I've dug through some of the threads on what I am about to inquire about and have found them useful, however we are planning on staying longer and so I am asking in that context.
We are planning on spending a month in Bavaria in July - we have a week of travel worked out already but would also like to spend three weeks (or so) in a single spot in the Alps. We have a vehicle, have little interest in staying in a large city, but would still like to be close enough to go to a larger city that we could drive there and back in a day (or, at most, stay overnight and come back the next day). And, we would like to be near some relatively novice hiking trails. We were told by friends that Garmisch-Partenkirchen might be one locale, but that seems like it would be pretty chocked with tourists in July (particularly so, that is).
Anyway, I suppose what I am asking is, does anyone have any suggestions for a locale to stay in (we would very likely rent an airbnb unit for the three weeks). Any suggestions would be useful, as I obviously have little or no experience with this area, we've just seen stunning photos.
thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 2 Europe First Timers
- 3 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 4 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 5 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 6 base in brussels
- 7 Seeking reasonable itinerary for 16 days
- 8 Rome or Venice first
- 9 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 10 Eloping in London, honeymooning in Paris!
- 11 Uber vs. TfL
- 12 Berlin
- 13 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 14 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 15 One free day in Barcelona
- 16 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 17 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 18 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 19 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 20 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 21 Lille Braderie 2017
- 22 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 23 Apartment Montreux area
- 24 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 25 Norther Spain first Iteniary