I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Amsterdam, Laws and Knife ban ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy Countryside
- 2 Trip to Central and Eastern Europe Aug 2015 (3-9 months)
- 3 VISA question
- 4 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 5 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 6 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 7 Capri 5 star hotel Tiberio Palace or Capri Palace with teen daughters
- 8 2 weeks Bavaria - December 2015
- 9 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 10 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 11 Siena - Pienza - Montepulciano
- 12 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 13 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 14 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 15 France,Spain,Italy
- 16 Scotland November 2015
- 17 Which european city?
- 18 Bus Service Between Spoleto and Norcia
- 19 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris
- 20 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 21 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 22 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 23 Schengen Visa Rules
- 24 Rome or Stockholm - PLEASE HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND
- 25 What to do and what to see in Moscow in February?