My son (almost 20) and I will be spending a few days together in Germany before meeting a larger group in Italy. We arrive in Munich at 1pm on May 18th and need to be in Fiesole by mid-afternoon on the 23rd.
He's very much into history, cars and outdoor activities such as biking/hiking. He doesn't care for art (boohoo) or museums. I think he would like: BMW plant, beer gardens (he's legal there, isn't he?), Neuschwanstein and other castles, a day or two of great hiking, biking and scenery. I'm up for anything. I was in Munich years ago for Oktoberfest and hit a few of the highlights (mainly art, gardens, markets and beer), but I don't know much about the surrounding area.
So...I'm trying to decide if we should base ourselves in Munich and do all day trips or if we should move around. Also, should we rent a car or rely on public transportation? Finally, from what I can tell, the best way for me to get to Italy on the 23rd is by flying from Munich to Florence. The overnight train is twice the cost of a flight (although I realize I wouldn't need a hotel that night....but how well would we sleep and we arrive in Florence so early that we wouldn't be able to check into our pension).
We can cover a lot of ground so please keep that in mind. We are not casual travelers who sleep late and spend a lot of time dining, although we do like good food. We like to be on our feet and pack as much in as we can.
I sincerely thank you for any input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 2 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 3 Road trip with our dog
- 4 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 5 italy Cinque Terre
- 6 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 7 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 8 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 9 Ireland with 2 young kids
- 10 Munich and....???
- 11 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 12 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 13 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 14 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 15 Spanish Medical Providers
- 16 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 17 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 18 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 19 Can parking
- 20 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 21 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 22 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 23 VAT refund transferring through CDG
- 24 Driving through Paris
- 25 Itinerary between Milan and Venice