My boyfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are planning a trip to Belgium and / or Luxembourg at the end of August. We are spending the first three days of our trip in Copenhagen and will be flying to the Benelux region. We will have three nights and four full days to spend in the area. Our flight back to the United States leaves out of Dusseldorf so we will need to make our way there, but plan to spend only one night somewhere near the airport.
We are having trouble prioritizing cities and places to spend our four days. We have laid out our preliminary itinerary below and would appreciate any suggestions. We are planning to rent a car between Luxembourg City and Bruges. We are interested in exploring cities (not much of museum people), doing some outdoor activities, and would like to fit in some of the beer culture as well. It's important to us to experience some smaller towns as well, rather than hopping from big city to big city (sight to sight).
Day 1 - Early morning flight CPH to LUX; remainder of day in Luxembourg City
Day 2 - Either a castle (such as Chateau de Vianden) or the caves at either Hotton or Rochefort in the morning; slow drive to Bruges with stops along the way
Day 3 - Bruges
Day 4 - Morning in Bruges; afternoon train to Brussels with an evening train to Dusseldorf
Are we missing anything crucial? There's much more we would like to see but given our limited number of days, we don't want to squeeze too much in. We're thinking about forgoing time in Brussels in favor of more time in Bruges. Is this worthwhile? Should we be considering Ghent rather than Bruges?
Thank you for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Heading to Amsterdam soon. Do you recommend I try weed?
- 2 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 3 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 4 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 5 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 6 Shorts in South of France?
- 7 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 8 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 9 Getting from Bordeaux Gare to the airport
- 10 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 11 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 12 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 13 Poland to Austria In December
- 14 Alsace to Austria?
- 15 Wales
- 16 Paris in early august
- 17 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 18 Italy travel plan help
- 19 Posting Packages from Central Europe
- 20 How to spend 6 days in Stockholm ?
- 21 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 22 Tracking the Weather
- 23 Globus Iberian Tour
- 24 NOTICE: Disruption on the railway line Mannheim-Basel
- 25 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more