The long planned re-design of the approach to Mont-Saint-Michel from the mainland is finally being realized - after years and years of planning, re-tooling to answer complaints from shop keepers on the island who fear that restricting cars to remote parking lots two miles away on the mainland would affect their businesses, etc.
Cars will be banished to parking lots on the mainland with some kind of shuttle whisking them to within 1/4 mile of the actual entrance to the island - down from a planned half-mile walk from where the shuttle will ejaculate the hoards of visitors - shopkeepers though the 1/2 mile too far and feared some would not make the walk so the shuttle terminus was moved up to .25 miles - increasing costs and slowing down plans.
The final walk over an oak walkway is meant to simulate how medieval pilgrims full of anticipation approached the Mount.
Current parking lots right at the foot of the island will be demolished too I guess.
Anyway after years of procrastination the new bridge is taking shape and when done the old causeway, dating from 1879 will be demolished - this will supposedly alleviate the silting up of the bay that leaves the Mount high and dry part of the mainland most of the year except in unusually high tides.
The article says the Mount is the most visited national monument in France attracting 2.5 million visitors a year - 55% of them being foreign visitors - surprisingly only about half of the visitors climb the steep steps to go into the famous abbey itself.
So things are a changing on good old Mont-Saint-Michel - well at least a different approach.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 2 Belgium for the 1st time
- 3 Help! Suggestions for Italian itinerary
- 4 Best Destination for Teenage Girls?
- 5 Which bus from Bratislava train station
- 6 First Post, Lots of Questions
- 7 Torridon Scotland. Four days. What to do?
- 8 Norway Trip Report 2016
- 9 Parma hotels - Pacchiosi or Rosa Prati
- 10 Overstaying 90 day Schengen stay limit
- 11 February in Florence
- 12 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 13 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 14 Munich hotel near the Christmas Village late November
- 15 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 16 Iceland and the Fareoe Islands in two weeks
- 17 The highlands
- 18 Naxos hotel question
- 19 Juangfrau / mt
- 20 1 week solo in Europe. Which of these?
- 21 Loire Valley itinerary
- 22 Venice, September 2016, a trip report (sort of).
- 23 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg
- 24 Should we go to Vienna?
- 25 Please recommend an honest car rental service in Romania