Thanks in advance for reading this post. My new husband and I will be in England for 10 nights next May. Five nights will be in London--I had the great fortune of living there briefly; but, he has never been, so I'm hoping this will be a good--although short--introduction. We also will be spending 2 to 3 nights in the Yorkshire dales. The question is where to go the other 2-3 nights that would fit into the trip. We are thinking of arriving in London, traveling straight to Yorkshire or the as yet undetermined location or vice versa then ending our stay in London. We decided we don't want to rent a car; but, I'm really not sure if that's practical given the fact that what we want is something "off the beaten path." I just generally think of rail as being the best way to travel. We are interested in scenery and history (yes, it's ridiculous to say history because any which way you go in England, you will find it..........) We are not interested in shopping, seeing other tourists, fancy hotels. I'm thinking more of a B & B type situation (no more than 100 pounds/night) . We love food and drink--but that doesn't mean fancy restaurants. One crucial requirement is that we go to a very old, quaint, pub. I did look on the National Trust website and it is truly amazing; but, the dates were not easy to work with--some had minimum stays/ only had availablility on days that we weren't there,etc. The most attractive locations to me on that site were the ones truly in the countryside. We have been intested in going to Rye; but, I don't have a clear picture if that would be better just for a day trip or to actually stay. I know I'm not providing much guidance; but, I think of London as the hustle bustle part of our trip and the rest of it as the relaxing, enjoying scenery, long lunches-in-pubs-before-seeing-an-old-abbey-or-castle part of our trip. ANY suggestions, advice or thoughts is very much appreciated!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 2 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 3 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 4 Alhambra
- 5 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 6 Shorts in South of France?
- 7 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 8 UK in May and June
- 9 Scilly Islands --Abbey Gardens --Tresco
- 10 Spain: train/rental car help
- 11 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 12 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 13 London GTG - early Oct are you available?
- 14 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 15 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 16 13 nights in switzerland
- 17 Norway in a nutshell in Winter Itinerary
- 18 Uber or driver/tour guide in Cotswolds?
- 19 Copenhagen or Stockholm? for music
- 20 Request Hotel Suggestion in London
- 21 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 22 Thinking about the Fjords
- 23 Salzburg-storing luggage at train station
- 24 Athens, Greece to Venice...maybe my favorite trip yet?
- 25 Berlin activities -need help with organisation, please
Another England Itinerary Question! Ten Night Honeymoon Next May..........