We are planning a trip for early September to Rome, and then down to somewhere near Amalfi. This is our first time to Italy, and we are in need of some suggestions!
First, we only have about 1.5 days in Rome, which I realize is rushed. We are going to get tickets ahead to the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel tours. I also want to see a few other tourist attractions there. Where is a good location or good hotel to stay to be close to these places, so as to save time on travel? We are looking for a medium-range hotel at least, for 5 adults.
Then, my finacee and I are heading down to the coast without the rest of the group. How does anyone suggest to get from Rome to the coast with our luggage? Also, is there a way we can stop at Pompeii and Naples on the way down? I am not sure what to do with our luggage if we take the train and stop.
Next, we cannot decide where to stay at the beach. Amalfi, Positano, Praiano, Maiori, Sorrento... we have heard so many different things. We want to be able to make some day trips from there, to capri/anacapri, vesuvius, etc. We also want to eat yummy food, go to the beach, and do some shopping and exploring. If we are unable to hit Pompeii and Naples on the way down from Rome, then we will also need to visit those places from there.
Any suggestions on the best place to stay (we have about 4 full days in this area) out of these places, and also hotel suggestions (looking for something nice, with a pool, great service, helpful to tourists, yummy food, etc.)? Anywhere where we can walk from easily is great too!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 2 4 Nights Sevilla/Cordoba in Nov; How to split up
- 3 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 4 Paris to Switzerland to Venice in 2 weeks?
- 5 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 6 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 7 Whistle stop family road trip
- 8 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 9 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 10 Scotland itinerary advice
- 11 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 12 Paris experts- hotel near train ?
- 13 Night Bus?
- 14 Best Date for Vatican Museums?
- 15 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 16 Parentheses in France Phone Nos...will iPhone dial appropriately?
- 17 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 18 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 19 2 Weeks in France: Rouen, Normandy, Dordogne and the Loire Valley
- 20 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 21 Suggestions for fall trip to Brittany
- 22 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 23 Help with tips in UK
- 24 Positano Hotel in September
- 25 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland