We are flying in/out of Rome first week in August arriving mid-day Thursday for total of 13 nights. We will have 7 or 8 nights to spend travelling before going to visit our family located in between Rome and Naples. Note that we will need to get back to Rome to travel on to our family.
I'll be travelling with my daughters (12 & 14) and we are planning on spending about 3 nights in Rome and some time in Tuscany with day trips. We have not decided yet whether to stay in Rome first when arriving or travel on to Tuscany when we land but leaning towards traveling on.
Trying to figure out the best place to use as a base since we will not have a car. I have read many posts and still am confused which city would be best. A few ideas I had for day trips from Tuscany...
- 1/2 day trip to see Pisa and rest of day exploring our base
- Hire driver for 1 day and go to some of the towns - any suggestions for best towns to visit which would appeal to teens?
- Day trip to Venice with tour of glass factories/maybe beach?
While I would love for my girls to see the major sites I know they will surely get bored if we spend too much time in museums, churches and ruins. So while Florence seems to be convenient not sure we will end up going to all the museums since we would not really be there much with day trips anyways. Also, may be too much city with use spending time in Rome also. Biking/Hiking would also appeal to them if we could do it early before it got too hot.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Also recommendations for hired drivers and accommodations with AC (and preferably pool) are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 2 Dolomites Sept 2017 express bus schedules
- 3 Airport Transfer Vienna
- 4 Iceland
- 5 Spain - day driver advice
- 6 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 7 London with Teens Trip Report
- 8 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 9 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 10 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 11 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 12 Breakfast Outside of Dublin off M7 (Driving to West Coast)
- 13 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 14 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 15 2 weeks Croatia Itinerary - Doable??
- 16 Coordinating Transportation and Lodging near Leicester
- 17 Lake Como AREA questions
- 18 Berlin to ?
- 19 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 20 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 21 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 22 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 23 Hotel Recommendations in Paris
- 24 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 25 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?