The long planned re-design of the approach to Mont-Saint-Michel from the mainland is finally being realized - after years and years of planning, re-tooling to answer complaints from shop keepers on the island who fear that restricting cars to remote parking lots two miles away on the mainland would affect their businesses, etc.
Cars will be banished to parking lots on the mainland with some kind of shuttle whisking them to within 1/4 mile of the actual entrance to the island - down from a planned half-mile walk from where the shuttle will ejaculate the hoards of visitors - shopkeepers though the 1/2 mile too far and feared some would not make the walk so the shuttle terminus was moved up to .25 miles - increasing costs and slowing down plans.
The final walk over an oak walkway is meant to simulate how medieval pilgrims full of anticipation approached the Mount.
Current parking lots right at the foot of the island will be demolished too I guess.
Anyway after years of procrastination the new bridge is taking shape and when done the old causeway, dating from 1879 will be demolished - this will supposedly alleviate the silting up of the bay that leaves the Mount high and dry part of the mainland most of the year except in unusually high tides.
The article says the Mount is the most visited national monument in France attracting 2.5 million visitors a year - 55% of them being foreign visitors - surprisingly only about half of the visitors climb the steep steps to go into the famous abbey itself.
So things are a changing on good old Mont-Saint-Michel - well at least a different approach.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Honeymoon trip to Europe - Would love your recommendations
- 2 Travel WiFi - France
- 3 Age requirement for hotels in Europe
- 4 Help with itinerary
- 5 Where to start Chiantigiana drive from Montepulciano?
- 6 Bellagio Accomodations in October
- 7 3 nights in Paris
- 8 1 day trip from Nice
- 9 Trip report (Lisbon, Doura valley, Marvao, Evora, Algarve)
- 10 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 11 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 12 Planning Advice!
- 13 To Varenna from Milan Malpensa: By car or by train?
- 14 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 15 Day Trip to Santa Margarhertia Ligure, Portofino, and Camogli
- 16 Northern Italy in mid-October
- 17 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 18 Wine Harvest in Italy 2016 - when?
- 19 England and Wales by public transport
- 20 Our European adventures
- 21 Walking Scotland
- 22 Naples or Genoa
- 23 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 24 2 Nights in Bath, 1 Night in Ludlow - Itinerary Details
- 25 Were to stay near Lecce?