New to Austria area, would love feedback on our very rough draft plans…
Things that I love to seek out when traveling: cheese, wine, yarn, knitting stores, visiting small villages that specialize in something handmade, freshly made butter, cows, chickens (I know, there’s a theme here) Trying new foods, herbs, small gardens. Not a big museum fan, rather roam streets and see what interesting shops or cafes we can find. Maybe tour one castle.
Not a big fan of crowds--really like to experience things as a local but can find value in soaking up culture in cities such as Innsbruck and Salzburg for a few days. We’d love to scout out an area that would be ideal for next summer when we could bring out 2 children back. Maybe a farm stay.
We're flying into Zurich because of our frequent flyer miles.
Day 1: Fly into Zurich and take 4 hour train to Innsbruck. Stay in Innsbruck and pick up rental car.
Day 2: 2nd night in Innsbruck (If we’re not touring museums, do we need another night in Innsbruck?)
Day 3: Drive to Heiligenblut. (1 night stay—suggestions on where to stay?)
Day 4: Drive to Hallstatt (suggestions on where to stay?)
Day 5: Drive to Salzburg (Looking for upscale country inn maybe on outskirts of Salzburg to be home base for next 3 days.)
Day 6: Salzburgerland area (Day trips--suggestions on small towns)
Day 7: Salzburgerland (Day trip) OVERNIGHT TRAIN FROM SALZBURG TO ZURICH (have not been able to get a lot of information on how to book or what sleeper options are available.)
Day 8: Fly out of Zurich mid morning.
Any suggestions? We're not "set" on any of these places. Very flexible.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 2 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 3 Chilling in the Aeolian Islands
- 4 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 5 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 6 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 7 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 8 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 9 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 10 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 11 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 12 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 13 Things to do in Brussels
- 14 Madrid airport question
- 15 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 16 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 17 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 18 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 19 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 20 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 21 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 22 38 Days in Paris
- 23 Naxos car rental
- 24 Greek Islands (small)
- 25 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)