It feels like a long time since I've posted on Fodor's and I'm looking forward to getting some great advice, so thank you in advance!
My friend and I are traveling to Spain and we have booked flights into and out of Barcelona. We will have 10 full days (not including our arrival date when we will be totally jet lagged.) We are planning to spend 5 full days in Barcelona to see the sights, enjoy Spanish life and shop for hip Spanish clothes, shoes and leather goods. We are trying to decide on a plan for our remaining 5 days. For at least part of that time, we were hoping to do something that feels like the Amalfi Coast (charming, old, very European, beautiful) to contrast with the "big city" vibe of Barcelona. We are two women in our 40's, athletic, very well traveled and shopaholics ) . Our trip is in early June -- yikes!
Does anyone have suggestions for a great itinerary for the second part of our trip? We were thinking of staying in Girona for a few days and using it as a base to do some really nice day trips. Any suggestions on the most worthwhile, scenic towns that have things to do to keep us busy? We were wondering if it also makes sense to try to visit San Sebastian given that the train takes 5 hours each way and therefore would cut into a chunk of two separate days. We were thinking of renting a car in Girona or perhaps even in Barcelona near the end of our fifth day there for transport up through the north..
Any thoughts or suggestions for us would be greatly appreciated!
One last thought . . . while my friend and I enjoy great food, we would rather have a great time somewhere than cater our itinerary for amazing food.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 2 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line
- 3 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 4 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 5 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 6 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 7 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 8 Paris to Italy
- 9 Travel from Lisbon to Amsterdam to Boston
- 10 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 11 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 12 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 13 Spanish Medical Providers
- 14 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 15 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 16 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 17 Barcelona alternative
- 18 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 19 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 20 Road trip with our dog
- 21 Driving through Paris
- 22 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 23 Need help with ideas for stopover location
- 24 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 25 Train Questions: Getting a Train to Bruges And One Random Question
Barcelona and Northern Spain -- 10 Days, Suggested Itinerary -- June 2014