My husband and I are beginning to plan a trip to Germany for Sept 2014 (neither of us has previously been there). Our tentative plan is to fly out of the U.S. on the evening of Sept 4 and fly back on Sept. 14, which would give us 8 full days, give or take. We haven't bought any tickets yet since we don't yet know what city(ies) we will be flying into/out of.
We are in our late twenties. Our main interest is exploring the food, culture, sights of Bavaria. We are particularly interested in beer. We know we want at least a few days in Munich to explore the city and perhaps for a day trip or two. We are not particularly interested in WWII history or art/history museums for this trip.
I've been reading quite a bit about the area but want to make sure we make smart choices time-wise, as neither of us likes to rush when traveling. Our top interests right now are, in no particular order (and I know we can't do them all):
(1) exploring city of Munich
(2) Possible day trip to Neuschwanstein/Linderhof
(3) Possibly Garmisch or Mittenwald (for views of nature)
(4) Bamberg (this town sounds like something we would really enjoy as beer enthusiasts)
(5) Possible day trip to Andechs Abbey (the hike there sounds interesting to us)
(6) Salzburg (for at least a day trip, perhaps longer)
At this point I am a little uncertain about our itinerary. It seems like we could just make Munich our base and take day trips from there, but visiting Bamberg does not seem to fit in with that plan, and right now it is at the top of our list of things to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to efficiently incorporate our interests into our stay? Or have any alternate suggestions for activities that might meet our interests? Thanks so much in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming areas to explore in London
- 2 Stu Tower
- 3 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 4 YIKES!
- 5 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 6 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 7 Drive from MXP to Lake Como (Moltrasio)
- 8 travel around Spain
- 9 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 10 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 11 Madeira-anyone been recently?
- 12 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 13 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
- 14 Which 2 towns as base for Brittany and Normandy
- 15 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 16 Labor Day in Paris
- 17 I cuisine vs Cookin With Class
- 18 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 19 Need Mobile phone advice for Italy
- 20 Train up the Jungfrau
- 21 credit and debit cards
- 22 12 days in Western Sicily in April 2017 - itinerary questions
- 23 Almalfi
- 24 hotels in the Eixample district of Barcelona
- 25 National Parks close to Malgrat de Mar or Barcelona recommendations