We are arriving in Switzerland Sept 14/12 for 17 days before moving on to Venice. We will be departing from our last "base" in Lugano and taking the train to Venice on Sept 30. Based on everything we want to see and do, we have gone through the pros and cons of a 15 days SP vs. a Half Fare Card, and the Half Fare card comes out slightly less expensive (approx 50 CHF pp). In addition the 15 day SP leaves us with two days where we are on our own without a SP either at the beginning or end of the time in Switzerland. I also calulated the costs of 4 4-day 2 for 1 Swiss Passes, and it is quite a bit more than either the 15 day SP (saver pass) or the Half fare Card.
Is there any benefit in using a SP vs. a Half Fare Card when taking the train from Switzerland to Italy (Lugano to Venice) or will we need to pay full fare regardless since our destination is Italy? As I've poured over the many posts on here regarding Swiss Passes I agree with most that the best way to figure it out is to do the math based on what you want to do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 vienna
- 2 Questions about Polish sights
- 3 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 4 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 5 Bernina Express mid-March
- 6 Ireland travel passport question
- 7 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 8 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 9 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 10 4 days itinerary for France
- 11 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 12 where to stay in London?
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Juangfrau / mt
- 15 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 16 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 17 Switzerland
- 18 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 19 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 20 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 21 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 22 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 23 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 24 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 25 Southern Germany - a base for travel
Any benefit in Swiss Pass vs. Half Fare Card for Lugano to Venice train?