The long planned re-design of the approach to Mont-Saint-Michel from the mainland is finally being realized - after years and years of planning, re-tooling to answer complaints from shop keepers on the island who fear that restricting cars to remote parking lots two miles away on the mainland would affect their businesses, etc.
Cars will be banished to parking lots on the mainland with some kind of shuttle whisking them to within 1/4 mile of the actual entrance to the island - down from a planned half-mile walk from where the shuttle will ejaculate the hoards of visitors - shopkeepers though the 1/2 mile too far and feared some would not make the walk so the shuttle terminus was moved up to .25 miles - increasing costs and slowing down plans.
The final walk over an oak walkway is meant to simulate how medieval pilgrims full of anticipation approached the Mount.
Current parking lots right at the foot of the island will be demolished too I guess.
Anyway after years of procrastination the new bridge is taking shape and when done the old causeway, dating from 1879 will be demolished - this will supposedly alleviate the silting up of the bay that leaves the Mount high and dry part of the mainland most of the year except in unusually high tides.
The article says the Mount is the most visited national monument in France attracting 2.5 million visitors a year - 55% of them being foreign visitors - surprisingly only about half of the visitors climb the steep steps to go into the famous abbey itself.
So things are a changing on good old Mont-Saint-Michel - well at least a different approach.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 2 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 3 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 4 Another tipping question: concierges
- 5 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 6 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 7 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 8 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 9 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 10 Interesting places to visit
- 11 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 12 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 13 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 14 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 15 Acropolis Athens
- 16 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 17 Buying iDTGV tickets at a station
- 18 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 19 Private Tour from Malaga to Seville
- 20 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 21 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 22 Trip Ideas
- 23 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 24 IRELAND Magical Time-lapse Mediation of County Kerry Ireland
- 25 Madrid and Granada in Jan