I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Amsterdam, Laws and Knife ban ?
- 1 Paris and Amsterdam July 2013 trip
- 2 I'm Boycotting Switzerland And I'm Glad Belgium Makes Great Chocolate Too!
- 3 Driving through Europe
- 4 Barcelona June 2013 Trip Report
- 5 Romania Tour Guide
- 6 Transportation from Barcelona airport to Li Riberia
- 7 Best Area to Stay in Paris
- 8 Italy with kids - lost in the wilderness of planning - please help
- 9 Travel from Sorrento to Naples in the early morning?
- 10 5000 stairsteps, 40 ciao bellas, 12 trains, 8 pizzas, 3 women, 1 report
- 11 The "I'm moving/I'm coming home" Italy Trip Report...
- 12 In Venice then Wengen - Urgent help to choose Apt + Train ticket Sold Out
- 13 Amsterdam - Germany and Wine!
- 14 Help Needed with European Adventure
- 15 Places to visit from London
- 16 Nice agriturismo or country apartments/villa near Bologna
- 17 Rental car size in Spain: what's a supermini?
- 18 Renting Apartment in Nice
- 19 Do and don't, eating in France
- 20 Group tours of Greece/Greek islands for solo traveler
- 21 Who is along for the ride???Still needing help on this INTERESTING trip
- 22 Getting the best our of Europe
- 23 Mykonos, Greece Ferry Help Please
- 24 Help with Spain Trip in Late August
- 25 Paris museums free admission