New to Austria area, would love feedback on our very rough draft plans…
Things that I love to seek out when traveling: cheese, wine, yarn, knitting stores, visiting small villages that specialize in something handmade, freshly made butter, cows, chickens (I know, there’s a theme here) Trying new foods, herbs, small gardens. Not a big museum fan, rather roam streets and see what interesting shops or cafes we can find. Maybe tour one castle.
Not a big fan of crowds--really like to experience things as a local but can find value in soaking up culture in cities such as Innsbruck and Salzburg for a few days. We’d love to scout out an area that would be ideal for next summer when we could bring out 2 children back. Maybe a farm stay.
We're flying into Zurich because of our frequent flyer miles.
Day 1: Fly into Zurich and take 4 hour train to Innsbruck. Stay in Innsbruck and pick up rental car.
Day 2: 2nd night in Innsbruck (If we’re not touring museums, do we need another night in Innsbruck?)
Day 3: Drive to Heiligenblut. (1 night stay—suggestions on where to stay?)
Day 4: Drive to Hallstatt (suggestions on where to stay?)
Day 5: Drive to Salzburg (Looking for upscale country inn maybe on outskirts of Salzburg to be home base for next 3 days.)
Day 6: Salzburgerland area (Day trips--suggestions on small towns)
Day 7: Salzburgerland (Day trip) OVERNIGHT TRAIN FROM SALZBURG TO ZURICH (have not been able to get a lot of information on how to book or what sleeper options are available.)
Day 8: Fly out of Zurich mid morning.
Any suggestions? We're not "set" on any of these places. Very flexible.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 2 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 3 Bavaria: Santa Claus and Evil Twin Krampus!
- 4 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 5 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 6 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 7 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 8 Luggage storage in Barcelona
- 9 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 10 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 11 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 12 American Express
- 13 Airport ATMs
- 14 Bayonne or St Jean de Luz
- 15 Three ferries to Mull
- 16 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 17 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 18 Christmas markets: E Germany, Poland, Prague
- 19 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 20 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 21 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 22 All Set To Go!!
- 23 Our October trip to Andalucia!
- 24 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 25 Accommodations in or near Brussels with parking