I am choosing where to base our family for 6 nights, July 2014. Our first week will be in the Zillertal, specifically an apartment in Finkenberg. We plan to do a ton of hiking and absorb the culture and beautiful landscapes. As for the 2nd week, I am trying to choose between:
The Salzkamnergut such as st. gilgen/st. wolfgang/Strobl
The Otz, around Hochsolden, Solden
Lech / Ischgi
Zell am See access to hohe Tauren
-We are a very fit, outdoorsy, active and athletic family with 2 teenagers
-The home base to give a lot of variety, with choices for restaurants, and a lot of moderate to strenuous hiking options from the village or a short distance away (30 minutes or so in travel to get to other trails)
-This will be tough in July, I know, but a picturesque home base but not so overrun by tourists and crowded
-Home base to allow for one or two day trips, not more than approximately 1 hour of travel one direction, however.
-Flying out of Munich
-I have not decided weather to rent a car or use public transport. We used the trains in Europe in the past and had mostly good experiences
-I am leaning toward the areas with lakes to give a different dimension adding water sports.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 2 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 3 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 4 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 5 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 6 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 7 3 days in Spain - help where?!
- 8 Greek Village
- 9 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 10 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 11 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 12 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 13 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 14 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 15 Apartment Montreux area
- 16 Trains in Italy
- 17 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 18 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 19 An evening in London
- 20 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 21 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 22 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 23 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 24 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 25 Rome or Venice first