I am currently planning about 10 days to two weeks in northern Italy & Austria. I don't know yet exactly where we will be going other than starting somewhere north of Rome probably and ending up in Vienna. It seems that renting a car in Italy - perhaps Verona - and leaving it in Austria - outside of Vienna - could be expensive. we may be in Rome for a couple of days but then on to either the Cinque Terra or Verona.
So I'm thinking of train through parts of Italy and then get the car around Innsbruck or Salzburg. We aren't huge city people and prefer countryside & villages more, so the cities would be just a starting point perhaps.
My main question here: what is the driving like in Austria in late April? I know it will vary depending on mountain passes etc. but I haven't been to Austria before so just can't sort out where to go and where to avoid. Probably the last two weeks and probably from Innsbruck or Salzburg to Vienna. We prefer driving over trains if possible given the ability to stop where you want and be somewhat unscheduled.
Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tattoos in Italy
- 2 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 3 London/Edinburgh in a few weeks, what should I get done ahead of time?
- 4 Another Question re Scotland
- 5 Place to stay
- 6 Milan to Chamonix by bus
- 7 Charming areas to explore in London
- 8 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 9 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 10 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 11 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 12 9 days in Eastern Sicily
- 13 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 14 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 15 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 16 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 17 2 weeks from southern italy
- 18 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 19 Puglia: A question about eating @ a masseria
- 20 travel around Spain
- 21 Guide books for Eastern Europe
- 22 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 23 A base for 5 days in Western Denmark
- 24 credit and debit cards
- 25 Where to stay in Umbria