I'm planning a long delayed first visit to Amsterdam for early May. Having a hard time deciding between a houseboat, which sounds like a cool experience as long as you get a good one, a hotel near the museum area, or a small apartment either in the Jordaan area, or a bit further out in Amsterdam Nord.
I'll be there for 6 full days with main objective being the #1 bucket list item of the Van Gogh museum. Plan on seeing some of the usual tourist highlights of the city, plus probably 3 day trips out to Haarlem, the windmills, and tulip fields.
Would it be most convenient to be nearer the Central Station considering the day trips? Would the Amsterdam Nord area be too far out for quick public trans over to the museums, etc.? I'm a light sleeper and wonder if the hotels in the museum area will be too noisy. Also have heard of problems with mosquitoes in apts without A/C when leaving the windows open if I hit a stretch of warm weather. I hate mosquitoes because they love me.....
For those of you who have visited, I would love your opinions.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Petrol in Greece
- 2 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 3 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 4 FOCUS ON FRANCE: Paris and South of France
- 5 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 6 Liverpool & Beatles port tour
- 7 Train help for Prague
- 8 Meteora for older folk
- 9 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 10 Budapest & Prague
- 11 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 12 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 13 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 14 Paris day trips August
- 15 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 16 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 17 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 18 Acorn TV
- 19 Spain in July
- 20 Germany train help!
- 21 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 22 Athens
- 23 Transportation from Brno train station
- 24 Swiss Travel Pass
- 25 Need Info - Vienna, Prague, Venice, Geneva, Paris,