My husband and I are thinking of going to Austria in 2014 for the first time. Possibly the end of May or beginning of June. (when it is somewhat warm and schools are not out yet) There are non-stop flights from New Jersey to Munich, so we will possibly fly there, rent a car and drive to Salzburg, the Lake Districk then to Vienna and fly home from there.
This would be approx. a 1 week trip, and we would probably look to stay a few days at each location.
I just read on another post about the wine region outside of Vienna, so we might try to squeeze that in too.
Any suggestions on which picturesque village to stay at in the Lake District? We would like to do some moderate hiking from the village and would like a village that is larger and has different places to explore. I was looking at St. Wolfgang. Is that a good place to stay? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Austria - Lake District,Salzburg & Vienna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Finding hotels and flights globally
- 2 Vicenza and Padua (Palladian villas) without a car
- 3 St Germain
- 4 Lakes District UK
- 5 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 6 Suggestions for Munich in early December
- 7 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 8 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 9 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 10 Have you recently visited Copenhagen?
- 11 Oct. 2014 in Croatia, Slovenia, Montenagro and Bosnia-Herzegovina: TR
- 12 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 13 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 14 Rome Areas to stay
- 15 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 16 Pleasant Perches from which to Ponder Paris?
- 17 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 18 Sicily in May 2015 Itinerary Question
- 19 Versailles-How Long to Plan for a Visit to Trianons
- 20 Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice with 4 teenagers, 1 kid, 19 days perfect!
- 21 December vacation help, 2 weeks - southern Italy or Spain or other?
- 22 Careful now in train stations even after security
- 23 Amsterdam + Alps + Tuscany in 2 weeks
- 24 When to go to Sicily
- 25 Wengen to Torino?