I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Amsterdam, Laws and Knife ban ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Gstaad, Switzerland, am I missing anything?
- 2 Best town to stay in when visiting Grossglockner area in Austria?
- 3 Amsterdam and An Amputee
- 4 Dolomites - Where to stay!
- 5 Paris for the First Time – Need Suggestions for a Non-touristy Experience
- 6 Italian Lakes
- 7 handel's messiah, new year's, paris
- 8 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 9 Dolomites in May? Worth it?
- 10 Munich - vacation apartment rental, week after Christmas
- 11 Bodrum to Rhodes ferry or hydrofoil schedule
- 12 Hotels and locations in Barcelona
- 13 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 14 Trip report of our visit to Rioja
- 15 Naxos in May
- 16 Tips for Chamonix in June?
- 17 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 18 Trains in Europe
- 19 Scuol, Switzerland
- 20 ENGLAND NOV 5 - 16 2014
- 21 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 22 seeking travel tips in italy and crotia
- 23 Wheelie Suitcases Ban
- 24 Scenic train rides from Milan to Lucerne
- 25 Hotels in Amsterdam and Paris @ less than 150 euros per night