We are arriving in Switzerland Sept 14/12 for 17 days before moving on to Venice. We will be departing from our last "base" in Lugano and taking the train to Venice on Sept 30. Based on everything we want to see and do, we have gone through the pros and cons of a 15 days SP vs. a Half Fare Card, and the Half Fare card comes out slightly less expensive (approx 50 CHF pp). In addition the 15 day SP leaves us with two days where we are on our own without a SP either at the beginning or end of the time in Switzerland. I also calulated the costs of 4 4-day 2 for 1 Swiss Passes, and it is quite a bit more than either the 15 day SP (saver pass) or the Half fare Card.
Is there any benefit in using a SP vs. a Half Fare Card when taking the train from Switzerland to Italy (Lugano to Venice) or will we need to pay full fare regardless since our destination is Italy? As I've poured over the many posts on here regarding Swiss Passes I agree with most that the best way to figure it out is to do the math based on what you want to do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!
Any benefit in Swiss Pass vs. Half Fare Card for Lugano to Venice train?
- 1 May 25, 2013: Being tourists and finding festivals
- 2 Our trip to Rome & the Amalfi Coast (with all transportation logistics included!)
- 3 The Old ATM Question Ally Bank Debit Cards in Europe today
- 4 Paris Museum Pass--Where best for us to purchase?
- 5 browsing homes for sale in Kent
- 6 First time student to Europe- Need help with ticket purchase and itinerary
- 7 Traveling with a guide in Turkey
- 8 2 days to get from Paris to Rome
- 9 Drive or Train ?? - Lausanne-Interlaken-Zurich
- 10 4 days in Zurich for the adventurous- what to do?
- 11 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 12 Need help in deciding!! Trip in end of July
- 13 IRELAND ELECTRONIC HELP
- 14 Turkey - through the back doors of Truckstops and Business Hotels...
- 15 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 16 Olive Oil Tasting in Tuscany
- 17 Tolls on Grossglockner Alpine Road
- 18 Air show in Paris, what to expect
- 19 Stop over in France
- 20 Paris - Apartment on Rue Volta, 3rd arr?
- 21 Vatican Guided Tours Questions
- 22 Beaune Hotel or B&B Recommendation Please
- 23 Family Trip in July - General Guidance Would be Appreciated
- 24 Scotland Itinerary getting better, still needs your expertise!
- 25 2 weeks in Slovenia and Croatia--Need help planning