Appreciate this question has been done to death, however my searches result in a variety of recommendations, all of which have left me a little confused. Hence, I thought I would ask for some more specific advice.
We are planning a short (12-13 days total) trip to Italy in end May/beginning June. Our intentions are to spend the first 4-5 days/nights in Rome, before heading to the Amalfi Coast.
Last year (around the same time) we travelled to Florence and the Cinque Terre (picking up a car to drive between the two); so we thought we'd go south this time.
My question is - we plan to spend around 5 days on the coast (probably just out of Positano), and would like to drive the coast. Therefore, wondering where the best place is to pick up and drop off a vehicle.
Current considerations is to catch the train from Rome to Naples and pick up a car there, going straight out of Naples.
Other options include to pick up and/or drop off at Sorrento, but that seems less convenient than Naples?
Secondly, is it a bad time in June (around 5th - 12th) to be driving the coast? I suspect it's before the absolute peak of the summer?
Thirdly and finally, is it a bad idea to spend ~ 5-6 nights in the one place (we were thinking of staying here in Positano: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g194863-d2284867-Reviews-Colle_dell_Ara-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html )? Should we really be going between the various spots (we obviously intend to for day trips, at least).
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Amalfi coast: car hire
- 1 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 2 The Old ATM Question Ally Bank Debit Cards in Europe today
- 3 Drive Rome Florence
- 4 Barcelona
- 5 IRELAND ELECTRONIC HELP
- 6 Iwan2go went...to Prague, Salzburg, Vienna and Paris
- 7 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 8 Home base in Provence in July
- 9 9 or 10 night Spain itinerary
- 10 culinary classes in Biarritz/San Sebastian
- 11 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 12 Best area for wine and which one?
- 13 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 14 2001: A Maitaitom Italian Odyssey - "The Lost Trip Report"
- 15 Prague Itinerary
- 16 browsing homes for sale in Kent
- 17 Glendalough on Weekends in August
- 18 Vatican Guided Tours Questions
- 19 Balkans in 4 weeks - Feasible itinerary?
- 20 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 21 Scotland Itinerary getting better, still needs your expertise!
- 22 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 23 Best castle for 7 and 9 year old boys
- 24 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 25 Paris Perfect: change of apartment