A lot of things are called ‘Al’- in El Andalus or Andalusia as it is written in English: Alcazar, Alhambra; and all those words that the Arabs brought with them to Spain: for shop and a carpet as one might expect; but also meatball, bathrobe, basil, mayor and of course alphabet. And many more.
The main cities of the South all have fortresses, gardens and palaces from that era; and on bus journeys into the interior you can see Moorish castles on hills.
They must have loved the plentiful water, the shady trees and the often fertile fields of grain and olive bushes stretching into the distance. Better than back home.
They were gradually defeated by the Northern Christians who destroyed most of their mosques; or in the case of Cordoba converted them into churches. In 1453 Arabs did the same- but the other way round-in Istanbul when they converted the masterpiece of Christian art, the Hagia Sophia, to Islam.
The trip report continues on
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vigo Spain????
- 2 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 3 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)
- 4 Visiting Zurich
- 5 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 6 Paris in August
- 7 Help with Spain Itinerary
- 8 Spain, Portugal trip planning
- 9 Christmas in Spain
- 10 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 11 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 12 Train travel to and from Paris
- 13 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 14 Zadar or Sibenik
- 15 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 16 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 17 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 18 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 19 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 20 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 21 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 22 Driving in Italy
- 23 Norway for 1 week, ideas for planning
- 24 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed
- 25 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time