I am choosing where to base our family for 6 nights, July 2014. Our first week will be in the Zillertal, specifically an apartment in Finkenberg. We plan to do a ton of hiking and absorb the culture and beautiful landscapes. As for the 2nd week, I am trying to choose between:
The Salzkamnergut such as st. gilgen/st. wolfgang/Strobl
The Otz, around Hochsolden, Solden
Lech / Ischgi
Zell am See access to hohe Tauren
-We are a very fit, outdoorsy, active and athletic family with 2 teenagers
-The home base to give a lot of variety, with choices for restaurants, and a lot of moderate to strenuous hiking options from the village or a short distance away (30 minutes or so in travel to get to other trails)
-This will be tough in July, I know, but a picturesque home base but not so overrun by tourists and crowded
-Home base to allow for one or two day trips, not more than approximately 1 hour of travel one direction, however.
-Flying out of Munich
-I have not decided weather to rent a car or use public transport. We used the trains in Europe in the past and had mostly good experiences
-I am leaning toward the areas with lakes to give a different dimension adding water sports.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 2 Bernese Oberland
- 3 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 4 Burgundy/Beaune & Dijon
- 5 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 6 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 7 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 8 London 6 day itinerary
- 9 June Honeymoon in Greek Islands
- 10 Driving a rental car from Croatia to Slovenia
- 11 Threat Level in UK
- 12 ATM
- 13 6 day trip to Italy... Venice to rome
- 14 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 15 Living in Paris......for a week
- 16 ATM help
- 17 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 18 Shortest wait for the Vatican without prebooking online?
- 19 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 20 Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa
- 21 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 22 Iceland trip report!
- 23 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 24 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 25 Athens tour guide advice