It feels like a long time since I've posted on Fodor's and I'm looking forward to getting some great advice, so thank you in advance!
My friend and I are traveling to Spain and we have booked flights into and out of Barcelona. We will have 10 full days (not including our arrival date when we will be totally jet lagged.) We are planning to spend 5 full days in Barcelona to see the sights, enjoy Spanish life and shop for hip Spanish clothes, shoes and leather goods. We are trying to decide on a plan for our remaining 5 days. For at least part of that time, we were hoping to do something that feels like the Amalfi Coast (charming, old, very European, beautiful) to contrast with the "big city" vibe of Barcelona. We are two women in our 40's, athletic, very well traveled and shopaholics ) . Our trip is in early June -- yikes!
Does anyone have suggestions for a great itinerary for the second part of our trip? We were thinking of staying in Girona for a few days and using it as a base to do some really nice day trips. Any suggestions on the most worthwhile, scenic towns that have things to do to keep us busy? We were wondering if it also makes sense to try to visit San Sebastian given that the train takes 5 hours each way and therefore would cut into a chunk of two separate days. We were thinking of renting a car in Girona or perhaps even in Barcelona near the end of our fifth day there for transport up through the north..
Any thoughts or suggestions for us would be greatly appreciated!
One last thought . . . while my friend and I enjoy great food, we would rather have a great time somewhere than cater our itinerary for amazing food.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Anyone stay at Homeaway: Villa Iride in Praiano, Amalfi Coast?
- 2 Airport Transit Visa
- 3 Getting to Eilean Donan Castle
- 4 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 5 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 6 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 7 Where in Greece
- 8 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 9 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 10 Cap Ferrat, Antibe, Luberon?
- 11 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 12 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 13 Visiting Positano and Amalfi
- 14 Vatican tour
- 15 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 16 Day in Capri
- 17 alcazar question and seville advice
- 18 TSA Precheck
- 19 Roma...any ideas for exploration?
- 20 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 21 First visit to London
- 22 Paris travel help
- 23 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 24 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 25 Paris..The St. Germain area.
Barcelona and Northern Spain -- 10 Days, Suggested Itinerary -- June 2014