My boyfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are planning a trip to Belgium and / or Luxembourg at the end of August. We are spending the first three days of our trip in Copenhagen and will be flying to the Benelux region. We will have three nights and four full days to spend in the area. Our flight back to the United States leaves out of Dusseldorf so we will need to make our way there, but plan to spend only one night somewhere near the airport.
We are having trouble prioritizing cities and places to spend our four days. We have laid out our preliminary itinerary below and would appreciate any suggestions. We are planning to rent a car between Luxembourg City and Bruges. We are interested in exploring cities (not much of museum people), doing some outdoor activities, and would like to fit in some of the beer culture as well. It's important to us to experience some smaller towns as well, rather than hopping from big city to big city (sight to sight).
Day 1 - Early morning flight CPH to LUX; remainder of day in Luxembourg City
Day 2 - Either a castle (such as Chateau de Vianden) or the caves at either Hotton or Rochefort in the morning; slow drive to Bruges with stops along the way
Day 3 - Bruges
Day 4 - Morning in Bruges; afternoon train to Brussels with an evening train to Dusseldorf
Are we missing anything crucial? There's much more we would like to see but given our limited number of days, we don't want to squeeze too much in. We're thinking about forgoing time in Brussels in favor of more time in Bruges. Is this worthwhile? Should we be considering Ghent rather than Bruges?
Thank you for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 2 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 3 Drinks in Spain
- 4 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 5 12 days europe
- 6 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 7 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 8 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 9 13 days in Paris, plans and budget
- 10 Ali
- 11 Christmas Week in London
- 12 Travel from Dublin Airport to Sligo City
- 13 from Charles de Gaulle to central Paris
- 14 Ireland Trip + 3 days in Dublin
- 15 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 16 Too much for one day?
- 17 Travel WiFi - France
- 18 Italy for the first time
- 19 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 20 RFID Protection
- 21 Iceland: The Land of Fire and Ice
- 22 Germany and Austria trip report
- 23 Letter Designations on Transport Lines and Barcelona Card
- 24 What to do in Lauterbrunnen with Toddler
- 25 London Itinerary and Questions