I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Amsterdam, Laws and Knife ban ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 rail pass
- 2 April in Madrid
- 3 Madrid hotel near Atocha Station
- 4 Winter in europe - am I being too ambitious?
- 5 4 weeks by rail starting Rome
- 6 Destination Benson; help with 2 options, please
- 7 Heading off to our 18day Eurotrip soon - 3000€ for 2 people? Enough?
- 8 mallorca
- 9 Is Heathrow or Gatwick best to use for going to London?
- 10 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 11 Using Obb website
- 12 France to Italy advice needed please
- 13 which is worse in july - rome or venice?
- 14 Age for booking a hotel?
- 15 Stansted Express or National Express - which is better?
- 16 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 17 Help Plan Our Trip !
- 18 Paris winter sales
- 19 What else for kids to see/do near Guedelon?
- 20 Euro Quiz # 43 - Geography
- 21 Spanish Music
- 22 Should I buy Euro's now?
- 23 Spending time in Berner Oblerand - Take a side trip to Saas Fee?
- 24 Great restaurants in Italy
- 25 Greece after the Vote