The long planned re-design of the approach to Mont-Saint-Michel from the mainland is finally being realized - after years and years of planning, re-tooling to answer complaints from shop keepers on the island who fear that restricting cars to remote parking lots two miles away on the mainland would affect their businesses, etc.
Cars will be banished to parking lots on the mainland with some kind of shuttle whisking them to within 1/4 mile of the actual entrance to the island - down from a planned half-mile walk from where the shuttle will ejaculate the hoards of visitors - shopkeepers though the 1/2 mile too far and feared some would not make the walk so the shuttle terminus was moved up to .25 miles - increasing costs and slowing down plans.
The final walk over an oak walkway is meant to simulate how medieval pilgrims full of anticipation approached the Mount.
Current parking lots right at the foot of the island will be demolished too I guess.
Anyway after years of procrastination the new bridge is taking shape and when done the old causeway, dating from 1879 will be demolished - this will supposedly alleviate the silting up of the bay that leaves the Mount high and dry part of the mainland most of the year except in unusually high tides.
The article says the Mount is the most visited national monument in France attracting 2.5 million visitors a year - 55% of them being foreign visitors - surprisingly only about half of the visitors climb the steep steps to go into the famous abbey itself.
So things are a changing on good old Mont-Saint-Michel - well at least a different approach.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 2 Is it just me or are German cities depressingly ugly?
- 3 France to stop making foie grois
- 4 Free International calls online
- 5 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 6 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 7 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 8 Greece or Spain in April with Kids?
- 9 How big backpack do I need?
- 10 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 11 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 12 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 13 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 14 Path of the Gods Question
- 15 Loire Valley 12 days
- 16 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 17 Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria for Christmas...?
- 18 a few days in berlin and auschwitz?
- 19 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 20 Gulet - Croatia vs Turkey vs Greece
- 21 Greece Itinerary
- 22 15 days in Sep 2016: Itinerary help pls
- 23 Prague on a budget...
- 24 Eurail or Swiss Pass in Switzerland
- 25 Have the terrorist attacks changed where you go & how you travel?