Appreciate this question has been done to death, however my searches result in a variety of recommendations, all of which have left me a little confused. Hence, I thought I would ask for some more specific advice.
We are planning a short (12-13 days total) trip to Italy in end May/beginning June. Our intentions are to spend the first 4-5 days/nights in Rome, before heading to the Amalfi Coast.
Last year (around the same time) we travelled to Florence and the Cinque Terre (picking up a car to drive between the two); so we thought we'd go south this time.
My question is - we plan to spend around 5 days on the coast (probably just out of Positano), and would like to drive the coast. Therefore, wondering where the best place is to pick up and drop off a vehicle.
Current considerations is to catch the train from Rome to Naples and pick up a car there, going straight out of Naples.
Other options include to pick up and/or drop off at Sorrento, but that seems less convenient than Naples?
Secondly, is it a bad time in June (around 5th - 12th) to be driving the coast? I suspect it's before the absolute peak of the summer?
Thirdly and finally, is it a bad idea to spend ~ 5-6 nights in the one place (we were thinking of staying here in Positano: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g194863-d2284867-Reviews-Colle_dell_Ara-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html )? Should we really be going between the various spots (we obviously intend to for day trips, at least).
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 2 4 Month Europe Itinerary
- 3 Need Paris Flight Advice
- 4 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
- 5 Carcassonne or St Guilhem le Desert?
- 6 Advice? 2 weeks in Sicily with our 4-year-old
- 7 Spain Andalusia Itinerary Advice
- 8 May or September Andulucia/Munich
- 9 Paris---baguette question???
- 10 Venice - suggestions for hotels just after Easter - mid-April 2017.
- 11 What type of visa is right for me?
- 12 CDG to the 10th on Friday afternoon for 6
- 13 Best area to stay in Valencia
- 14 Spain for 2 weeks in April but what parts?
- 15 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 16 Madrid - time to allow for train
- 17 Help me decide where to go xmas week
- 18 Two Capitals of Central Europe and an Interlude in Frankfurt
- 19 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 20 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 21 Pyrenees 10-Day Driving Itinerary
- 22 Vienna to Bratislava
- 23 a loss about Paris
- 24 Mallorca: Off the tourist trail
- 25 Want to meet the locals? Some new ideas