A lot of things are called ‘Al’- in El Andalus or Andalusia as it is written in English: Alcazar, Alhambra; and all those words that the Arabs brought with them to Spain: for shop and a carpet as one might expect; but also meatball, bathrobe, basil, mayor and of course alphabet. And many more.
The main cities of the South all have fortresses, gardens and palaces from that era; and on bus journeys into the interior you can see Moorish castles on hills.
They must have loved the plentiful water, the shady trees and the often fertile fields of grain and olive bushes stretching into the distance. Better than back home.
They were gradually defeated by the Northern Christians who destroyed most of their mosques; or in the case of Cordoba converted them into churches. In 1453 Arabs did the same- but the other way round-in Istanbul when they converted the masterpiece of Christian art, the Hagia Sophia, to Islam.
The trip report continues on
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to make this adventure work?
- 2 Mailing prescription meds to France?
- 3 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 4 Driving from London to Scotland.
- 5 Thello Train Ticket - Oct 11 - Paris to Venice - "temporarily closed"
- 6 Determing Location of FIRST BIG TRIP - Where do go in Italy?
- 7 where to stay in Germany
- 8 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady
- 9 FIRST TRIP TO PARIS/ITALY
- 10 Christmas Market 2014 Itinerary help
- 11 Barcelona apartment input, please
- 12 Majorca - where to stay?
- 13 Basel - Day Trip
- 14 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 15 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 16 Spending money in Italy?
- 17 Driving Holiday Austria-Switzerland-Italy/Germany-Austria
- 18 Train pass for travel in Italy, France, and Netherlands??
- 19 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 20 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 21 Moving to Bayswater (London) - How is the neighborhood?
- 22 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 23 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 24 I went to Paris in June
- 25 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe