I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 the ultimate trip report Barcelona
- 2 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 3 Bamboozled. First trip to Europe. Motorhome v car and other questions...
- 4 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 5 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 6 European Cooking Secrets
- 7 15 days in Europe starting and ending in Amsterdam
- 8 Almalfi coast late March? Or Piedmont?
- 9 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 10 Verona or Athens?
- 11 Italy or France with a 15 month old in March?
- 12 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 13 Lisbon guided sightseeing tours
- 14 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?
- 15 Trip summary: London, England, July 2016
- 16 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 17 Skiing Village or Small Town near Vienna
- 18 Uwaga : koniec = parking fine
- 19 Manchester (MAN) vs. Heathrow
- 20 Need itinerary suggestions for 7 days in Spain before Christmas Eve
- 21 Rome 1st Time - Wish you'd known, tips, unexpected surprises
- 22 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 23 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 24 Assisi, Chianti & Inqie Terre-2 wks.
- 25 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!