My husband and I will be going on a 19 day trip to Spain in September. We are flying into Madrid because we got a great flight deal, but do not want to spend a large amount of time there. We are most interested in the Basque region and Catalonia and want to spend a good amount of time in and around Barcelona (at least 5-6 days). We are wanting to rent a car and leave from Madrid to go north with Bilbao as our first destination, then onto San Sebastian. We would also stop in Pamplona and then onto Barcelona with a side trip to Cadaques and Figueres. We will probably return the rental car once we reach Barcelona and fly one way back to Madrid before our flight home, unless it makes a lot more sense for cost reasons to drive back to Madrid to return the car, but I have heard that Barcelona will be difficult with a rental car.
A little about us... we are foodies and we love any art and cultural events. We also both are amateur photographers but love inspiration from our travels so we would love to know about scenic locations that can't be missed.
1) What can we not miss in between all of these major stops?
2) Should we go into French Basque Country from San Sebastian? (is this allowed with a rental car?)3) How much time would you allocate for each area?
4) Should we dedicate 1-2 days for Madrid or will this make our timeline too tight?
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 2 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 3 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 4 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 5 Paris to Bordeaux
- 6 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 7 Iceland 3 day layover
- 8 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 9 Spanish Basque Country Itinerary?
- 10 London's Fastest Urban Zip Line in Europe!
- 11 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 12 Train travel
- 13 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 14 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 15 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 16 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 17 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 18 DVD burning software
- 19 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 20 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 21 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 22 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 23 WWI Battlefields
- 24 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?
- 25 Munich to Hallstatt in a day