Appreciate this question has been done to death, however my searches result in a variety of recommendations, all of which have left me a little confused. Hence, I thought I would ask for some more specific advice.
We are planning a short (12-13 days total) trip to Italy in end May/beginning June. Our intentions are to spend the first 4-5 days/nights in Rome, before heading to the Amalfi Coast.
Last year (around the same time) we travelled to Florence and the Cinque Terre (picking up a car to drive between the two); so we thought we'd go south this time.
My question is - we plan to spend around 5 days on the coast (probably just out of Positano), and would like to drive the coast. Therefore, wondering where the best place is to pick up and drop off a vehicle.
Current considerations is to catch the train from Rome to Naples and pick up a car there, going straight out of Naples.
Other options include to pick up and/or drop off at Sorrento, but that seems less convenient than Naples?
Secondly, is it a bad time in June (around 5th - 12th) to be driving the coast? I suspect it's before the absolute peak of the summer?
Thirdly and finally, is it a bad idea to spend ~ 5-6 nights in the one place (we were thinking of staying here in Positano: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g194863-d2284867-Reviews-Colle_dell_Ara-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html )? Should we really be going between the various spots (we obviously intend to for day trips, at least).
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 2 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 3 Germany or Sweden
- 4 Trains in Italy
- 5 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 6 November in Rome
- 7 Alitala
- 8 Whathello Paris
- 9 Trip report: Paris-Bordeaux-Barcelona-Madrid
- 10 Is This SIM Mobile Computer Plan OK?
- 11 Lisbon: Stay in the city or nearby?
- 12 PARIS
- 13 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 14 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 15 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 16 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 17 Rome -- The next time around
- 18 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 19 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 20 London vacation rental agency
- 21 Transport for local Venice travel
- 22 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 23 Campania in June, July, September
- 24 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 25 7 nights in Iceland, in July 2018