I am planning a 2 1/2- 3 week fall 2012 trip to Italy to celbrate my 60th. I am an artist (femaile) and want to spend time wandering around, seeing sites, and doing a little painting and drawing (lots of photograpy) along the way, etc. I am pretty fluent in Spanish, but not Italian; I feel comfortable being alone, although I like meeting people and being spontaneous, and I think the countryside might be as appealing as the city. I might have a friend join in for a few days of the trip.
I think Venice, Florence and the Tuscan countryside (but where??) are most appealing to me. Maybe the Adriatic? Maybe the Amalfi Coast? A day trip to Pisa? Somewhere else? Rome is not so important (too congested). I like the idea of staying longer in fewer places with day trips possible from my "base". What do you recommend?
Fying into Venice seems like a good idea, and then on to Florence. Trains are good, but I am open to renting a car if need be to explore the countryside. Advice--as in "must do", "avoid", "be careful", and "if you can, fit it in" would be wonderful.
You all seem to have wonderful advice, so thanks in advance. I look forward to your suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 3 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 4 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 5 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 6 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 7 Places of interest
- 8 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 9 Switzerland in November?
- 10 A Month stay in Southern France
- 11 vienna
- 12 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 13 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 14 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 15 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 16 Ireland travel passport question
- 17 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 18 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 19 Oxford England Accommodations
- 20 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 21 Croatia transportation question.
- 22 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 23 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 24 We were NOT going to Europe this year --- but
- 25 getting to CDG