We are planning a trip for early September to Rome, and then down to somewhere near Amalfi. This is our first time to Italy, and we are in need of some suggestions!
First, we only have about 1.5 days in Rome, which I realize is rushed. We are going to get tickets ahead to the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel tours. I also want to see a few other tourist attractions there. Where is a good location or good hotel to stay to be close to these places, so as to save time on travel? We are looking for a medium-range hotel at least, for 5 adults.
Then, my finacee and I are heading down to the coast without the rest of the group. How does anyone suggest to get from Rome to the coast with our luggage? Also, is there a way we can stop at Pompeii and Naples on the way down? I am not sure what to do with our luggage if we take the train and stop.
Next, we cannot decide where to stay at the beach. Amalfi, Positano, Praiano, Maiori, Sorrento... we have heard so many different things. We want to be able to make some day trips from there, to capri/anacapri, vesuvius, etc. We also want to eat yummy food, go to the beach, and do some shopping and exploring. If we are unable to hit Pompeii and Naples on the way down from Rome, then we will also need to visit those places from there.
Any suggestions on the best place to stay (we have about 4 full days in this area) out of these places, and also hotel suggestions (looking for something nice, with a pool, great service, helpful to tourists, yummy food, etc.)? Anywhere where we can walk from easily is great too!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Alitala
- 2 First Solo Adventure
- 3 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 4 Trains in Italy
- 5 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 6 The Alhambra Private Tour Guide
- 7 Are you interested in visiting Iceland or you already have?
- 8 Travelling alone to Turkey @18
- 9 Georgia in 4 days
- 10 Where should I go with my family?
- 11 First Solo Adventure
- 12 Tasting sherry in Jerez
- 13 PARIS
- 14 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 15 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 16 Crete Holiday
- 17 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 18 UK 5 weeks How Far Can We Go!
- 19 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 20 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 21 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 22 Stu Tower
- 23 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 24 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 25 Tour or self drive Douro?