New to Austria area, would love feedback on our very rough draft plans…
Things that I love to seek out when traveling: cheese, wine, yarn, knitting stores, visiting small villages that specialize in something handmade, freshly made butter, cows, chickens (I know, there’s a theme here) Trying new foods, herbs, small gardens. Not a big museum fan, rather roam streets and see what interesting shops or cafes we can find. Maybe tour one castle.
Not a big fan of crowds--really like to experience things as a local but can find value in soaking up culture in cities such as Innsbruck and Salzburg for a few days. We’d love to scout out an area that would be ideal for next summer when we could bring out 2 children back. Maybe a farm stay.
We're flying into Zurich because of our frequent flyer miles.
Day 1: Fly into Zurich and take 4 hour train to Innsbruck. Stay in Innsbruck and pick up rental car.
Day 2: 2nd night in Innsbruck (If we’re not touring museums, do we need another night in Innsbruck?)
Day 3: Drive to Heiligenblut. (1 night stay—suggestions on where to stay?)
Day 4: Drive to Hallstatt (suggestions on where to stay?)
Day 5: Drive to Salzburg (Looking for upscale country inn maybe on outskirts of Salzburg to be home base for next 3 days.)
Day 6: Salzburgerland area (Day trips--suggestions on small towns)
Day 7: Salzburgerland (Day trip) OVERNIGHT TRAIN FROM SALZBURG TO ZURICH (have not been able to get a lot of information on how to book or what sleeper options are available.)
Day 8: Fly out of Zurich mid morning.
Any suggestions? We're not "set" on any of these places. Very flexible.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 2 Netherlands holiday with a 2.5 year old
- 3 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 4 October travel to Northern France--early or late?
- 5 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 6 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 7 Italy
- 8 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 9 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 10 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 11 UK for 12 days !
- 12 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 13 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 14 Just Another Macarons, Hot Chocolate, Tucked into Bed by 11 Paris Report
- 15 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 16 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 17 Italy and Croatia 28 days
- 18 accommodation woes - Sicily
- 19 Vienne or Lyon and then onward to Nice
- 20 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 21 TGV from Charles de Gaulle airport to Avignon
- 22 best beaches on the costa del sol
- 23 Travel with Teens
- 24 Vatican - Wednesday General Audience
- 25 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt