My son (almost 20) and I will be spending a few days together in Germany before meeting a larger group in Italy. We arrive in Munich at 1pm on May 18th and need to be in Fiesole by mid-afternoon on the 23rd.
He's very much into history, cars and outdoor activities such as biking/hiking. He doesn't care for art (boohoo) or museums. I think he would like: BMW plant, beer gardens (he's legal there, isn't he?), Neuschwanstein and other castles, a day or two of great hiking, biking and scenery. I'm up for anything. I was in Munich years ago for Oktoberfest and hit a few of the highlights (mainly art, gardens, markets and beer), but I don't know much about the surrounding area.
So...I'm trying to decide if we should base ourselves in Munich and do all day trips or if we should move around. Also, should we rent a car or rely on public transportation? Finally, from what I can tell, the best way for me to get to Italy on the 23rd is by flying from Munich to Florence. The overnight train is twice the cost of a flight (although I realize I wouldn't need a hotel that night....but how well would we sleep and we arrive in Florence so early that we wouldn't be able to check into our pension).
We can cover a lot of ground so please keep that in mind. We are not casual travelers who sleep late and spend a lot of time dining, although we do like good food. We like to be on our feet and pack as much in as we can.
I sincerely thank you for any input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Interesting places to visit
- 2 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 3 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 4 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 5 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 6 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 7 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 8 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 9 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 10 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 11 Advice on Berlin hotels
- 12 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 13 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 14 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 15 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 16 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 17 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 18 Train help for Prague
- 19 Germany train help!
- 20 Acropolis Athens
- 21 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 22 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 23 Swiss Travel Pass
- 24 We're here!
- 25 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years