My husband and I are beginning to plan a trip to Germany for Sept 2014 (neither of us has previously been there). Our tentative plan is to fly out of the U.S. on the evening of Sept 4 and fly back on Sept. 14, which would give us 8 full days, give or take. We haven't bought any tickets yet since we don't yet know what city(ies) we will be flying into/out of.
We are in our late twenties. Our main interest is exploring the food, culture, sights of Bavaria. We are particularly interested in beer. We know we want at least a few days in Munich to explore the city and perhaps for a day trip or two. We are not particularly interested in WWII history or art/history museums for this trip.
I've been reading quite a bit about the area but want to make sure we make smart choices time-wise, as neither of us likes to rush when traveling. Our top interests right now are, in no particular order (and I know we can't do them all):
(1) exploring city of Munich
(2) Possible day trip to Neuschwanstein/Linderhof
(3) Possibly Garmisch or Mittenwald (for views of nature)
(4) Bamberg (this town sounds like something we would really enjoy as beer enthusiasts)
(5) Possible day trip to Andechs Abbey (the hike there sounds interesting to us)
(6) Salzburg (for at least a day trip, perhaps longer)
At this point I am a little uncertain about our itinerary. It seems like we could just make Munich our base and take day trips from there, but visiting Bamberg does not seem to fit in with that plan, and right now it is at the top of our list of things to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to efficiently incorporate our interests into our stay? Or have any alternate suggestions for activities that might meet our interests? Thanks so much in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 If your site isn't working because of the update, just take it offline
- 2 Lake Como- Which villa has the best garden?
- 3 Dolomites Sept 2017 express bus schedules
- 4 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 5 Greece
- 6 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 7 Hiking lake Como
- 8 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 9 Incredibly Beautiful, Fira, Greece
- 10 Renting a car in Greece
- 11 Prem fares (again)
- 12 tickets for Wimbledon
- 13 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 14 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 15 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 16 Iceland, france spain
- 17 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 18 Breakfast Outside of Dublin off M7 (Driving to West Coast)
- 19 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 20 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 21 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 22 (Repost) Overall cost of three weeks in Scotland??
- 23 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 24 Road Trip: 4 Weeks from Puglia to Le Marche
- 25 First steps for Russian trip planning