Family is off next year to Scotland in july but my daughter ( twenties) and possibly son and his g/f (twenties) have about nine days to spend between our three day stopover in Singapore ( coming from Australia ) and the time we need to be in Edinburgh or Glasgow ( depending on best flight deals)
We went to Germany/ Austria/ Poland and Greek islands last year so I'm thinking that Belgium might be a good base or maybe Amsterdam for a few days and brussels for the rest
Five days is a satisfactory time for us in each place
We love history...so castles and Ww2 sites are the go
Brussels looks fine but over the years Ive heard that people prefer Antwerp
Brussels looks central and ive read that train travel is inexpensive and major sights are within easy reach
I'm thinking of say Gent
we could also access Rotterdam I suppose
So..any thoughts? Is Brussels the best place to stay and then do whatever daytrips from there?
Or is Antwerp just as easy but nicer/ prettier?
After this leg we will have to get to Edinburgh
I know for instance that we could stay in Amsterdam and get to London and then to Edinburgh by train and plane/train
since weve been to Austria last year, Switzerland might be too similar and we are seeing mountains in Scotland so that's why I thought a flatter landscape might be a good contrast...hence Beligium or the Netherlands
thanks for any recommendations for a good district to stay in Brussels
not into nightclubs but do want to be in the historic district
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planning A trip
- 2 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 3 A week in the Occitanie
- 4 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 5 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 6 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 7 Hotels in Seville and Cordoba
- 8 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 9 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 10 Advice needed for family trip to Belgium and Germany
- 11 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 12 Car rental Malaga to Seville
- 13 Train Through Spain
- 14 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 15 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 16 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 17 Italy June 6-16
- 18 What is your favorite Greek Island?
- 19 Help with Algarve resort/ driver and excursions for big family trip?
- 20 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 21 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 22 hill of crosses
- 23 Northern Italy in 2 Weeks?
- 24 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 25 Itinerary for European trip with 18 year old son