Greetings to all Fodorites! When you head to Ireland these days, traveling can easily take a wallop out of your wallet! As editor of Fodor's Ireland guidebook, I'm hoping some of our readers can share great econo-tips on how to stretch the Euro in Ireland. Face it, finding good value in the Emerald Isle is a tricky proposition: the dollar is still limping against the Euro ($1.59 to 1 Euro). But most Fodorites know that if you live like a local, you’ll save like a local as well, and perhaps have a richer traveling experience to boot! So have you discovered any great budget-boosters? Tried out any new Euro-stretchers? For starters, we know you can take a bus from the Dublin airport---it'll be one-quarter the cost of a cab and will get you into town twice as fast. You can opt for B&Bs, which usually come with an all-knowing landlady who’s got the inside line on bargain shopping. In restaurants, you can choose the house wine, which is no longer just "plonk" for unsophisticated palates. And there's always enjoying a penny-pinching picnic for lunch. But can you tell us other budget tips, top value recommendations, and more specific suggestions for savvy budgeteering? Fodor's would love to feature them---credited, of course!---in our new Ireland guidebook about to hit the presses. Many thanks---and here’s wishing you many beautiful encounters that don’t break the bank!
Beating the Euro in Ireland
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites
- 2 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 3 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 4 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 5 Itinerary Help!
- 6 Toulouse and beyond -
- 7 Lots of help needed- First time going to Italy- Itinerary suggestions
- 8 Looking for advice on hotels in Paris
- 9 tour guides in rome
- 10 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 11 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 12 Amalfi (town) to Pompeii (ruins entrance-luggage storage area)
- 13 driving map for Croatia and BiH
- 14 4 Cs-Champagne, Cartier, Chanel & Christmas in Paris 2013 were fantastic!
- 15 RFID wallets do they really work?
- 16 Ony 3-4 nights in Ortigia, priorities?????????
- 17 christmas lunch or dinner munich 2014
- 18 Seaside island village in Greece
- 19 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 20 Wales/Scotland Trip - August 2014
- 21 7 days in Greece
- 22 4 night stay for 5 in interlaken
- 23 Just Another Macarons, Hot Chocolate, Tucked into Bed by 11 Paris Report
- 24 Spain itineraries
- 25 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside