...Among their many grievances, residents complain that they are being priced out by the proliferation of rental apartments for tourists, aggravated by the rise of online services like Airbnb. Last year, thanks largely to rising foreign demand, home prices in the city rose 3.5% and rental prices rose 11%, compared to a 5% decline in home prices and 2.6% rise in rental prices in Spain overall, according to a report (link in Spanish) by Spanish classifieds website Idealista.
Overcrowding of treasured local spots, especially in scenic areas like the seaside neighborhood of La Barceloneta, have raised tensions between tourists and locals. Tourists flocking to the working-class neighborhood have been accused of corrupting local culture with excessive noise, vulgarity, and heavy drinking...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 2 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 3 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 4 Where to buy Saffron?
- 5 English Countryside
- 6 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 7 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 8 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 9 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 10 Super Cover For Hertz
- 11 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 12 4 days itinerary for France
- 13 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 14 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 15 Is it worth it to drive into Positano...& Amalfi Coast by land or sea?
- 16 When to Visit Scotland
- 17 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 18 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 19 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 20 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 21 House Hunting in France
- 22 Itinerary Tweaking
- 23 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 24 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 25 family holiday Rome&Venice