I am going to be in Amsterdam for 2 1/2 days in October. My husband and I would love to rent a bike for casual stroll with stops for a couple hours. We love to ride bikes but are not interested in the longer routes from Amsterdam to other cities, as this would take longer. Nor do we want to deal with the hectic bike traffic from locals within Amsterdam. We simply just want to ride bikes to for a short time to commute within towns rather than walking.
Some of my ideas that would fit into my itinerary are
- Train to Zaans Schans, then rent bikes to get around
- Train to Haarlem, then rent bikes
- Rent bikes in Amsterdam
I would probably do one of the 3 (or more depending on mood/weather). For Zaans Schans and Haarlem, I was having trouble finding bike maps/routes that show the area. Are these towns generally safe and easy to navigate?
If I decide to rent a bike within Amsterdam, where can I find bike maps that show easy rides with minimal biking in vehicle lanes? I am walking or taking trams/ferries during my other days to visit main attractions but if I can find an easy bike path to stroll around the river, then that would be ideal.
Any feedback or advice for easy bike rides or online maps are appreciated!
(This is my first post in the forum!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 2 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 3 Barcelona alternative
- 4 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 5 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 6 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 7 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 8 Road trip with our dog
- 9 Can parking
- 10 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 11 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 12 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 13 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 16 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 17 Douro Valley in January?
- 18 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 19 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 20 Munich and....???
- 21 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 22 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
- 23 italy Cinque Terre
- 24 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 25 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!