in this NYTimes article:
The author is pretty hard on Amsterdam officials and Museum Plein, on which it sits - especially excoriating the supermarket built next to it - a bogus charge IMO since the supermarket is underground - he just laments its above ground entrance - I think Amsterdam is right in making such things as supermarkets available to its residents and this was one of the few areas a large new one could be built in the city centre.
I think the writer suffers from a serious case of snob nose-in-the-air attitude I all too often find in art critics - missing the whole picture to give his witty take on things and how they should have been.
I also applaud Amsterdam officials for OKing such a monstrous to some addition to a world-famous museum.
Unlike Venice for example Amsterdam in recent years has shown it is a real city and modern protrusions that such boorish art critics may lampoon signify just that..
Anyone have an opinion on the new Modern Art Museum (Stedelijk) addition?
Amsterdam's Stedelijk 'Bath Tub" Addition Panned...
in this NYTimes article:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with extended vacation / move to Italy with little ones …
- 2 Looking for review of 1-day Pompeii/Naples Itinerary Please
- 3 Travel from Positano to Rome in Sept
- 4 Berlin: Itinerary & Acco help pls
- 5 Need advice on Northern Spain itinerary
- 6 How many bus/metro rides in Paris is too many in a day?
- 7 2 full days in Strasbourg - need advise on what tours to take
- 8 3 weeks in Italy - what to do with remaining 1 week?
- 9 Christmas Markets and White Christmas in the Alps
- 10 Last minute opportunity for a 5 week Europe trip: HELP PLS
- 11 Amsterdam: My list of things to do/see is ready - Pls help in daily planning
- 12 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 13 Cinque Terre in early August: Nightmare or still worthwhile?
- 14 Florence Hotel Location advice pls
- 15 Posting from Siena-ATM emergency! Help needed!
- 16 I went to Paris in June
- 17 "Compartment" vs "Saloon Carriage" in 2nd class: Salzburg to Venice?
- 18 Florence veg friendly restaurant suggestions pls
- 19 Venice veg friendly restaurant suggestions pls
- 20 Venice hotel: Select from the shortlist pls
- 21 Help! Aegean Airlines booking info & baggage
- 22 Cheap Traveling in Spain
- 23 I´ve resurrected an old blog on the Basque Country
- 24 Brugge photo on Bing
- 25 A week in the South of France Sept 2014