My husband and I will be going on a 19 day trip to Spain in September. We are flying into Madrid because we got a great flight deal, but do not want to spend a large amount of time there. We are most interested in the Basque region and Catalonia and want to spend a good amount of time in and around Barcelona (at least 5-6 days). We are wanting to rent a car and leave from Madrid to go north with Bilbao as our first destination, then onto San Sebastian. We would also stop in Pamplona and then onto Barcelona with a side trip to Cadaques and Figueres. We will probably return the rental car once we reach Barcelona and fly one way back to Madrid before our flight home, unless it makes a lot more sense for cost reasons to drive back to Madrid to return the car, but I have heard that Barcelona will be difficult with a rental car.
A little about us... we are foodies and we love any art and cultural events. We also both are amateur photographers but love inspiration from our travels so we would love to know about scenic locations that can't be missed.
1) What can we not miss in between all of these major stops?
2) Should we go into French Basque Country from San Sebastian? (is this allowed with a rental car?)3) How much time would you allocate for each area?
4) Should we dedicate 1-2 days for Madrid or will this make our timeline too tight?
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 GERMANY, MID-RHINE & MUNICH
- 2 Connecting flight time in Europe
- 3 Path of the Gods / Amalfi coast
- 4 New York Kennedy to Rome Fiumicino Airport Terminals Clarification
- 5 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 6 Help / Day Planning Required ...
- 7 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe
- 8 Travel by car from Venice to Croatia
- 9 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 10 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 11 Dordogne Itinerary - Do I Need Another Day?
- 12 Prague - ATMs and Cash
- 13 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 14 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 15 Looking for suggestions car trip starting Amsterdam to nice
- 16 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 17 Am i too dark to visit russia? Picture
- 18 "Never Mind"
- 19 How many nights in Verona and Bologna?
- 20 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 21 Paris with a toddler and a baby
- 22 Visa Free Entry To Spain
- 23 Six Days on the Road in Ireland...Ideas?
- 24 Seat Assignments on TGV train from Paris to Avignon
- 25 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique