I am currently planning about 10 days to two weeks in northern Italy & Austria. I don't know yet exactly where we will be going other than starting somewhere north of Rome probably and ending up in Vienna. It seems that renting a car in Italy - perhaps Verona - and leaving it in Austria - outside of Vienna - could be expensive. we may be in Rome for a couple of days but then on to either the Cinque Terra or Verona.
So I'm thinking of train through parts of Italy and then get the car around Innsbruck or Salzburg. We aren't huge city people and prefer countryside & villages more, so the cities would be just a starting point perhaps.
My main question here: what is the driving like in Austria in late April? I know it will vary depending on mountain passes etc. but I haven't been to Austria before so just can't sort out where to go and where to avoid. Probably the last two weeks and probably from Innsbruck or Salzburg to Vienna. We prefer driving over trains if possible given the ability to stop where you want and be somewhat unscheduled.
Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 2 Greece
- 3 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 4 David's Abbreviated Iceland Trip Report
- 5 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 6 Dolomites Sept 2017 express bus schedules
- 7 Airport Transfer Vienna
- 8 Iceland
- 9 Spain - day driver advice
- 10 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 11 London with Teens Trip Report
- 12 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 13 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 14 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 15 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 16 Breakfast Outside of Dublin off M7 (Driving to West Coast)
- 17 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 18 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 19 2 weeks Croatia Itinerary - Doable??
- 20 Coordinating Transportation and Lodging near Leicester
- 21 Lake Como AREA questions
- 22 Berlin to ?
- 23 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 24 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 25 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland