I'm planning a quick small trip to Europe for me and 3 of my friends for August 8-16. It will be the first time that any of us have traveled to Europe. We are trying to choose between staying in Barcelona the entire trip and just taking a train and bus tours while there to different spots or staying in Madrid. I've heard from others that in the past, Spain and other European countries vacation during the month of August and close up shops. Is this still true? We are between the ages of 25-30 so we would be interested in the nightlife. My main concern is if most of the restaurants and shops will remain open during these travel dates. If anyone has any insight as to how the city will be during this time and the places we should visit and see please please share.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond. It is greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Are you looking for most affordable tour packages?
- 2 Train from Budapest to Bratislava or Brno
- 3 ITALY – ON AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH: Venice & Northern Italy
- 4 Charming hotel in Milan?
- 5 Nike tennis shoes and leggings
- 6 Scotland/UK itinerary
- 7 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 8 Trip report: 24 days in Croatia, Slovenia and Budapest
- 9 Paris New Years Eve and New Years Day
- 10 Car rental/return near London
- 11 France: Montpellier, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Loire, Paris
- 12 Anyone been to the Goodwood Festival of Speed?
- 13 Early Flight Out of Stockholm on Disembarkation Day
- 14 Edgard bus website English version?
- 15 Special Settings for Sitting! Paris
- 16 The Mystery and Beauty of Galicia
- 17 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 18 Europe Itinerary
- 19 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 20 Camino Redux
- 21 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg
- 22 Rungis market Paris
- 23 Black Cab Tour in Belfast
- 24 Tipping in different situations in Spain
- 25 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
Barcelona and Madrid 7 day trip in August. Will the cities be a ghost town?