It feels like a long time since I've posted on Fodor's and I'm looking forward to getting some great advice, so thank you in advance!
My friend and I are traveling to Spain and we have booked flights into and out of Barcelona. We will have 10 full days (not including our arrival date when we will be totally jet lagged.) We are planning to spend 5 full days in Barcelona to see the sights, enjoy Spanish life and shop for hip Spanish clothes, shoes and leather goods. We are trying to decide on a plan for our remaining 5 days. For at least part of that time, we were hoping to do something that feels like the Amalfi Coast (charming, old, very European, beautiful) to contrast with the "big city" vibe of Barcelona. We are two women in our 40's, athletic, very well traveled and shopaholics ) . Our trip is in early June -- yikes!
Does anyone have suggestions for a great itinerary for the second part of our trip? We were thinking of staying in Girona for a few days and using it as a base to do some really nice day trips. Any suggestions on the most worthwhile, scenic towns that have things to do to keep us busy? We were wondering if it also makes sense to try to visit San Sebastian given that the train takes 5 hours each way and therefore would cut into a chunk of two separate days. We were thinking of renting a car in Girona or perhaps even in Barcelona near the end of our fifth day there for transport up through the north..
Any thoughts or suggestions for us would be greatly appreciated!
One last thought . . . while my friend and I enjoy great food, we would rather have a great time somewhere than cater our itinerary for amazing food.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 2 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 3 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 4 Paris: Where to find Steak Tartar and Escargot?
- 5 Another tipping question: concierges
- 6 Escargots in Paris
- 7 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 8 We're here!
- 9 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 10 Trip Ideas
- 11 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 12 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 13 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 14 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 15 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 16 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 17 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 18 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 19 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 20 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 21 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 22 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 23 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 24 Acropolis Athens
- 25 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
Barcelona and Northern Spain -- 10 Days, Suggested Itinerary -- June 2014