I'm planning a long delayed first visit to Amsterdam for early May. Having a hard time deciding between a houseboat, which sounds like a cool experience as long as you get a good one, a hotel near the museum area, or a small apartment either in the Jordaan area, or a bit further out in Amsterdam Nord.
I'll be there for 6 full days with main objective being the #1 bucket list item of the Van Gogh museum. Plan on seeing some of the usual tourist highlights of the city, plus probably 3 day trips out to Haarlem, the windmills, and tulip fields.
Would it be most convenient to be nearer the Central Station considering the day trips? Would the Amsterdam Nord area be too far out for quick public trans over to the museums, etc.? I'm a light sleeper and wonder if the hotels in the museum area will be too noisy. Also have heard of problems with mosquitoes in apts without A/C when leaving the windows open if I hit a stretch of warm weather. I hate mosquitoes because they love me.....
For those of you who have visited, I would love your opinions.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 2 Looking for an apartment to rent. Better than hotel?
- 3 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 4 two days to travel from bolzano to assisi
- 5 Edinbrugh
- 6 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 7 Bus from Potsdam to Dresden
- 8 Swimming to Paris
- 9 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 10 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 11 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 12 Scotland itinerary help
- 13 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 14 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 15 Istria in two days
- 16 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 17 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 18 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 19 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 20 Hiking in Switzerland
- 21 Need advice on the place to visit in Prague
- 22 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 23 Notes on our Edinburgh trip (end of May 2017)
- 24 Belfast leading up to July 12
- 25 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?