My boyfriend and I have decided to go to Greece this summer - from 9th to 22th of august, and I'm trying to plan our trip. But now I'm not sure if it makes sense with the amount of days that I'm planning for each place.
1) Athens from 9th to 13th of august.
2) Aegina Island from 13th to 15th of august
3) Crete from 15th to 22th of august.
We both want to go to Athens for a few days, see the main sights like Akropolis, Monastiráki and Plaka, but also have time to feel the city a little, explore, have a drink or two maybe and relax with some good food.
With our current plan we will have 3,5 days in Athens. Is this too short??
Then [u]I [/u]really wanted to see the Island of Aegina. I read that it's less touristy than other islands, that locals usually go there and in general should be a very charming island to visit with a real Greek feel to it..
My bf think its a very small island and was afraid that a whole week or more would be to much, so we compromised, and now thinking of doing both Aegina and Crete.
Aegina for app. 1,5 day according to the above time-schedule.
Again, does this make sense? Is it to long/short or should we cut out Aegina from out plans entirely and use the extra days in either Athens or Crete?
I've been to Crete once before many year ago, lived close by Heraklion, and didn't see much else.
Now we're thinking about staying in Chania or Rethymnon, but finding it very hard to decide which.
As with Athens, out main goal is to get a feel of the island, see maybe some villages, some main sights (haven't decided about knossos yet) and explore the city we will live in. We're not big beach-goers, but it would be nice to have the opportunity to go to a nice beach once or twice. I don't think we will be doing the Samaria gorge hike, since august will probably be very hot, and we're not the hiking type of couple in general - but if there are shorter similar tours, with great views that would definitely be and option for us.
We're also planing to rent a car for some days and we both want to go to Elafonissi beach..
Any recommendations to which city to choose?
Chania is a bigger city with more life, is that correct?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 2 9 Days in Spain
- 3 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 4 Barcelona alternative
- 5 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 6 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 7 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 8 Spanish Medical Providers
- 9 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 10 Paris to Italy
- 11 Driving through Paris
- 12 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 13 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 14 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 15 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 16 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 17 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 18 Road trip with our dog
- 19 Frankfurt to UK
- 20 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 21 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 22 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 23 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 24 Electrical Power Conversion
- 25 Douro Valley in January?