Revised plans are to fly from Newark to Madrid and on to Bilbao Oct 11-12, spend 5 days or so there, on to Barcelona (perhaps arriving 10/18) for my wife to run a 10K on the 20th, leave for Madrid on or about the 23rd and fly home 10/27.
I am thinking of renting a car for excursions around Bilbao. I would like to visit my family's ancestral home of St Jean Pied de Port, but have no idea what driving in that area entails, nor how long to allow to get from point to point.
Also wondering what is the best way to get to Barcelona, rail, air or do I dare try to drive?
Driving as an option came up when looking at the map and finding a road from St Jean PdP to Pamplona. I wonder if an overnight stay in Zaragosa might fit if we were to drive to Barcelona or if it might be a bit ambitious.
Recommendations for the best ways to spend 5 days in Barcelona?
Thanks in advance for the advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Last minute trip to Capri
- 2 AMS Car Rental
- 3 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 4 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 5 Christmas - New Year Holiday
- 6 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
- 7 My final Prague itinerary
- 8 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 9 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 10 test post
- 11 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 12 One week in Europe
- 13 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 14 Positano or Sorrento?
- 15 multi city flights to europe
- 16 Switzerland in September
- 17 London Theater
- 18 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 19 Sweet villages to base in La Rioja
- 20 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 21 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 22 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 23 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 24 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 25 weekend from cologne germany