Appreciate this question has been done to death, however my searches result in a variety of recommendations, all of which have left me a little confused. Hence, I thought I would ask for some more specific advice.
We are planning a short (12-13 days total) trip to Italy in end May/beginning June. Our intentions are to spend the first 4-5 days/nights in Rome, before heading to the Amalfi Coast.
Last year (around the same time) we travelled to Florence and the Cinque Terre (picking up a car to drive between the two); so we thought we'd go south this time.
My question is - we plan to spend around 5 days on the coast (probably just out of Positano), and would like to drive the coast. Therefore, wondering where the best place is to pick up and drop off a vehicle.
Current considerations is to catch the train from Rome to Naples and pick up a car there, going straight out of Naples.
Other options include to pick up and/or drop off at Sorrento, but that seems less convenient than Naples?
Secondly, is it a bad time in June (around 5th - 12th) to be driving the coast? I suspect it's before the absolute peak of the summer?
Thirdly and finally, is it a bad idea to spend ~ 5-6 nights in the one place (we were thinking of staying here in Positano: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g194863-d2284867-Reviews-Colle_dell_Ara-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html )? Should we really be going between the various spots (we obviously intend to for day trips, at least).
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Beaches in Southern France
- 2 3 days to spend in europe
- 3 What to do in Lauterbrunnen with Toddler
- 4 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 5 Driving from Rome to Florence?
- 6 Wearing The Hijab in Slovenia???
- 7 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 8 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 9 Toddler stroller - Yes or No for Switzerland trip?
- 10 Do some cities lose their appeal after a repeat visit?
- 11 Train Ticket with Swiss Pass or individual ticket?
- 12 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 13 Marseille or Cassis for Day in Port?
- 14 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 15 Spain Itinerary Help
- 16 Iceland Waterfall Advice
- 17 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 18 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 19 3 weeks in France, solo and without a car: please advise!
- 20 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 21 cell phone companys
- 22 italy itinerary
- 23 Krka waterfalls- Best time and best hotel?
- 24 Rome Rental Car
- 25 3 days with a Swindon base