We're going to Amsterdam for 9 days at the end of March/beginning of April with our 1.5 year old girl. We'll be staying in an apartment relatively close to the city, supposedly on the number 5 tram (the number may be incorrect). My husband is attending a conference so we're kind of "stuck" in the area the whole time. I think that's okay because that gives us plenty of time to soak up the European lifestyle, and not feel rushed to see any sights. I have a few questions that I was hoping the well-traveled mamas/papas could answer.
Stroller - At home we own an agile jogging-type stroller (Bumbleride Indie, if that helps). I feel this is probably too large to bring with us, especially since we will rely on public transportation, at least to get into the city each day. Should we bring an umbrella stroller? I have an Ergo, but my daughter isn't used to it for several hours a day.
Biking - I am considering renting a bike for the trip. I don't bike regularly, but I've been researching the biking way of life in Amsterdam so I think I could benefit from it while not getting in the locals' way. Am I delusional or do only serious cyclists attempt this, especially with a child seat? If I rent a bike, will I have any need for a stroller, or will I use both, depending on the day/mood/weather?
Car seat - since we're not renting a car, we shouldn't bring the car seat with us, right? Note: we're bringing a bunch of luggage, it's probably best if we taxi to our apt. Can toddlers ride in taxis with no safety seat? Am I a bad parent for suggesting this?
Diapers - my daughter wears the natural/chemical-dye-free/granola Seventh Generation diapers (she has sensitive skin and gets rash easily). I'd prefer not to bring an entire 9-day supply with us. Understanding they're more expensive, will we be able to find the general equivalent of a chemical-free/natural diaper?
I know these questions are very specific, but I appreciate any response. Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How the kids age calculated
- 2 Madrid airport question
- 3 Sintra
- 4 Murren to Prague
- 5 What tips can you give about packing?
- 6 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 7 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 8 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 9 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 10 Aix Provence
- 11 best Provence itinerary to see Verdon Gorge
- 12 Vegetarian Food in Spain & Portugal
- 13 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 14 Cotswolds or Lake District Walking Tour
- 15 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 16 Painted Hall in London well worth a visit!!
- 17 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 18 Taxi Cost / Uber Question
- 19 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 20 Cordoba Overnight?
- 21 Madrid Hotel; Europa, Preciados or Petit Palace Posada de Peine?
- 22 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 23 Portugal - 2 week honeymoon itinerary - Looking for feedback
- 24 ST.TROPEZ - 1 day Excursions
- 25 One night in Rome
Amsterdam with toddler; getting around & logistical questions