My husband and I are thinking of going to Austria in 2014 for the first time. Possibly the end of May or beginning of June. (when it is somewhat warm and schools are not out yet) There are non-stop flights from New Jersey to Munich, so we will possibly fly there, rent a car and drive to Salzburg, the Lake Districk then to Vienna and fly home from there.
This would be approx. a 1 week trip, and we would probably look to stay a few days at each location.
I just read on another post about the wine region outside of Vienna, so we might try to squeeze that in too.
Any suggestions on which picturesque village to stay at in the Lake District? We would like to do some moderate hiking from the village and would like a village that is larger and has different places to explore. I was looking at St. Wolfgang. Is that a good place to stay? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Austria - Lake District,Salzburg & Vienna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland travel in December
- 2 Italy - unusually so
- 3 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?
- 4 In the movie "Roman Holiday..."
- 5 Authentic czech food
- 6 Advice for Seville in September, especially for the Bienale de flamenco?
- 7 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 8 Crete, Santorini, Naxos, Mykonos, Athens
- 9 Ireland Itinerary - feedback requested
- 10 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 11 2 full days in Santorini, should we rent a car ?
- 12 Decision time...
- 13 Be careful in Vienna
- 14 Venice Itinerary Help, Please
- 15 Spain in November
- 16 Slow travel Lisbon and ??? in Portugal in early Nov.--2 weeks
- 17 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 18 How to get to Plaka from Athens airport in the least expensive way?
- 19 Italy..Tuscany Cinque Terre or Amalfi & Calabria Scilily
- 20 About cars in Austria
- 21 England/EPL family vacation
- 22 2 Week Honeymoon France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Rome
- 23 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 24 Never To Return
- 25 Rome Fiumicino terminal 2 to terminal 3