I'm planning a long delayed first visit to Amsterdam for early May. Having a hard time deciding between a houseboat, which sounds like a cool experience as long as you get a good one, a hotel near the museum area, or a small apartment either in the Jordaan area, or a bit further out in Amsterdam Nord.
I'll be there for 6 full days with main objective being the #1 bucket list item of the Van Gogh museum. Plan on seeing some of the usual tourist highlights of the city, plus probably 3 day trips out to Haarlem, the windmills, and tulip fields.
Would it be most convenient to be nearer the Central Station considering the day trips? Would the Amsterdam Nord area be too far out for quick public trans over to the museums, etc.? I'm a light sleeper and wonder if the hotels in the museum area will be too noisy. Also have heard of problems with mosquitoes in apts without A/C when leaving the windows open if I hit a stretch of warm weather. I hate mosquitoes because they love me.....
For those of you who have visited, I would love your opinions.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 2 Vigo Spain????
- 3 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 4 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 5 Advise for driving from Lecce, to Pescara, Italy.
- 6 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 7 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 8 Paris in August
- 9 SURPRISE TRIP
- 10 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 11 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 12 Visiting Zurich
- 13 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 14 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 15 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 16 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 17 Andalucia Spain
- 18 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 19 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 20 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 21 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 22 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 23 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 24 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)
- 25 Help with Spain Itinerary