I trying to figure out where to base my family during the Tuscany portion of a trip to Italy. We will probably visit Italy for 2-3 weeks, stay about a week in a city (Venice, Florence or Rome) and then head to Tuscany for a week or so. We'll probably go in September 2010 and will be traveling with our twins, who will be around 3 1/2 at the time.
I'd like a base In Tuscany that is in a beautiful setting in or near a town that is not too big, and that is well situated to exploring the area. I've never been to Tuscany (except Florence) and want to both relax and explore at a leisurely pace. However, my husband and I are foodies and one of the things we love the most about Italy is the food and eating out. So, I want to stay someplace close to good restaurants. We will probably rent an apartment or villa. Any suggestions on where to base?
Also, if there are any guidebooks that you think would help me, I'd appreciate that information too.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 2 vienna
- 3 Questions about Polish sights
- 4 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 5 Bernina Express mid-March
- 6 Ireland travel passport question
- 7 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 8 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 9 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 10 4 days itinerary for France
- 11 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 12 where to stay in London?
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Juangfrau / mt
- 15 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 16 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 17 Switzerland
- 18 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 19 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 20 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 21 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 22 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 23 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 24 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 25 Southern Germany - a base for travel