The long planned re-design of the approach to Mont-Saint-Michel from the mainland is finally being realized - after years and years of planning, re-tooling to answer complaints from shop keepers on the island who fear that restricting cars to remote parking lots two miles away on the mainland would affect their businesses, etc.
Cars will be banished to parking lots on the mainland with some kind of shuttle whisking them to within 1/4 mile of the actual entrance to the island - down from a planned half-mile walk from where the shuttle will ejaculate the hoards of visitors - shopkeepers though the 1/2 mile too far and feared some would not make the walk so the shuttle terminus was moved up to .25 miles - increasing costs and slowing down plans.
The final walk over an oak walkway is meant to simulate how medieval pilgrims full of anticipation approached the Mount.
Current parking lots right at the foot of the island will be demolished too I guess.
Anyway after years of procrastination the new bridge is taking shape and when done the old causeway, dating from 1879 will be demolished - this will supposedly alleviate the silting up of the bay that leaves the Mount high and dry part of the mainland most of the year except in unusually high tides.
The article says the Mount is the most visited national monument in France attracting 2.5 million visitors a year - 55% of them being foreign visitors - surprisingly only about half of the visitors climb the steep steps to go into the famous abbey itself.
So things are a changing on good old Mont-Saint-Michel - well at least a different approach.
Approach Work at Mont-Saint-Michel Underway!
- 1 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 2 15 Day Europe Trip - Mix of rail and car.. Cost ineffective?
- 3 rent car / Munich
- 4 Advent weekend in Quedlinburg
- 5 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 6 Italian Lakes gardens
- 7 Is there a best time of day to visit the Alhambra?
- 8 Walking shoes for London and Paris
- 9 Greek islands from Turkey
- 10 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 11 Chambermaid tipping
- 12 TGV and Provence questions
- 13 Novels set in Greece
- 14 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 15 To Paris and Provence in June
- 16 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 17 Bavarian Honeymoon Suggestions
- 18 More help with housing in Puglia
- 19 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 20 Euro Train
- 21 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 22 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 23 Rome Accommodation
- 24 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 25 Travel from Prague to Basel