We're going to Amsterdam for 9 days at the end of March/beginning of April with our 1.5 year old girl. We'll be staying in an apartment relatively close to the city, supposedly on the number 5 tram (the number may be incorrect). My husband is attending a conference so we're kind of "stuck" in the area the whole time. I think that's okay because that gives us plenty of time to soak up the European lifestyle, and not feel rushed to see any sights. I have a few questions that I was hoping the well-traveled mamas/papas could answer.
Stroller - At home we own an agile jogging-type stroller (Bumbleride Indie, if that helps). I feel this is probably too large to bring with us, especially since we will rely on public transportation, at least to get into the city each day. Should we bring an umbrella stroller? I have an Ergo, but my daughter isn't used to it for several hours a day.
Biking - I am considering renting a bike for the trip. I don't bike regularly, but I've been researching the biking way of life in Amsterdam so I think I could benefit from it while not getting in the locals' way. Am I delusional or do only serious cyclists attempt this, especially with a child seat? If I rent a bike, will I have any need for a stroller, or will I use both, depending on the day/mood/weather?
Car seat - since we're not renting a car, we shouldn't bring the car seat with us, right? Note: we're bringing a bunch of luggage, it's probably best if we taxi to our apt. Can toddlers ride in taxis with no safety seat? Am I a bad parent for suggesting this?
Diapers - my daughter wears the natural/chemical-dye-free/granola Seventh Generation diapers (she has sensitive skin and gets rash easily). I'd prefer not to bring an entire 9-day supply with us. Understanding they're more expensive, will we be able to find the general equivalent of a chemical-free/natural diaper?
I know these questions are very specific, but I appreciate any response. Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 2 Andalucia Spain
- 3 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 4 Amsterdam and...?
- 5 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 6 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 7 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 8 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 9 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 10 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 11 Driving in Italy
- 12 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 13 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 14 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 15 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 16 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 17 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 18 Day trips from milano and torino december 2017
- 19 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?
- 20 Paris to Bordeaux
- 21 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 22 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 23 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 24 Anyone have a pocket wifi for international travel?
- 25 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
Amsterdam with toddler; getting around & logistical questions