Appreciate this question has been done to death, however my searches result in a variety of recommendations, all of which have left me a little confused. Hence, I thought I would ask for some more specific advice.
We are planning a short (12-13 days total) trip to Italy in end May/beginning June. Our intentions are to spend the first 4-5 days/nights in Rome, before heading to the Amalfi Coast.
Last year (around the same time) we travelled to Florence and the Cinque Terre (picking up a car to drive between the two); so we thought we'd go south this time.
My question is - we plan to spend around 5 days on the coast (probably just out of Positano), and would like to drive the coast. Therefore, wondering where the best place is to pick up and drop off a vehicle.
Current considerations is to catch the train from Rome to Naples and pick up a car there, going straight out of Naples.
Other options include to pick up and/or drop off at Sorrento, but that seems less convenient than Naples?
Secondly, is it a bad time in June (around 5th - 12th) to be driving the coast? I suspect it's before the absolute peak of the summer?
Thirdly and finally, is it a bad idea to spend ~ 5-6 nights in the one place (we were thinking of staying here in Positano: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g194863-d2284867-Reviews-Colle_dell_Ara-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html )? Should we really be going between the various spots (we obviously intend to for day trips, at least).
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 2 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 3 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 4 2 Weeks in France: Rouen, Normandy, Dordogne and the Loire Valley
- 5 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 6 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 7 Paris to Switzerland to Venice in 2 weeks?
- 8 Suggestions for fall trip to Brittany
- 9 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 10 Help with tips in UK
- 11 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 12 Positano Hotel in September
- 13 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 14 Paris experts- hotel near train ?
- 15 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 16 Sardinia, Sardegna, Cerdena, tomatoe, tomato, tomate
- 17 Andalucia Spain
- 18 Valencia Spain
- 19 Private car transportation from FCO to Central Rome
- 20 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 21 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 22 Paris in August
- 23 Getting around London
- 24 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 25 The DCC scam is spreading