My husband and I are beginning to plan a trip to Germany for Sept 2014 (neither of us has previously been there). Our tentative plan is to fly out of the U.S. on the evening of Sept 4 and fly back on Sept. 14, which would give us 8 full days, give or take. We haven't bought any tickets yet since we don't yet know what city(ies) we will be flying into/out of.
We are in our late twenties. Our main interest is exploring the food, culture, sights of Bavaria. We are particularly interested in beer. We know we want at least a few days in Munich to explore the city and perhaps for a day trip or two. We are not particularly interested in WWII history or art/history museums for this trip.
I've been reading quite a bit about the area but want to make sure we make smart choices time-wise, as neither of us likes to rush when traveling. Our top interests right now are, in no particular order (and I know we can't do them all):
(1) exploring city of Munich
(2) Possible day trip to Neuschwanstein/Linderhof
(3) Possibly Garmisch or Mittenwald (for views of nature)
(4) Bamberg (this town sounds like something we would really enjoy as beer enthusiasts)
(5) Possible day trip to Andechs Abbey (the hike there sounds interesting to us)
(6) Salzburg (for at least a day trip, perhaps longer)
At this point I am a little uncertain about our itinerary. It seems like we could just make Munich our base and take day trips from there, but visiting Bamberg does not seem to fit in with that plan, and right now it is at the top of our list of things to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to efficiently incorporate our interests into our stay? Or have any alternate suggestions for activities that might meet our interests? Thanks so much in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Black hair stylists or braids in Barcelona
- 2 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 3 Another tipping question: concierges
- 4 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 5 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 6 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 7 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 8 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 9 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 10 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 11 Summer Travel order
- 12 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 13 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 14 Trip suggestion
- 15 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 16 Dijon in December!
- 17 5 Day trip with wife & teens - Nice to Paris
- 18 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 19 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 20 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 21 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 22 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 23 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 24 Swiss Travel Pass
- 25 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help