We are flying in/out of Rome first week in August arriving mid-day Thursday for total of 13 nights. We will have 7 or 8 nights to spend travelling before going to visit our family located in between Rome and Naples. Note that we will need to get back to Rome to travel on to our family.
I'll be travelling with my daughters (12 & 14) and we are planning on spending about 3 nights in Rome and some time in Tuscany with day trips. We have not decided yet whether to stay in Rome first when arriving or travel on to Tuscany when we land but leaning towards traveling on.
Trying to figure out the best place to use as a base since we will not have a car. I have read many posts and still am confused which city would be best. A few ideas I had for day trips from Tuscany...
- 1/2 day trip to see Pisa and rest of day exploring our base
- Hire driver for 1 day and go to some of the towns - any suggestions for best towns to visit which would appeal to teens?
- Day trip to Venice with tour of glass factories/maybe beach?
While I would love for my girls to see the major sites I know they will surely get bored if we spend too much time in museums, churches and ruins. So while Florence seems to be convenient not sure we will end up going to all the museums since we would not really be there much with day trips anyways. Also, may be too much city with use spending time in Rome also. Biking/Hiking would also appeal to them if we could do it early before it got too hot.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Also recommendations for hired drivers and accommodations with AC (and preferably pool) are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tuscany car rental and accommodations
- 2 Advice on zermatt hotels
- 3 Can't get in to Cordoba....
- 4 Easter Week in Europe, Destination Suggestions Please
- 5 Charming villages in Austria for hiking trip in mid-June 2016?
- 6 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 7 Valencia, Spain
- 8 Restaurants in Spain
- 9 Which city order makes most sense?
- 10 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 11 Best Scenic Route -Vienna to St Wolfgang
- 12 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 13 credit and debit cards
- 14 Transportation Question Italy
- 15 Help with basic itinerary
- 16 Short Trip to Paris
- 17 Scandinavia Itinerary help!
- 18 Greece and Italy Combo
- 19 Trip to England next month - Itinerary Help needed
- 20 Final Four
- 21 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 22 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 23 Where are the Mods?
- 24 2 nights in the Montreux-Vevey-Lavaux area
- 25 England + France 12-day itinerary