I am choosing where to base our family for 6 nights, July 2014. Our first week will be in the Zillertal, specifically an apartment in Finkenberg. We plan to do a ton of hiking and absorb the culture and beautiful landscapes. As for the 2nd week, I am trying to choose between:
The Salzkamnergut such as st. gilgen/st. wolfgang/Strobl
The Otz, around Hochsolden, Solden
Lech / Ischgi
Zell am See access to hohe Tauren
-We are a very fit, outdoorsy, active and athletic family with 2 teenagers
-The home base to give a lot of variety, with choices for restaurants, and a lot of moderate to strenuous hiking options from the village or a short distance away (30 minutes or so in travel to get to other trails)
-This will be tough in July, I know, but a picturesque home base but not so overrun by tourists and crowded
-Home base to allow for one or two day trips, not more than approximately 1 hour of travel one direction, however.
-Flying out of Munich
-I have not decided weather to rent a car or use public transport. We used the trains in Europe in the past and had mostly good experiences
-I am leaning toward the areas with lakes to give a different dimension adding water sports.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 2 Driving in Italy?
- 3 Hiking in Tirol/Austria
- 4 English Countryside
- 5 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 6 Hiking in Austrian Alps?
- 7 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 8 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 9 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 10 Granada to Madrid
- 11 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 12 Croatia
- 13 Croatia trip Planning
- 14 Norway -Trips
- 15 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 16 Need help on our Provence trip July 2016
- 17 Itinerary and transportation suggestions
- 18 England Transportation Experts Needed! Multiple Questions!
- 19 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 20 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 21 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 22 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 23 Do NIN in 1 or 2 days?
- 24 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 25 Bergen and Norway with toddler under-two