Family is off next year to Scotland in july but my daughter ( twenties) and possibly son and his g/f (twenties) have about nine days to spend between our three day stopover in Singapore ( coming from Australia ) and the time we need to be in Edinburgh or Glasgow ( depending on best flight deals)
We went to Germany/ Austria/ Poland and Greek islands last year so I'm thinking that Belgium might be a good base or maybe Amsterdam for a few days and brussels for the rest
Five days is a satisfactory time for us in each place
We love history...so castles and Ww2 sites are the go
Brussels looks fine but over the years Ive heard that people prefer Antwerp
Brussels looks central and ive read that train travel is inexpensive and major sights are within easy reach
I'm thinking of say Gent
we could also access Rotterdam I suppose
So..any thoughts? Is Brussels the best place to stay and then do whatever daytrips from there?
Or is Antwerp just as easy but nicer/ prettier?
After this leg we will have to get to Edinburgh
I know for instance that we could stay in Amsterdam and get to London and then to Edinburgh by train and plane/train
since weve been to Austria last year, Switzerland might be too similar and we are seeing mountains in Scotland so that's why I thought a flatter landscape might be a good contrast...hence Beligium or the Netherlands
thanks for any recommendations for a good district to stay in Brussels
not into nightclubs but do want to be in the historic district
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona alternative
- 2 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 3 Desperate! photo SD card says "not Formatted" is all lost!?
- 4 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 5 Driving through Paris
- 6 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 7 Spanish Medical Providers
- 8 Italy Car Scam
- 9 Road trip with our dog
- 10 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 11 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 12 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 13 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 14 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 15 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 16 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 17 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 18 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 19 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 20 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 21 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 22 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 23 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 24 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 25 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia