I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 getting to CDG
- 2 Cambrils
- 3 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 4 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 5 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 6 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 7 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 8 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 9 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 10 Amalfi Coast help
- 11 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 12 CDG airport and connection time
- 13 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 14 Day trip to Montserrat - any tips?
- 15 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 16 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 17 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 18 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 19 Trains in Alps and UK
- 20 Switzerland
- 21 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 22 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 23 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 24 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 25 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary