Big facts to get out of the way?
1) I'm a community college student from Seattle.
2) I've always wanted to travel. Always.
3) The college that I attend is offering a 10 week study abroad stay in Barcelona, Spain.
4) And...one of my biggest, deepest goals in life?
Is to become bilingual.
To possess that amazing ability to actually speak a second language? Or a third?
I can't even begin to express how incredible that is.
Especially when, during my college career, I've been blessed to make friends with a good chunk of international students. I've got to commend their bravery of garnering an education over here...and learning to speak an entirely new language.
No easy task.
So. Here I am. Now about to dock the same boat that I've so admired and wished for, from a distance.
My trip wouldn't be the same, time wise.
I'm only in Barcelona a little over two and a half months.
But, Catalan is the main language that the locals speak. I love the Spanish language and I want to make the most of any Study Abroad opportunity that comes my way (you don't get very many).
So, my questions are as follows:
Would this be worth it?
I have a trip I could potentially take to South Africa. Whew. Decisions.
Would the locals be offended that I'm not primarily speaking Catalan because I am there to learn Spanish? I don't want to be seen as the annoying, patriotic American; persons that are a bit more ignorant than they should be and may find it ideal to stay home and brush up on some basic, cultural research, and manners, before traveling.
And I also don't want to offend any of the local people in Barcelona because I want to foster a deep, enriching experience between them and myself, with a solid respect to those I am visiting.
Would I be scoffed at? Because, well, let's face it; my Spanish skills will most likely be akin to a four year old talking with his mouth full of oatmeal. I know I'll have to get over my initial hesitation and just speak. Even if it is a terrible jumble of Spanish, perhaps a miraculous bit of Catalan, and spurts of English here and there. I mean, I know that we all have to start somewhere.
And opportunities like this NEED to be snatched up when they come.
But, I'd love to get some opinions.
I know I don't fit the normal MO of this website. This is going out on a limb, even for me.
But, before the deadline to a scholarship rolls up (01/16/15), I want to try at least one more avenue to help in my deciphering process.
Thank you everyone.
Any feedback I get will calm this travel sick, maybe a teensy bit scared, young adult over here.
Safe, peaceful traveling to you all. = )
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 강남안마방 010.4373.1910 セ남궁실장 セ
- 2 강남역안마 010.4373.1910 セ남궁실장 セ
- 3 강남구안마 010.4373.1910 セ남궁실장 セ
- 4 강남안마 010.4373.1910 セ남궁실장 セ
- 5 Transportation Question Italy
- 6 Car rental help in Sicily
- 7 Need final tweaks on Greece trip and restaurant recs!
- 8 메이저놀이터추천『ZVZ78。COM』메이저놀이터추천∑메이저놀이터추천
- 9 슈퍼카지노【KBK99。COM】원정카지노체험づ정선카지노입장료
- 10 My Topic Title아시안카지노【KBK99。COM】에이플러스카지노체험づ외국인전용카지노
- 11 엔젤바카라【XAX111.ＣoM】코리아바카라
- 12 아시아바카라【KBK99。COM】국내호텔카지노주소づ정선카지노리조트
- 13 메이저놀이터『ZVZ78。COM』메이저놀이터∑메이저놀이터
- 14 My Topic Title온라인카지노【KBK99。COM】소라카지노체험づ국내카지노딜러
- 15 라마다바카라【XAX111.ＣoM】코리아카지노
- 16 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼베이카지노
- 17 바카라사이트【KBK99。COM】사설해외카지노주소づ워커힐카지노예약
- 18 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼바둑이족보
- 19 카지노사이트【KBK99。COM】합법해외카지노주소づ강원카지노이기는법
- 20 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼바카라가입머니
- 21 영종도바카라【XAX111.ＣoM】바카라사이트
- 22 슈퍼카지노【KBK99。COM】온라인정선카지노주소づ실전머니카지노
- 23 My Topic Title아시안바카라【KBK99。COM】엔젤카지노주소づ와와바카라
- 24 바카라사이트추천＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼복불복게임
- 25 세븐럭바카라【XAX111.ＣoM】카지노사이트
Big facts to get out of the way?