I am choosing where to base our family for 6 nights, July 2014. Our first week will be in the Zillertal, specifically an apartment in Finkenberg. We plan to do a ton of hiking and absorb the culture and beautiful landscapes. As for the 2nd week, I am trying to choose between:
The Salzkamnergut such as st. gilgen/st. wolfgang/Strobl
The Otz, around Hochsolden, Solden
Lech / Ischgi
Zell am See access to hohe Tauren
-We are a very fit, outdoorsy, active and athletic family with 2 teenagers
-The home base to give a lot of variety, with choices for restaurants, and a lot of moderate to strenuous hiking options from the village or a short distance away (30 minutes or so in travel to get to other trails)
-This will be tough in July, I know, but a picturesque home base but not so overrun by tourists and crowded
-Home base to allow for one or two day trips, not more than approximately 1 hour of travel one direction, however.
-Flying out of Munich
-I have not decided weather to rent a car or use public transport. We used the trains in Europe in the past and had mostly good experiences
-I am leaning toward the areas with lakes to give a different dimension adding water sports.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 2 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 3 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 4 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 5 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 6 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 7 Give advice on Austria trip in the fall.....
- 8 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 9 To Aeolians or Not? Please Critique our Sicily Itinerary for May/June
- 10 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 11 French Wedding
- 12 Cornwall UK
- 13 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 14 Photo tours Zurich Lucern areas
- 15 Photo tours in Amsterdam
- 16 Porto...Questions !
- 17 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 18 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 19 Tours through Spain and Portugal
- 20 12 days in Western Sicily in April 2017 - itinerary questions
- 21 Charming areas to explore in London
- 22 Italy Dolomites in early April
- 23 I may be wrong....
- 24 Need Mobile phone advice for Italy
- 25 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal