Appreciate this question has been done to death, however my searches result in a variety of recommendations, all of which have left me a little confused. Hence, I thought I would ask for some more specific advice.
We are planning a short (12-13 days total) trip to Italy in end May/beginning June. Our intentions are to spend the first 4-5 days/nights in Rome, before heading to the Amalfi Coast.
Last year (around the same time) we travelled to Florence and the Cinque Terre (picking up a car to drive between the two); so we thought we'd go south this time.
My question is - we plan to spend around 5 days on the coast (probably just out of Positano), and would like to drive the coast. Therefore, wondering where the best place is to pick up and drop off a vehicle.
Current considerations is to catch the train from Rome to Naples and pick up a car there, going straight out of Naples.
Other options include to pick up and/or drop off at Sorrento, but that seems less convenient than Naples?
Secondly, is it a bad time in June (around 5th - 12th) to be driving the coast? I suspect it's before the absolute peak of the summer?
Thirdly and finally, is it a bad idea to spend ~ 5-6 nights in the one place (we were thinking of staying here in Positano: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g194863-d2284867-Reviews-Colle_dell_Ara-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html )? Should we really be going between the various spots (we obviously intend to for day trips, at least).
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 2 Plug ins for London and Paris
- 3 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 4 Lake Como - basta!
- 5 please revew provence agenda
- 6 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 7 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 8 Norway in November
- 9 Visit Saint Rita Shrine in Cascia Italy
- 10 Christmas in Italy!!!
- 11 Tour of La Scala, Milan
- 12 ROME!!!
- 13 Using a Cell Phone in Europe
- 14 Swiss German
- 15 German Train travel
- 16 Provence to Nice driving
- 17 colorado provencal or ochre path in roussillon?
- 18 Switzerland/Italy Advice
- 19 Ferries from Santorini to Folegandros
- 20 Paris-Italy-Spain trip
- 21 Car rental/train option to Paola/San Lucido Italy? - Mom and 3 kids
- 22 London: Oyster, 2For1, Travel Card--Help!
- 23 Could really use Swiss train travel help
- 24 Transportation from Budapest to Krakow
- 25 lago maggiore: where to stay