We are planning a trip for early September to Rome, and then down to somewhere near Amalfi. This is our first time to Italy, and we are in need of some suggestions!
First, we only have about 1.5 days in Rome, which I realize is rushed. We are going to get tickets ahead to the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel tours. I also want to see a few other tourist attractions there. Where is a good location or good hotel to stay to be close to these places, so as to save time on travel? We are looking for a medium-range hotel at least, for 5 adults.
Then, my finacee and I are heading down to the coast without the rest of the group. How does anyone suggest to get from Rome to the coast with our luggage? Also, is there a way we can stop at Pompeii and Naples on the way down? I am not sure what to do with our luggage if we take the train and stop.
Next, we cannot decide where to stay at the beach. Amalfi, Positano, Praiano, Maiori, Sorrento... we have heard so many different things. We want to be able to make some day trips from there, to capri/anacapri, vesuvius, etc. We also want to eat yummy food, go to the beach, and do some shopping and exploring. If we are unable to hit Pompeii and Naples on the way down from Rome, then we will also need to visit those places from there.
Any suggestions on the best place to stay (we have about 4 full days in this area) out of these places, and also hotel suggestions (looking for something nice, with a pool, great service, helpful to tourists, yummy food, etc.)? Anywhere where we can walk from easily is great too!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 2 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 3 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 4 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 5 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 6 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 7 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 8 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 9 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 10 3 nights in Madrid
- 11 Help with Ireland Trip
- 12 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 13 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 14 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 15 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 16 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 17 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 18 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 19 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 20 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 21 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 22 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 23 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 24 Iceland trip report!
- 25 Swimming in Lake Bled?