On somewhat spur of the moment I cashed in a bunch of Delta miles and bought a ticket to Turkey in the first week of September, and am doing some research now to come up with an itinerary. Here's a first stab at things... I would really welcome any suggestions. Thank you!
Sat Sep 3 - arrive IST ~10 AM. Hotel TBD. early afternoon istanbul exploration. Thinking probably some bazaars as they are closed sundays.
Sun Sep 4 - AM flight to Izmir, on to Selcuk and Ephesus.
Mon Sep 5 - around Selcuk
Tue Sep 6 - early AM flight to Kayseri or Neveshir. On to Goreme.
Wed Sep 7 - hiking. would like to get to ihlara valley for hiking as well.
Th Sep 8 - underground cities and other sites
Fri sep 9 - early AM flight to Istanbul - Istanbul
Sat Sep 10 - possible day trip to Bursa or on the Bosphorous or istanbul
Sun Sep 11 - Istanbul - maybe 1/2 day trip to Princes Islands
Mon Sep 12 - depart for NYC on noon flight
Question: how timely are domestic flights? I'm looking into trying to stay with Turkish air but their tickets are sometimes double those of the other carriers. Onur and Sunexpress have timings I want [from bulucuk.com] for Izmir but overall less frequent if something were to go wrong and I might be stuck at airport... Also, is it easier to get from Sultanhamet to IST or to SAW?
Any adjustments to the schedule you would make? Reason for earlier short stay in Istanbul is due to flights from Izmir to Kayseri being more frequent on Tuesday or Thursday.
thanks again for suggestions and comments!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 2 Austria In Nov first week
- 3 Dordogne and Loire Valley
- 4 Barcelona completely overrated
- 5 One quick week -- where in France?
- 6 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 7 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 8 Spain Itinerary Help
- 9 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 10 Small foodie tours in Bologna
- 11 Travel to Karlsrhue
- 12 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 13 London Itinerary and Questions
- 14 Venice Cruise Port: Santa Lucia or Mestre?
- 15 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 16 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 17 MiFi in Italy
- 18 Cork or Galway?
- 19 Sitges Hotel ??
- 20 Italy - Car Rental - CDW's and Insurance
- 21 Bead Tours in Jablonec?
- 22 French lavender and cottages
- 23 Rail/Hoylhead/Edinburgh
- 24 Vienna →Melk → Durnstein → Krems: details, details…
- 25 A week in Europe (Switzerland area)