I joined a photography workshop in Lyon and Provence, and subsequently traveled on my own to Avignon, Aix and day-toured the villages of the Luberon. I was carrying lots of gear (a camera, 3 lenses, my laptop, a tripod), and taking public transportation after the workshop was over, so needed to keep the overall trip somewhat less extensive than I would have liked. Given the lack of sleep experienced during the workshop, however, I was actually glad to come home and rest! Here's the report:
June 23 -- Arrived at my hotel in Lyon early evening, and took a stroll around. I’m always struck by the cultural differences between Los Angeles and just about anywhere in Europe.
June 24 - Today I wandered around Lyon taking photos, visited Musee des Beaux-Arts, Lyon, enjoyed a salad Lyonnaise, and later that evening, met up with my small photography workshop group. It turned out to be a fun group of 8 plus our instructor, a well-known pro and author of several best-selling books.
After meeting for drinks and then dinner, we set out for the river’s edge where we photographed the Notre Dame cathedral (Lyon) all lit up in evening. It was quite an experience, as prior to this, I had never before used a tripod. I bought one just 2 weeks before leaving for France. Fortunately, participants were willing to help me out with the nuances of the tripod, and two of them even lent me special filters for night photography.
We were out there until 11:30 pm (and were slated to meet the next morning at 6:30 am).
June 25 - This morning we photographed the same cathedral setting, only in early morning light (you will see the evening and morning shots in my gallery); next, we set off for across the bridge to old Lyon. Our instructor took us to some interesting architectural spots where he elaborated on composition and HDR technique (which I had already experimented with in previous months).
That afternoon, we drove to a Botanical gardens in Lyon to work on macro photography. I was extremely disappointed that I had left my macro lens at the hotel, but managed to get one or two decent shots with my telephoto lens.
That evening after dinner, we set out to photograph a large ornamental fountain with sculpture, in evening light. You will see the results in my photo album of Lyon:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 2 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 3 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 4 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 5 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 6 Things to do in Brussels
- 7 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 8 Madrid airport question
- 9 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 10 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 11 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 12 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 13 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 14 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 15 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 16 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 17 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 18 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 19 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 20 38 Days in Paris
- 21 Naxos car rental
- 22 Greek Islands (small)
- 23 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 24 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 25 Short Trip in July
Back from Provence & Lyon - susan001's trip report with photos