I've dug through some of the threads on what I am about to inquire about and have found them useful, however we are planning on staying longer and so I am asking in that context.
We are planning on spending a month in Bavaria in July - we have a week of travel worked out already but would also like to spend three weeks (or so) in a single spot in the Alps. We have a vehicle, have little interest in staying in a large city, but would still like to be close enough to go to a larger city that we could drive there and back in a day (or, at most, stay overnight and come back the next day). And, we would like to be near some relatively novice hiking trails. We were told by friends that Garmisch-Partenkirchen might be one locale, but that seems like it would be pretty chocked with tourists in July (particularly so, that is).
Anyway, I suppose what I am asking is, does anyone have any suggestions for a locale to stay in (we would very likely rent an airbnb unit for the three weeks). Any suggestions would be useful, as I obviously have little or no experience with this area, we've just seen stunning photos.
thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 2 Private Guide in Cordoba, Spain
- 3 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 4 quickest way to Prague
- 5 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 6 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 7 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 8 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 9 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 10 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 11 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 12 Germany/Switzerland Help
- 13 16 days in France and Italy
- 14 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 15 Do I need a Swiss rail pass?
- 16 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 17 Avoid Europcar!
- 18 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 19 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 20 Plitvace Lake 1 day or 2?
- 21 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 22 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 23 Vaporetto ticket time questions
- 24 Amsterdam
- 25 First Time in Ireland...Intinerary advice please