Appreciate this question has been done to death, however my searches result in a variety of recommendations, all of which have left me a little confused. Hence, I thought I would ask for some more specific advice.
We are planning a short (12-13 days total) trip to Italy in end May/beginning June. Our intentions are to spend the first 4-5 days/nights in Rome, before heading to the Amalfi Coast.
Last year (around the same time) we travelled to Florence and the Cinque Terre (picking up a car to drive between the two); so we thought we'd go south this time.
My question is - we plan to spend around 5 days on the coast (probably just out of Positano), and would like to drive the coast. Therefore, wondering where the best place is to pick up and drop off a vehicle.
Current considerations is to catch the train from Rome to Naples and pick up a car there, going straight out of Naples.
Other options include to pick up and/or drop off at Sorrento, but that seems less convenient than Naples?
Secondly, is it a bad time in June (around 5th - 12th) to be driving the coast? I suspect it's before the absolute peak of the summer?
Thirdly and finally, is it a bad idea to spend ~ 5-6 nights in the one place (we were thinking of staying here in Positano: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g194863-d2284867-Reviews-Colle_dell_Ara-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html )? Should we really be going between the various spots (we obviously intend to for day trips, at least).
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Amalfi coast: car hire
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European neo-nazis head Ukraine to save the white power
- 2 London hotel
- 3 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 4 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 5 Day trip from London to Paris
- 6 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 7 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 8 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 9 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 10 Welcome
- 11 Prague - Tram #22
- 12 hotels in Seville
- 13 Train: Bordeaux to San Sebastian
- 14 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 15 Three days in Spain
- 16 Location of hotel in Rome
- 17 Croatia - Hvar or Korcula or both?
- 18 Need advice for this
- 19 Lake como area on motorcycles
- 20 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 21 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 22 one last portugal car rental question
- 23 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 24 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 25 RentalCars.com: Is it a reliable company?