I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Amsterdam, Laws and Knife ban ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 2 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 3 England and Scotland
- 4 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 5 Iceland: How to Split Up 7 Days self-drive
- 6 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 7 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 8 Budapest to Berlin by Train - Tickets on DB BAHN not available for 05 Jan
- 9 Air pollution in Paris
- 10 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 11 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...
- 12 Euro Geography Quiz #2 - How Well Do You Know Europe?
- 13 connecting flight to marseille or not
- 14 rent phone and 3g wifi
- 15 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 16 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 17 France, Italy and Greec
- 18 Learning Polish: "No, you can't have my cat"
- 19 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 20 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 21 Avignon to Bordeaux by Train
- 22 Transfer from Linate to Bellagio
- 23 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 24 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 25 Naxos in May