I am planning a 2 1/2- 3 week fall 2012 trip to Italy to celbrate my 60th. I am an artist (femaile) and want to spend time wandering around, seeing sites, and doing a little painting and drawing (lots of photograpy) along the way, etc. I am pretty fluent in Spanish, but not Italian; I feel comfortable being alone, although I like meeting people and being spontaneous, and I think the countryside might be as appealing as the city. I might have a friend join in for a few days of the trip.
I think Venice, Florence and the Tuscan countryside (but where??) are most appealing to me. Maybe the Adriatic? Maybe the Amalfi Coast? A day trip to Pisa? Somewhere else? Rome is not so important (too congested). I like the idea of staying longer in fewer places with day trips possible from my "base". What do you recommend?
Fying into Venice seems like a good idea, and then on to Florence. Trains are good, but I am open to renting a car if need be to explore the countryside. Advice--as in "must do", "avoid", "be careful", and "if you can, fit it in" would be wonderful.
You all seem to have wonderful advice, so thanks in advance. I look forward to your suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam hotels
- 2 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 3 Denmark or Sweden?
- 4 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 5 Trek through Eur
- 6 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 7 Europe itinerary questions
- 8 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 9 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 10 Paris hotels
- 11 London Hotels
- 12 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 13 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 14 We're here!
- 15 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?
- 16 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 17 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 18 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 19 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 20 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 21 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 22 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 23 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 24 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 25 Brugge hotel help