I am graduating this May and, along with two friends of mine, am planning on going backpacking through western Europe right after graduation for about 3-4 weeks. We are hoping to visit Spain, France, Italy and if time and budget allow, Greece. Although we have a rough itinerary of the cities we would like to visit, we, for the most part, are ill prepared.
I know that, generally, making an impromptu backpacking trip to Europe is half the fun of traveling, but I would like to cover a few basics so that we can a.) save as much money as possible and b.) make the most of the little time we have to travel.
With that said, I have a few questions that perhaps you travel savvy folk can help me out with!
1.) Should we purchase round trip airfare from one city, and travel in a circle venturing back to our original destination? Or, would purchasing "open jaw" tickets be more efficient? Which would be cheaper?
2.) EuroRail tickets are vital, I'm sure. Where/when should I purchase them?
3.) Should I purchase my in-Europe flights before I leave the US or while I'm in Europe?
4.) Is traveling to Greece at this time a smart idea? I've been forewarned not to travel there now because of their horrible economic state, but should that fend off backpackers?
5.) Which backpacking guide books have you found to be the most reliable? I've read that Lonely Planet is a worthwhile read, but I'm open to other suggestions.
6.) What, ideally, should our budget be? I am thinking $3,000 (including airfare); is that doable? We are planning on staying in cheap (but safe) hostels, not dining lavishly and even have one or two places we could stay at for free through the hospitality of friends and friends of friends. We are also hoping to find a cheap(ish) flight to and from Europe through the many student flight discounts available.
For now, this is all I have, BUT if you are willing to shell out general advice about backpacking that doesn't necessarily target any of the questions I have, feel free to post it! I am eager to learn as much as I can before my trip.
Hope to hear from you all soon! Thanks so much for your time.
Rachel (D.C. area)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 카지노방법＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼인터넷카지노
- 2 우리카지노머니【XAX111.ＣoM】아시안바카라
- 3 블랙잭규칙＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼인터넷카지노
- 4 아시안카지노【KBK99。COM】정선카지노중고차づ홍대클럽카지노
- 5 블랙잭하는법＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼인터넷카지노
- 6 리얼바카라게임【XAX111.ＣoM】아시안카지노
- 7 카지노홀덤＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼인터넷카지노
- 8 아시아바카라【KBK99。COM】엔젤해외카지노주소づ바카라뉴스방법
- 9 홍콩카지노【XAX111.ＣoM】온라인카지노
- 10 바카라타이＼＼【GUGA6。CoM】＼＼인터넷카지노
- 11 포커잘하는법【XAX111.ＣoM】온라인바카라
- 12 바카라사이트【XAX111.ＣoM】라이브바카라
- 13 온라인바카라【KBK99。COM】영국바카라づ바카라광고
- 14 바카라게임방법【XAX111.ＣoM】라이브카지노
- 15 포커게임사이트【XAX111.ＣoM】코리아바카라
- 16 텍사스홀덤포커【XAX111.ＣoM】코리아카지노
- 17 필리핀밤문화여행【XAX111.ＣoM】바카라사이트
- 18 비비바카라【XAX111.ＣoM】카지노사이트
- 19 바카라사이트【KBK99。COM】온라인정선카지노다운づ텍사스바카라
- 20 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 21 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 22 Madeira-anyone been recently?
- 23 Clean up spam
- 24 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 25 Valencia, Spain