I'm looking for feedback on one or two spots to base in for a November trip to Portugal. We have 8 nights total. I have Starwood points to use, so the Shertons in Lisbon or Porto are easy. I am not positive whether it's best to rent a car for all or part of the time, or to just take trains, either.
I was thinking maybe three nights in Porto, two in Lisbon, and maybe 2 in Sintra, one elsewhere? Or should we stay more nights in Lisbon? I am trying to not move around too much, for one thing. I am hoping for castles, spots with interesting architecture and history, good restaurants, wine tasting, wandering around. Not so much museums this time. I was thinking of skipping the Algarve due to the time of year, but would entertain anywhere that might be considered don't miss. Obidos is on my list, but I'm not sure how it fits in yet. I'm not quite as interested in Lisbon for some reason, but it may be the best spot to base in for a bit.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Searching for beach town in Amalfi area for summer holiday
- 2 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 3 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 4 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 5 Reflections on our Trip to Barcelona, Languedoc, Dordogne and Paris
- 6 Cote d'Azur & Provence Itinerary - Stu Dudley's new/revised edition
- 7 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 8 Paris gtg in October?
- 9 Copenhagen / Stockholm trip advice
- 10 Is 2hr25m layover enough to collect and recheck baggage?
- 11 Lisboa upscale hotel choice (??)
- 12 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 13 Italy trains question
- 14 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 15 Things I Learned in 3 Weeks in southern Ireland
- 16 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 17 Iceland in July
- 18 Sample itinerary Germany in March
- 19 Itinerary….Need help from Ireland Guru's
- 20 Lisbon Airport - A Huge Mess
- 21 5 Ladies, 4 Destinations and 1 Month
- 22 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 23 Spain and Portugal for two and a half weeks
- 24 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 25 Le Marche, Italy