My partner and I are in our early 30's and planning to visit the broad region of "Europe" for the first time in Jan 2018. This will be our 'babymoon' before the crying, screaming, vomiting poop machine is born. We live in Brisbane, Australia, have never been to Europe however have traveled through North America and all through SE Asia, Maldives, etc. We are pretty versatile travelers who enjoy a mix of crowds, sightseeing, shopping and most of all FOOD. We've been known to sacrifice sleep for fun, however with one of us being pregnant we may have to tone it down a bit.
No bookings have been made and time is running out! Our plan is to depart late Dec 2017 or early Jan 2018 for 4 weeks total. Our bucket list cities include:
Iceland - We want to try and catch some 'Northern Lights' but understand they're unpredictable. Alternative locations include Finland, Sweden, Norway, however Iceland appears to be in the right latitude.
Geographically they are all pretty streamlined except for Venice. We'd obviously like to reduce the amount of back tracking to save transit times.
We'd most likely fly Brisbane via Singapore/Dubai into Europe. Maybe Barcelona first??
First 2 weeks:
Barcelona > (worth stopping in southern France somewhere?...in winter?) Venice > Paris >
Amsterdam > London??
Back to Brisbane, Australia.
Curious to see what people's thoughts are in terms of streamlining travel times and destinations....or are there other burning suggestions on cities we should be visiting for our first time there?
How busy is winter in the suggested destinations? We are hoping by early Jan crowds would have settled down a bit? Since we haven't booked anything yet, we are worried Iceland tours/hotels would be booked up already.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 2 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 3 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 4 Barcelona alternative
- 5 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 6 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 7 Frankfurt to UK
- 8 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 9 Spanish Medical Providers
- 10 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 11 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 12 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 13 Italy Car Scam
- 14 God Save the Queen?
- 15 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)
- 16 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 17 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 18 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Paris to Italy
- 21 9 Days in Spain
- 22 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 23 Bulgaria- hidden gems
- 24 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 25 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please