I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 2 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 3 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 4 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 5 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 6 Zurich to Milan trip
- 7 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 8 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 9 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 10 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 11 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 12 Spanish Medical Providers
- 13 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 14 San Sebastián
- 15 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 16 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 17 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 18 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 19 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 20 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 21 Planning A trip
- 22 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 23 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 24 Ireland with 2 young kids
- 25 Norway Outside the Nutshell