We are beginning to think about a Europe trip in the fall of 2015. I like to do a lot of reading and work on the language, wherever we go, hence the long time frame. At first, Dresden (some ancestors came from there eons ago) and Berlin were on the bucket list. Then magnetic forces starting pulling us down to Spain, which we have never visited. At first, it was to be Barcelona and Catalonia. Then the Mudejar Force took over and pulled us south toward Andalucia.
Herewith, our very early thoughts about this trip. Your reactions are eagerly awaited.
Us: late 60s, like to walk, love food, wine, art, architecture, history, all that stuff. Also like a chance to polish up our very rusty Mexican Spanish and try it in Iberia. What we do not like are very long plane trips with multiple changes and long layovers, and this explains some of the structure of this initial draft of the trip:
Fly Burlington, Vermont – Newark – Madrid
Train at once to Cordoba (and continue to use trains for the rest of the trip)
2 Cordoba – Mezquita, plus the awesome flamenco which judy_rosa’s excellent Fodor trip report recommended
2 Granada – Alhambra s-l-o-w-l-y both day and night
…and now we leave Andalucia for…
2 Toledo – we’re deep into El Greco, looking forward to this
2 Madrid – it’s hard for me to get a feel for Madrid, there have been so many different impressions of it on various Fodor reports. We don’t relish the idea of 7 hours in the Prado.
Leave Madrid for Newark and Burlington
We tend to go for two-night stays in a place, with a three-night stay in large cities that have many great things to see. Our attitude is: sample a few of the big things and put that city back on the bucket list for another visit.
Thanks in advance for comments, ideas, suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe First Timers
- 2 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 3 Athens Help
- 4 how to get to Salzburg from Krakow
- 5 Berlin -clubs
- 6 Berlin
- 7 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 8 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 9 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 10 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 11 base in brussels
- 12 A quick visit to Hampton Court
- 13 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 14 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 15 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 16 Brussels Hotel Recommendation
- 17 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 18 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 19 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 20 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 21 Trains in Italy
- 22 Uber vs. TfL
- 23 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
- 24 TikiTouringTwins - toddler travel
- 25 Alitala