Greetings to all Fodorites! When you head to Ireland these days, traveling can easily take a wallop out of your wallet! As editor of Fodor's Ireland guidebook, I'm hoping some of our readers can share great econo-tips on how to stretch the Euro in Ireland. Face it, finding good value in the Emerald Isle is a tricky proposition: the dollar is still limping against the Euro ($1.59 to 1 Euro). But most Fodorites know that if you live like a local, you’ll save like a local as well, and perhaps have a richer traveling experience to boot! So have you discovered any great budget-boosters? Tried out any new Euro-stretchers? For starters, we know you can take a bus from the Dublin airport---it'll be one-quarter the cost of a cab and will get you into town twice as fast. You can opt for B&Bs, which usually come with an all-knowing landlady who’s got the inside line on bargain shopping. In restaurants, you can choose the house wine, which is no longer just "plonk" for unsophisticated palates. And there's always enjoying a penny-pinching picnic for lunch. But can you tell us other budget tips, top value recommendations, and more specific suggestions for savvy budgeteering? Fodor's would love to feature them---credited, of course!---in our new Ireland guidebook about to hit the presses. Many thanks---and here’s wishing you many beautiful encounters that don’t break the bank!
Beating the Euro in Ireland
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 2 Planning a holiday
- 3 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 4 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 5 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 6 Travel by train or bus
- 7 Nice to St Remy overnight stop in Cassis?
- 8 Advises for trip to Russia
- 9 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 10 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 11 Amsterdam, Paris, and Bruges
- 12 Driving from Nice to Besancon, France
- 13 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 14 Le Marche and Rome - Part 3 - Recanati
- 15 Christmas Markets / Christmas experience.
- 16 FRA airport: How big is "big"?
- 17 Fun things to do in Copenhagen
- 18 Need help with picking a place to stay between Paris and Bari
- 19 Driving where to stop question June 2014
- 20 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 21 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 22 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 23 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 24 To Paris and Provence in June
- 25 Where to watch Italy vs Costa Rica World Cup match in Rome