I am planning a 2 1/2- 3 week fall 2012 trip to Italy to celbrate my 60th. I am an artist (femaile) and want to spend time wandering around, seeing sites, and doing a little painting and drawing (lots of photograpy) along the way, etc. I am pretty fluent in Spanish, but not Italian; I feel comfortable being alone, although I like meeting people and being spontaneous, and I think the countryside might be as appealing as the city. I might have a friend join in for a few days of the trip.
I think Venice, Florence and the Tuscan countryside (but where??) are most appealing to me. Maybe the Adriatic? Maybe the Amalfi Coast? A day trip to Pisa? Somewhere else? Rome is not so important (too congested). I like the idea of staying longer in fewer places with day trips possible from my "base". What do you recommend?
Fying into Venice seems like a good idea, and then on to Florence. Trains are good, but I am open to renting a car if need be to explore the countryside. Advice--as in "must do", "avoid", "be careful", and "if you can, fit it in" would be wonderful.
You all seem to have wonderful advice, so thanks in advance. I look forward to your suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spanish Medical Providers
- 2 Area in Madrid we might be staying
- 3 Basing on the Akrotiri Penisula in Crete?
- 4 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 5 Italy Car Scam
- 6 Ireland - 1 Week Options
- 7 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 8 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 9 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 10 Restaurants Barcelona , Seville and Granada
- 11 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 12 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 13 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 14 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 15 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 16 Quizz !
- 17 Iceland
- 18 Venice/Mestre
- 19 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 20 Our future trip to Greece
- 21 Russia in two weeks in December
- 22 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 23 Christmas Day in Granada
- 24 car insurance italy
- 25 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona