I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Amsterdam, Laws and Knife ban ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ideas for Scotland trip
- 2 CRETE - Rethymnon area or Chania area ??
- 3 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 4 Side trip from Nice to wine country suggestions
- 5 Greece trip report - winter in the center - Epirus, Pelion etc
- 6 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 7 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 8 Arc de Triumph Question
- 9 Venice - visiting the Arsenal.
- 10 Geneva - Basel driver/tour/transfer
- 11 Berner Oberland for 3 days over Thanksgiving
- 12 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 13 Printing Paris Bus Routes --Kerouac, others?
- 14 Tivoli Gardens - any special place for birthday dinner
- 15 London & Cotswold or Prague & Amsterdam
- 16 What to wear
- 17 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 18 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 19 Paris November 2014
- 20 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 21 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 22 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 23 Traveling in France by train
- 24 Which lake to visit in Italy
- 25 3 night stopover in Iceland - need suggestions