My husband and I are beginning to plan a trip to Germany for Sept 2014 (neither of us has previously been there). Our tentative plan is to fly out of the U.S. on the evening of Sept 4 and fly back on Sept. 14, which would give us 8 full days, give or take. We haven't bought any tickets yet since we don't yet know what city(ies) we will be flying into/out of.
We are in our late twenties. Our main interest is exploring the food, culture, sights of Bavaria. We are particularly interested in beer. We know we want at least a few days in Munich to explore the city and perhaps for a day trip or two. We are not particularly interested in WWII history or art/history museums for this trip.
I've been reading quite a bit about the area but want to make sure we make smart choices time-wise, as neither of us likes to rush when traveling. Our top interests right now are, in no particular order (and I know we can't do them all):
(1) exploring city of Munich
(2) Possible day trip to Neuschwanstein/Linderhof
(3) Possibly Garmisch or Mittenwald (for views of nature)
(4) Bamberg (this town sounds like something we would really enjoy as beer enthusiasts)
(5) Possible day trip to Andechs Abbey (the hike there sounds interesting to us)
(6) Salzburg (for at least a day trip, perhaps longer)
At this point I am a little uncertain about our itinerary. It seems like we could just make Munich our base and take day trips from there, but visiting Bamberg does not seem to fit in with that plan, and right now it is at the top of our list of things to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to efficiently incorporate our interests into our stay? Or have any alternate suggestions for activities that might meet our interests? Thanks so much in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AVG@ Installation renewal CONTACT ☎18006817208 AVG Tec*h supp0rt 24/7
- 2 Russia in two weeks in December
- 3 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 4 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 5 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 6 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 7 Christmas Day in Granada
- 8 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 9 car insurance italy
- 10 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 11 Liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago
- 12 Venice/Mestre
- 13 Itinerary advice Greece Nov 18-26
- 14 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 15 Spanish Medical Providers
- 16 Transylvania - June 2018
- 17 Italy Car Scam
- 18 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 19 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 20 Krakow
- 21 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 22 Quizz !
- 23 Pay attention to your watches !
- 24 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 25 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)