My boyfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are planning a trip to Belgium and / or Luxembourg at the end of August. We are spending the first three days of our trip in Copenhagen and will be flying to the Benelux region. We will have three nights and four full days to spend in the area. Our flight back to the United States leaves out of Dusseldorf so we will need to make our way there, but plan to spend only one night somewhere near the airport.
We are having trouble prioritizing cities and places to spend our four days. We have laid out our preliminary itinerary below and would appreciate any suggestions. We are planning to rent a car between Luxembourg City and Bruges. We are interested in exploring cities (not much of museum people), doing some outdoor activities, and would like to fit in some of the beer culture as well. It's important to us to experience some smaller towns as well, rather than hopping from big city to big city (sight to sight).
Day 1 - Early morning flight CPH to LUX; remainder of day in Luxembourg City
Day 2 - Either a castle (such as Chateau de Vianden) or the caves at either Hotton or Rochefort in the morning; slow drive to Bruges with stops along the way
Day 3 - Bruges
Day 4 - Morning in Bruges; afternoon train to Brussels with an evening train to Dusseldorf
Are we missing anything crucial? There's much more we would like to see but given our limited number of days, we don't want to squeeze too much in. We're thinking about forgoing time in Brussels in favor of more time in Bruges. Is this worthwhile? Should we be considering Ghent rather than Bruges?
Thank you for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 car insurance italy
- 2 Venice/Mestre
- 3 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 4 8 Days in Spain
- 5 Barcelona alternative
- 6 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 7 Spanish Medical Providers
- 8 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 9 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 10 9 Days in Spain
- 11 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 12 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 13 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 14 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 15 Paris to Italy
- 16 Glasgow, Scotland excursions.
- 17 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 18 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Bulgaria- hidden gems
- 21 Amsterdam
- 22 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 23 travel to prague, vienna and munich
- 24 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 25 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!