The long planned re-design of the approach to Mont-Saint-Michel from the mainland is finally being realized - after years and years of planning, re-tooling to answer complaints from shop keepers on the island who fear that restricting cars to remote parking lots two miles away on the mainland would affect their businesses, etc.
Cars will be banished to parking lots on the mainland with some kind of shuttle whisking them to within 1/4 mile of the actual entrance to the island - down from a planned half-mile walk from where the shuttle will ejaculate the hoards of visitors - shopkeepers though the 1/2 mile too far and feared some would not make the walk so the shuttle terminus was moved up to .25 miles - increasing costs and slowing down plans.
The final walk over an oak walkway is meant to simulate how medieval pilgrims full of anticipation approached the Mount.
Current parking lots right at the foot of the island will be demolished too I guess.
Anyway after years of procrastination the new bridge is taking shape and when done the old causeway, dating from 1879 will be demolished - this will supposedly alleviate the silting up of the bay that leaves the Mount high and dry part of the mainland most of the year except in unusually high tides.
The article says the Mount is the most visited national monument in France attracting 2.5 million visitors a year - 55% of them being foreign visitors - surprisingly only about half of the visitors climb the steep steps to go into the famous abbey itself.
So things are a changing on good old Mont-Saint-Michel - well at least a different approach.
Approach Work at Mont-Saint-Michel Underway!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 2 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 3 Experience with car service "Paris Cab" and others that have carseats?
- 4 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 5 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 6 Tuscany intinerary-what to do on a Sunday
- 7 Murren/Wengen in 3 days?
- 8 What to wear
- 9 Cornwall Trip Addition
- 10 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 11 Best way to get from Brno to Budapest
- 12 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 13 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 14 Chip but no PIN
- 15 Almost 3 weeks in Sicily in March
- 16 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 17 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 18 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 19 Stay near Paris
- 20 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help
- 21 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 22 Oktoberfest reservations
- 23 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 24 Eurostar booking
- 25 Questions for my German friends