My fiance and I are planning a 10 day trip to Germany (not including travel days to/from Germany from the US - so a full 10 days) for September 2013. We are in the very early stages of planning and are very flexible and open to suggestions at this point. We are interested in the following cities/towns: Munich, Salzberg, Garmisch, Fussen, Meersburg, Rothenberg, Berchtesgaden and Lindau. We aren't planning to visit all of these, as we prefer to take our time and really enjoy each location - they're just some of the places we're looking to narrow down right now. I'm hoping those of you that are familiar with these areas could help me with an itinerary. The main concern is wheelchair accessibility. I'm in a small, manual wheelchair and more than 2-3 stairs, ridiculously steep hills or gravel are very troublesome. Cobblestones aren't too much of an obstacle - I've been to Rome and small hill towns in Tuscany without a problem. If many shops and restaurants in an area have multiple steps to enter then its a town we'd like to avoid. That being said, I'm very mobile - able to transfer easily and stand on one leg (nerve damage in the other) and we are very adventurous, so please don't hesitate to throw out other suggestions you may be somewhat unsure of regarding accessibility.
We'd like to drive as much as possible - buses are not an option (whether they claim to be accessible or not) as I've had problems with them before. We are semi-open to trains, but it really depends on the specific train we'd need to take. I have traveled easily in England and part of France on the Eurail, but other lines in the south of France and Italy were disastrous. Last year while in Italy I was told by station employees that the train was accessible, only to find four stairs to enter and 30 seconds to board!
We aren't married to going in September - I had just read that it was a very good time to visit. I would love to visit some of the Christmas Markets, but snow is a definite barrier for me and I don't want to risk getting stuck somewhere.
I have used these forums for past trips and to plan our upcoming honeymoon and I can't tell you how helpful they have been. I do a lot of research, but advice from fodorites familiar with my specific needs has topped everything else.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 2 Spain: train/rental car help
- 3 Budapest Card
- 4 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 5 UK in May and June
- 6 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 7 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 8 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 9 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 10 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 11 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 12 Bath/Cotswolds
- 13 Shorts in South of France?
- 14 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 15 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 16 Globus Iberian Tour
- 17 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 18 base for Andalucia
- 19 Italy travel plan help
- 20 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 21 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
- 22 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 23 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 24 Getting from Bordeaux Gare to the airport
- 25 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport