My family and I are taking a long-awaited trip to Germany. We'll be joined by my wife's sister and two children, so 8 total. This will be their first time; I've been there many times for work. I've got most of the itinerary and associated lodging settled but need to plug a couple of gaps and would like your tips/recommendations. We'll be traveling via rental car and I want the group to see and experience as much as possible in the time we have there, but not stress ourselves too much in doing that. We need affordable lodging that captures Bavaria/Tirol, yet offers something to occupy five teenagers. By the way, here's my itinerary:
*8-9 June Heidelberg (arriving Frankfurt, booked lodging at the Hotel Hackteufel)
*10 June Rothenburg (booked lodging at Hotel Goldner Hirsch)
*11 June Gutach in Black Forest (booked a farm B&B, the Rotbauernhof)
*12-16 June Garmisch (Booked at Edelweiss Lodge) (will hit castles, Ettal, Munich, rafting)
*17-18 June ????? (would like to visit Salzburg, Hallstatt, salt mines, Berchtesgaden)
*19 June fly back to States from Munich
1. Do you have any locales/lodging recommendations for 17/18 June, based on my input above?
2. Do you see any glaring holes in my itinerary or perhaps issues with the lodging that I've already selected?
3. I know I didn't list details of our proposed activities (they're all the routine ones), but any can't miss things? I really hope we stumble upon a fest somewhere - perfect for the teenagers. I can't seem to find an all-encompassing website listing them.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visiting Zurich
- 2 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 3 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 4 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 5 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 6 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 7 Paris to Bordeaux
- 8 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 9 Iceland 3 day layover
- 10 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 11 Spanish Basque Country Itinerary?
- 12 London's Fastest Urban Zip Line in Europe!
- 13 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 14 Train travel
- 15 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 16 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 17 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 18 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 19 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 20 DVD burning software
- 21 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 22 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 23 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 24 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 25 WWI Battlefields