I joined a photography workshop in Lyon and Provence, and subsequently traveled on my own to Avignon, Aix and day-toured the villages of the Luberon. I was carrying lots of gear (a camera, 3 lenses, my laptop, a tripod), and taking public transportation after the workshop was over, so needed to keep the overall trip somewhat less extensive than I would have liked. Given the lack of sleep experienced during the workshop, however, I was actually glad to come home and rest! Here's the report:
June 23 -- Arrived at my hotel in Lyon early evening, and took a stroll around. I’m always struck by the cultural differences between Los Angeles and just about anywhere in Europe.
June 24 - Today I wandered around Lyon taking photos, visited Musee des Beaux-Arts, Lyon, enjoyed a salad Lyonnaise, and later that evening, met up with my small photography workshop group. It turned out to be a fun group of 8 plus our instructor, a well-known pro and author of several best-selling books.
After meeting for drinks and then dinner, we set out for the river’s edge where we photographed the Notre Dame cathedral (Lyon) all lit up in evening. It was quite an experience, as prior to this, I had never before used a tripod. I bought one just 2 weeks before leaving for France. Fortunately, participants were willing to help me out with the nuances of the tripod, and two of them even lent me special filters for night photography.
We were out there until 11:30 pm (and were slated to meet the next morning at 6:30 am).
June 25 - This morning we photographed the same cathedral setting, only in early morning light (you will see the evening and morning shots in my gallery); next, we set off for across the bridge to old Lyon. Our instructor took us to some interesting architectural spots where he elaborated on composition and HDR technique (which I had already experimented with in previous months).
That afternoon, we drove to a Botanical gardens in Lyon to work on macro photography. I was extremely disappointed that I had left my macro lens at the hotel, but managed to get one or two decent shots with my telephoto lens.
That evening after dinner, we set out to photograph a large ornamental fountain with sculpture, in evening light. You will see the results in my photo album of Lyon:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 2 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 3 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 4 17 year old need a birth certificate to travel?
- 5 David's First Draft Itinerary for Northern Spain and Portugal 2018
- 6 Hiking in Switzerland
- 7 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 8 Ireland for work. Add on a week-Scotland? Netherlands?
- 9 I bought a one way ticket to Europe.
- 10 Day Trip to Capri: Advice Needed
- 11 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 12 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 13 Dordogne for 6 full days in early September itinerary for comment!
- 14 NL/googlehangoutApp/vodafone/again
- 15 2 days in Lugano area
- 16 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 17 Need help planning trip after Paris
- 18 Short Trip in Spain taggin along work trip
- 19 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 20 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 21 Help on ancient history route
- 22 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 23 David's Abbreviated Iceland Trip Report
- 24 Train-Dijon/Paris/BruxellesMidi/Bruges
- 25 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
Back from Provence & Lyon - susan001's trip report with photos