My son (almost 20) and I will be spending a few days together in Germany before meeting a larger group in Italy. We arrive in Munich at 1pm on May 18th and need to be in Fiesole by mid-afternoon on the 23rd.
He's very much into history, cars and outdoor activities such as biking/hiking. He doesn't care for art (boohoo) or museums. I think he would like: BMW plant, beer gardens (he's legal there, isn't he?), Neuschwanstein and other castles, a day or two of great hiking, biking and scenery. I'm up for anything. I was in Munich years ago for Oktoberfest and hit a few of the highlights (mainly art, gardens, markets and beer), but I don't know much about the surrounding area.
So...I'm trying to decide if we should base ourselves in Munich and do all day trips or if we should move around. Also, should we rent a car or rely on public transportation? Finally, from what I can tell, the best way for me to get to Italy on the 23rd is by flying from Munich to Florence. The overnight train is twice the cost of a flight (although I realize I wouldn't need a hotel that night....but how well would we sleep and we arrive in Florence so early that we wouldn't be able to check into our pension).
We can cover a lot of ground so please keep that in mind. We are not casual travelers who sleep late and spend a lot of time dining, although we do like good food. We like to be on our feet and pack as much in as we can.
I sincerely thank you for any input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 2 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 3 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 4 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 5 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 6 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 7 Italy in January?
- 8 Dordogne for 6 full days in early September itinerary for comment!
- 9 Recommendations
- 10 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 11 Paris- restaurant
- 12 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 13 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 14 Short Trip in Spain taggin along work trip
- 15 Milan/Venice/Florence in October?
- 16 4 nights in Provence, advice
- 17 Iceland car rental agencies
- 18 Day Trip to Capri: Advice Needed
- 19 Happy birthday ATM
- 20 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 21 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 22 Car Service, CDG to Paris hotel.
- 23 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 24 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 25 David's Abbreviated Iceland Trip Report