia vs France
- 22 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 23 Establishing a Realistic Food Budget
- 24 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 25 Coach with driver rental, Puglia Italy