My son (almost 20) and I will be spending a few days together in Germany before meeting a larger group in Italy. We arrive in Munich at 1pm on May 18th and need to be in Fiesole by mid-afternoon on the 23rd.
He's very much into history, cars and outdoor activities such as biking/hiking. He doesn't care for art (boohoo) or museums. I think he would like: BMW plant, beer gardens (he's legal there, isn't he?), Neuschwanstein and other castles, a day or two of great hiking, biking and scenery. I'm up for anything. I was in Munich years ago for Oktoberfest and hit a few of the highlights (mainly art, gardens, markets and beer), but I don't know much about the surrounding area.
So...I'm trying to decide if we should base ourselves in Munich and do all day trips or if we should move around. Also, should we rent a car or rely on public transportation? Finally, from what I can tell, the best way for me to get to Italy on the 23rd is by flying from Munich to Florence. The overnight train is twice the cost of a flight (although I realize I wouldn't need a hotel that night....but how well would we sleep and we arrive in Florence so early that we wouldn't be able to check into our pension).
We can cover a lot of ground so please keep that in mind. We are not casual travelers who sleep late and spend a lot of time dining, although we do like good food. We like to be on our feet and pack as much in as we can.
I sincerely thank you for any input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 2 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 3 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 4 Copenhagen to Oslo to Amsterdam: Are we nuts?
- 5 Italy - rental car damages query
- 6 8 days Skiing, City and Christmas Markets in Central Europe in late Nov
- 7 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 8 Flights between Rome, Paris, London- I have questions!
- 9 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 10 Travel vs. Babies
- 11 20 Days in Europe
- 12 Another strong earthquake in central Italy
- 13 10 days in Ireland! Ready? Shoot.
- 14 Farmhouse stay in Ireland?
- 15 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 16 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 17 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 18 Trip summary: London, England, July 2016
- 19 Early Spring Air Sales To Europe
- 20 Verona and Lake Garda
- 21 European Cooking Secrets
- 22 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 23 Luggage allowance internal connection to international
- 24 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 25 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions