On somewhat spur of the moment I cashed in a bunch of Delta miles and bought a ticket to Turkey in the first week of September, and am doing some research now to come up with an itinerary. Here's a first stab at things... I would really welcome any suggestions. Thank you!
Sat Sep 3 - arrive IST ~10 AM. Hotel TBD. early afternoon istanbul exploration. Thinking probably some bazaars as they are closed sundays.
Sun Sep 4 - AM flight to Izmir, on to Selcuk and Ephesus.
Mon Sep 5 - around Selcuk
Tue Sep 6 - early AM flight to Kayseri or Neveshir. On to Goreme.
Wed Sep 7 - hiking. would like to get to ihlara valley for hiking as well.
Th Sep 8 - underground cities and other sites
Fri sep 9 - early AM flight to Istanbul - Istanbul
Sat Sep 10 - possible day trip to Bursa or on the Bosphorous or istanbul
Sun Sep 11 - Istanbul - maybe 1/2 day trip to Princes Islands
Mon Sep 12 - depart for NYC on noon flight
Question: how timely are domestic flights? I'm looking into trying to stay with Turkish air but their tickets are sometimes double those of the other carriers. Onur and Sunexpress have timings I want [from bulucuk.com] for Izmir but overall less frequent if something were to go wrong and I might be stuck at airport... Also, is it easier to get from Sultanhamet to IST or to SAW?
Any adjustments to the schedule you would make? Reason for earlier short stay in Istanbul is due to flights from Izmir to Kayseri being more frequent on Tuesday or Thursday.
thanks again for suggestions and comments!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 driving loop in Normandy
- 2 U K Shelves Ambitious Rail Improvements
- 3 For art lovers in London next week
- 4 One day in Paris!
- 5 Luggage in rental car while touring Normandie and Loire Valley
- 6 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 7 Drumroll....I finally decided on a Roman Hotel!
- 8 Lake Maggiore?
- 9 Bed & Breakfast in Paris for one night
- 10 Is it worth it to add Istanbul to a trip to Greece?
- 11 Bodensee: Ride from Bregenz to Arbon, Switzerland
- 12 French Basque country
- 13 Oh no, yet another Alhambra ticket-timing question
- 14 Seeking help on my 12 days trip from Switzerland to Austria
- 15 Tales of the Texas Two; or, Ladies in London
- 16 Provence 5 days 4 night (3.5 full days) itinerary
- 17 Traveling around Castile-Leon
- 18 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 19 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 20 Night at MSM or Honfleur?
- 21 PAY ATTENTION AT TERMINI TRAIN STATION
- 22 Best way to deal with large, cash-only lodging bill - Amsterdam
- 23 Night life for 20 somethings: Madrid vs. Barcelona
- 24 Six Days to get From Athens to Rome
- 25 Rome Walking Guide