This will be a brief but informative report.
Flew in to Malaga due to Ryan air flight, rented car through Hertz with a great deal for 6 days, 78 euros booked online (rental car), so we thought.
Hertz= at counter, lady shows me receipt for 376 euros, wtf? She included, second driver, gas and insurance without me asking for it. Told her I didn't need them but she told me gas had to be on there at 65 euros extra, oh well. (btw, this is bs, dealing with hertz now). Anyhow, I brought back the car with only 10 Km left before empty, I pushed it, i know.
Sevilla= stood at Hotel Becquer, close to city center and had secured parking at 16.50E a day.
About a 2 hr drive from Malaga at about 120 Km's per hour the majority of the way, this region has great roads but scenery boring, endless olive trees. The hotel turned off the A/C and the rooftop terrace was closed, which sucked because the pictures online promised both. It was warm in the 70's so I needed a fan to sleep as too much outside noise from open windows. The staff made up for these minuses though. Great help.
Sevilla itself= good city for a few days, highlight was the Cathedral and the Alcazar. Lots of walking to do but you will need a map as to there being no guidance signs or are hard to find. I coudnt do more than a few days as it is not a huge city with a ton of must see attractions like Paris or London.
Cordoba= Went there specifically for the cathedral/Mosque attraction and It was great. Stood at a hotel near the Roman bridge. Finding the hotel was a PITA and I think I will expect a "crossing a restricted street" fine in the mail soon, its a hard city to maneuver in with a car. Not a great walking city as we couldn't find anything that stood out after the cathedral/mosque. Was there only 1 day.
Granada= about 2 hours from Cordoba by car. Went there for the Alhambra, wow, must see. We had great weather and bigger than what you think. Tickets are said to be a PITA to get but we got ours the day prior.
Tickets procedures for The Alhambra= online or at the front gate. You have 2 time options to choose from when choosing online, 0830-1430, 1430-1700 and then hourly slots in those time frames, this is confusing and means: my 1200 chosen slot is for the palace entry time frame till 1430, not the whole Alhambra. I can be in the Alhambra all day but my time to enter the palace within the Alhambra is slotted from 1200-1430 (but a good hour is enough anyways).
I bought my tickets online but picked them up at the front gate automated machines by the bookstore with no waiting at all. I guess summertime its more crowded. I parked right up front also, about 8 euros for 3-4 hours.
The food of Spain= I dont like it. I'm not crazy about Jamon or Tapas and the selection in between is lacking. I like to cook so I can appreciate good food. Went to a foo-foo restaurant in Cordoba for grilled octopus and cohinito, pricey and just , okay. Morrocan food in Sevilla was good but again too much fluff over substance and I make a mean chicken tagine. Tasty though.
After jones'ing for a burger we ate at a number 3 on yelp place in Sevilla. I got food poisoning from the burger, spouse thought it smelled rancid but it tasted good. Holy hell was I doing an Exorcist remake in my hotel room for the next whole day! Sad when you look forward to finding a Mcdonalds.
Would do differently next time= go from Malaga-Granada-Cordoba-Sevilla route as this cuts out driving time.
I wanted to enjoy the view and smoke a cigar on hotel rooftop, didn't happen, I would call ahead of time to confirm, would of been great after a long day. In Sevilla, Hotel Dona Maria has a great view from the cathedral tower and is next to the cathedral with rooftop pool, for what its worth.
The people of Andalusia are warmer than Barcelona/Madrid but its a slower paced living.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 2 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 3 Italian lakes
- 4 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 5 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 6 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 7 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 8 France, UK and Ireland
- 9 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 10 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 11 French theater in Paris
- 12 Fine-tuning Requested: Naxos, Santorini, Athens Itinerary
- 13 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 14 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 15 Barcelona appartment is it a good location ?
- 16 bavaria itinerary in may with a 3 year old
- 17 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 18 Menaggio/Varenna to St Moritz and back
- 19 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 20 What do after Bernia Express?
- 21 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 22 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 23 Walking itinerary in England?
- 24 Rouen Tour Companies
- 25 Best way to learn a foreign language?
Andalusia (Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba) trip report
This will be a brief but informative report.