I am choosing where to base our family for 6 nights, July 2014. Our first week will be in the Zillertal, specifically an apartment in Finkenberg. We plan to do a ton of hiking and absorb the culture and beautiful landscapes. As for the 2nd week, I am trying to choose between:
The Salzkamnergut such as st. gilgen/st. wolfgang/Strobl
The Otz, around Hochsolden, Solden
Lech / Ischgi
Zell am See access to hohe Tauren
-We are a very fit, outdoorsy, active and athletic family with 2 teenagers
-The home base to give a lot of variety, with choices for restaurants, and a lot of moderate to strenuous hiking options from the village or a short distance away (30 minutes or so in travel to get to other trails)
-This will be tough in July, I know, but a picturesque home base but not so overrun by tourists and crowded
-Home base to allow for one or two day trips, not more than approximately 1 hour of travel one direction, however.
-Flying out of Munich
-I have not decided weather to rent a car or use public transport. We used the trains in Europe in the past and had mostly good experiences
-I am leaning toward the areas with lakes to give a different dimension adding water sports.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Euro road trip – looking for advice please
- 2 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 3 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 4 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 5 crete or santorini in Oct.
- 6 Hiking Tips in Scotland
- 7 Rick Steves Pickpocketed in Paris!
- 8 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 9 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 10 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 11 4 days in france w 4 kids
- 12 Traveling in Belgium
- 13 My nephew’s visit to Edinburgh (or, OMG to be 18 again.)
- 14 2 Weeks in Switzerland w/kids?
- 15 PRAGUE-TOP 10 THINGS TO DO
- 16 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 17 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 18 Milos beach stay
- 19 Help me choose between two hotels in the Lot
- 20 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 21 Catching the train - best stop off from Tirano to St Moritz
- 22 SPAIN, FRANCE, ITALY, SWITZERLAND
- 23 Driving in Wales
- 24 Best train from Amsterdam to Paris via Germany
- 25 Christmas Markets 2017