A lot of things are called ‘Al’- in El Andalus or Andalusia as it is written in English: Alcazar, Alhambra; and all those words that the Arabs brought with them to Spain: for shop and a carpet as one might expect; but also meatball, bathrobe, basil, mayor and of course alphabet. And many more.
The main cities of the South all have fortresses, gardens and palaces from that era; and on bus journeys into the interior you can see Moorish castles on hills.
They must have loved the plentiful water, the shady trees and the often fertile fields of grain and olive bushes stretching into the distance. Better than back home.
They were gradually defeated by the Northern Christians who destroyed most of their mosques; or in the case of Cordoba converted them into churches. In 1453 Arabs did the same- but the other way round-in Istanbul when they converted the masterpiece of Christian art, the Hagia Sophia, to Islam.
The trip report continues on
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
- 2 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 3 London Hotel - Different Request
- 4 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 5 Paris and Normandy
- 6 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 7 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 8 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 9 British Airways - Global Entry - TSA precheck
- 10 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 11 Best area to stay in Dubrovnik
- 12 DUBROVNIK: staying inside oldtown vs Hotel Excelsior/Hilton?
- 13 London in Winter Report
- 14 Santorini Greece - Cooking Lessons
- 15 Spain in September/October:a Good Idea?
- 16 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 17 Airport Transit Visa
- 18 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 19 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 20 Roma...any ideas for exploration?
- 21 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 22 Paris advice with kids
- 23 Anniversary trip to France
- 24 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 25 Scenic drive Bologna to Lucca?