My husband and I will be going on a 19 day trip to Spain in September. We are flying into Madrid because we got a great flight deal, but do not want to spend a large amount of time there. We are most interested in the Basque region and Catalonia and want to spend a good amount of time in and around Barcelona (at least 5-6 days). We are wanting to rent a car and leave from Madrid to go north with Bilbao as our first destination, then onto San Sebastian. We would also stop in Pamplona and then onto Barcelona with a side trip to Cadaques and Figueres. We will probably return the rental car once we reach Barcelona and fly one way back to Madrid before our flight home, unless it makes a lot more sense for cost reasons to drive back to Madrid to return the car, but I have heard that Barcelona will be difficult with a rental car.
A little about us... we are foodies and we love any art and cultural events. We also both are amateur photographers but love inspiration from our travels so we would love to know about scenic locations that can't be missed.
1) What can we not miss in between all of these major stops?
2) Should we go into French Basque Country from San Sebastian? (is this allowed with a rental car?)3) How much time would you allocate for each area?
4) Should we dedicate 1-2 days for Madrid or will this make our timeline too tight?
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with Ireland itinerary
- 2 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 3 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 4 Croatia
- 5 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 6 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 7 Help with out two middle days in Puglia
- 8 Croatia trip Planning
- 9 If you had to choose one......
- 10 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 11 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 12 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 13 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 14 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 15 Church service in Dubrovnik
- 16 Driving in Italy?
- 17 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 18 Tour groups
- 19 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 20 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 21 Ireland in April
- 22 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 23 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 24 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 25 So much to do, so little time!