My husband and I are beginning to plan a trip to Germany for Sept 2014 (neither of us has previously been there). Our tentative plan is to fly out of the U.S. on the evening of Sept 4 and fly back on Sept. 14, which would give us 8 full days, give or take. We haven't bought any tickets yet since we don't yet know what city(ies) we will be flying into/out of.
We are in our late twenties. Our main interest is exploring the food, culture, sights of Bavaria. We are particularly interested in beer. We know we want at least a few days in Munich to explore the city and perhaps for a day trip or two. We are not particularly interested in WWII history or art/history museums for this trip.
I've been reading quite a bit about the area but want to make sure we make smart choices time-wise, as neither of us likes to rush when traveling. Our top interests right now are, in no particular order (and I know we can't do them all):
(1) exploring city of Munich
(2) Possible day trip to Neuschwanstein/Linderhof
(3) Possibly Garmisch or Mittenwald (for views of nature)
(4) Bamberg (this town sounds like something we would really enjoy as beer enthusiasts)
(5) Possible day trip to Andechs Abbey (the hike there sounds interesting to us)
(6) Salzburg (for at least a day trip, perhaps longer)
At this point I am a little uncertain about our itinerary. It seems like we could just make Munich our base and take day trips from there, but visiting Bamberg does not seem to fit in with that plan, and right now it is at the top of our list of things to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to efficiently incorporate our interests into our stay? Or have any alternate suggestions for activities that might meet our interests? Thanks so much in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tours vs solo travel (want to see as much as possible in 3-4 months)
- 2 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 3 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 4 Travelogue of our trip to Southern Italy
- 5 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 6 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 7 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 8 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 9 Drive from Lake Como to Venice
- 10 Ischia Earthquake/mobile wifi
- 11 Help: Looking for Streetwise Venice folding map
- 12 Salzburg-storing luggage at train station
- 13 To drive a rental around the Amalfi Coast or just use public transport....
- 14 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 15 Switzerland in September
- 16 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 17 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 18 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 19 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 20 Lyon france-- rental car
- 21 Rome to Naples/Pompeii
- 22 3 week italy itinerary coming along! now need help with car/trains please
- 23 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 24 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 25 Greece mainland and islands