A lot of things are called ‘Al’- in El Andalus or Andalusia as it is written in English: Alcazar, Alhambra; and all those words that the Arabs brought with them to Spain: for shop and a carpet as one might expect; but also meatball, bathrobe, basil, mayor and of course alphabet. And many more.
The main cities of the South all have fortresses, gardens and palaces from that era; and on bus journeys into the interior you can see Moorish castles on hills.
They must have loved the plentiful water, the shady trees and the often fertile fields of grain and olive bushes stretching into the distance. Better than back home.
They were gradually defeated by the Northern Christians who destroyed most of their mosques; or in the case of Cordoba converted them into churches. In 1453 Arabs did the same- but the other way round-in Istanbul when they converted the masterpiece of Christian art, the Hagia Sophia, to Islam.
The trip report continues on
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 2 One month in southern Spain with little ones. Where to stay?
- 3 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 4 4 days in switzerland
- 5 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 6 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 7 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 8 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 9 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 10 2 Months around Europe and the Balkans. Need help with itinerary!
- 11 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 12 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 13 Scenic Driving Routes
- 14 Chatsworth/Hardwick Hall Timing
- 15 Trip Report Iceland Ring Road in Campervan
- 16 Swiss Pass dilemma
- 17 London's Must Sights!
- 18 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 19 What is the area around Camaiore like?
- 20 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!
- 21 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 22 Midway stop btwn Paris & Venice?
- 23 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 24 My Ring Road experience in Iceland
- 25 14 nights in Europe