The long planned re-design of the approach to Mont-Saint-Michel from the mainland is finally being realized - after years and years of planning, re-tooling to answer complaints from shop keepers on the island who fear that restricting cars to remote parking lots two miles away on the mainland would affect their businesses, etc.
Cars will be banished to parking lots on the mainland with some kind of shuttle whisking them to within 1/4 mile of the actual entrance to the island - down from a planned half-mile walk from where the shuttle will ejaculate the hoards of visitors - shopkeepers though the 1/2 mile too far and feared some would not make the walk so the shuttle terminus was moved up to .25 miles - increasing costs and slowing down plans.
The final walk over an oak walkway is meant to simulate how medieval pilgrims full of anticipation approached the Mount.
Current parking lots right at the foot of the island will be demolished too I guess.
Anyway after years of procrastination the new bridge is taking shape and when done the old causeway, dating from 1879 will be demolished - this will supposedly alleviate the silting up of the bay that leaves the Mount high and dry part of the mainland most of the year except in unusually high tides.
The article says the Mount is the most visited national monument in France attracting 2.5 million visitors a year - 55% of them being foreign visitors - surprisingly only about half of the visitors climb the steep steps to go into the famous abbey itself.
So things are a changing on good old Mont-Saint-Michel - well at least a different approach.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 2 네임드사다리 소스 ※연결 : pwn22.com●가입코드:ctx20▶kakao:ctx2012
- 3 16 days in France and Italy
- 4 How are the feasts in Malta Celebrated?
- 5 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 6 Avoid Europcar!
- 7 Tent camping in France, Spain and Portugal
- 8 Visiting the Dordogne/Lot
- 9 quickest way to Prague
- 10 Paris for children
- 11 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 12 Do I need a Swiss rail pass?
- 13 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 14 Scotland - We're Here!
- 15 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 16 Private Guide in Cordoba, Spain
- 17 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 18 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 19 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 20 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 21 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 22 Germany/Switzerland Help
- 23 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 24 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 25 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco