We are flying in/out of Rome first week in August arriving mid-day Thursday for total of 13 nights. We will have 7 or 8 nights to spend travelling before going to visit our family located in between Rome and Naples. Note that we will need to get back to Rome to travel on to our family.
I'll be travelling with my daughters (12 & 14) and we are planning on spending about 3 nights in Rome and some time in Tuscany with day trips. We have not decided yet whether to stay in Rome first when arriving or travel on to Tuscany when we land but leaning towards traveling on.
Trying to figure out the best place to use as a base since we will not have a car. I have read many posts and still am confused which city would be best. A few ideas I had for day trips from Tuscany...
- 1/2 day trip to see Pisa and rest of day exploring our base
- Hire driver for 1 day and go to some of the towns - any suggestions for best towns to visit which would appeal to teens?
- Day trip to Venice with tour of glass factories/maybe beach?
While I would love for my girls to see the major sites I know they will surely get bored if we spend too much time in museums, churches and ruins. So while Florence seems to be convenient not sure we will end up going to all the museums since we would not really be there much with day trips anyways. Also, may be too much city with use spending time in Rome also. Biking/Hiking would also appeal to them if we could do it early before it got too hot.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Also recommendations for hired drivers and accommodations with AC (and preferably pool) are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Trip to Italy- Help!
- 2 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 3 Villa in Italy
- 4 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 5 Places to stop/stay?
- 6 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 7 One night in the Dolomites
- 8 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 9 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 10 Route Information
- 11 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 12 Lisbon
- 13 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 14 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 15 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 16 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 17 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 18 Car Rentals in Ireland
- 19 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 20 TSA Precheck
- 21 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 22 Where in Greece
- 23 Liverpool, Cardiff & Salisbury - how would you do it?
- 24 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 25 Couscous