New to Austria area, would love feedback on our very rough draft plans…
Things that I love to seek out when traveling: cheese, wine, yarn, knitting stores, visiting small villages that specialize in something handmade, freshly made butter, cows, chickens (I know, there’s a theme here) Trying new foods, herbs, small gardens. Not a big museum fan, rather roam streets and see what interesting shops or cafes we can find. Maybe tour one castle.
Not a big fan of crowds--really like to experience things as a local but can find value in soaking up culture in cities such as Innsbruck and Salzburg for a few days. We’d love to scout out an area that would be ideal for next summer when we could bring out 2 children back. Maybe a farm stay.
We're flying into Zurich because of our frequent flyer miles.
Day 1: Fly into Zurich and take 4 hour train to Innsbruck. Stay in Innsbruck and pick up rental car.
Day 2: 2nd night in Innsbruck (If we’re not touring museums, do we need another night in Innsbruck?)
Day 3: Drive to Heiligenblut. (1 night stay—suggestions on where to stay?)
Day 4: Drive to Hallstatt (suggestions on where to stay?)
Day 5: Drive to Salzburg (Looking for upscale country inn maybe on outskirts of Salzburg to be home base for next 3 days.)
Day 6: Salzburgerland area (Day trips--suggestions on small towns)
Day 7: Salzburgerland (Day trip) OVERNIGHT TRAIN FROM SALZBURG TO ZURICH (have not been able to get a lot of information on how to book or what sleeper options are available.)
Day 8: Fly out of Zurich mid morning.
Any suggestions? We're not "set" on any of these places. Very flexible.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 daily itinerary ideas for southern Languedoc and Rousillon
- 2 Rome, Amalfi coast September/October help
- 3 12 Days in Italy
- 4 Health insurance coverage
- 5 Vintage trip report: Greenland, 1995
- 6 Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen: a german trip report
- 7 A week in Greece, single woman alone
- 8 3 weeks in Italy...questions...
- 9 Oh Italy, What to wear!
- 10 Day Trips from Venice with Tweens / Teens
- 11 Family vacay in Europe
- 12 London, Edinburgh, Italy..HELP!
- 13 Please help with my almost 3 week itinerary for Croatia
- 14 Italy - best two central locations
- 15 Another Book List for Italy
- 16 Croatia, Slovenia, Austria with Preschoolers
- 17 Good and not too touristy restaurants
- 18 Day trip suggestion from London
- 19 Trip Report:Rome, Florence, Tuscany in December
- 20 Back to Paris--need hotel advice
- 21 Classical Music in Milan
- 22 Pousadas in Portugal
- 23 Eight Days in Berlin; Walks, Food, Museums and Ambivalence
- 24 Places to visits near Porto
- 25 From Denmark to Balkan and around