I joined a photography workshop in Lyon and Provence, and subsequently traveled on my own to Avignon, Aix and day-toured the villages of the Luberon. I was carrying lots of gear (a camera, 3 lenses, my laptop, a tripod), and taking public transportation after the workshop was over, so needed to keep the overall trip somewhat less extensive than I would have liked. Given the lack of sleep experienced during the workshop, however, I was actually glad to come home and rest! Here's the report:
June 23 -- Arrived at my hotel in Lyon early evening, and took a stroll around. I’m always struck by the cultural differences between Los Angeles and just about anywhere in Europe.
June 24 - Today I wandered around Lyon taking photos, visited Musee des Beaux-Arts, Lyon, enjoyed a salad Lyonnaise, and later that evening, met up with my small photography workshop group. It turned out to be a fun group of 8 plus our instructor, a well-known pro and author of several best-selling books.
After meeting for drinks and then dinner, we set out for the river’s edge where we photographed the Notre Dame cathedral (Lyon) all lit up in evening. It was quite an experience, as prior to this, I had never before used a tripod. I bought one just 2 weeks before leaving for France. Fortunately, participants were willing to help me out with the nuances of the tripod, and two of them even lent me special filters for night photography.
We were out there until 11:30 pm (and were slated to meet the next morning at 6:30 am).
June 25 - This morning we photographed the same cathedral setting, only in early morning light (you will see the evening and morning shots in my gallery); next, we set off for across the bridge to old Lyon. Our instructor took us to some interesting architectural spots where he elaborated on composition and HDR technique (which I had already experimented with in previous months).
That afternoon, we drove to a Botanical gardens in Lyon to work on macro photography. I was extremely disappointed that I had left my macro lens at the hotel, but managed to get one or two decent shots with my telephoto lens.
That evening after dinner, we set out to photograph a large ornamental fountain with sculpture, in evening light. You will see the results in my photo album of Lyon:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 LEXMARK Printer Installation Contact 1:800:681:7208 LEXMARK Tec*h 24/7
- 2 EPSON PRINTER 1800:681:7208 installation CONTACT EPSON Tec*h care 24/7
- 3 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)
- 4 Milan or Turin
- 5 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 6 Frankfurt to UK
- 7 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 8 God Save the Queen?
- 9 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 10 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 11 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 12 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 13 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 14 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 15 9 Days in Spain
- 16 Barcelona alternative
- 17 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 18 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 19 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 20 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 21 Spanish Medical Providers
- 22 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 23 Paris to Italy
- 24 Driving through Paris
- 25 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
Back from Provence & Lyon - susan001's trip report with photos