Appreciate this question has been done to death, however my searches result in a variety of recommendations, all of which have left me a little confused. Hence, I thought I would ask for some more specific advice.
We are planning a short (12-13 days total) trip to Italy in end May/beginning June. Our intentions are to spend the first 4-5 days/nights in Rome, before heading to the Amalfi Coast.
Last year (around the same time) we travelled to Florence and the Cinque Terre (picking up a car to drive between the two); so we thought we'd go south this time.
My question is - we plan to spend around 5 days on the coast (probably just out of Positano), and would like to drive the coast. Therefore, wondering where the best place is to pick up and drop off a vehicle.
Current considerations is to catch the train from Rome to Naples and pick up a car there, going straight out of Naples.
Other options include to pick up and/or drop off at Sorrento, but that seems less convenient than Naples?
Secondly, is it a bad time in June (around 5th - 12th) to be driving the coast? I suspect it's before the absolute peak of the summer?
Thirdly and finally, is it a bad idea to spend ~ 5-6 nights in the one place (we were thinking of staying here in Positano: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g194863-d2284867-Reviews-Colle_dell_Ara-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html )? Should we really be going between the various spots (we obviously intend to for day trips, at least).
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cinque Terre Area & Coastal Day Activities
- 2 Begur, Tossa de Mar, Sitges
- 3 Where to stay in Umbria
- 4 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 5 travel around Spain
- 6 Tattoos in Italy
- 7 App for restaurants/pubs in the the UK?
- 8 Greece itinerary - need advice!
- 9 Charming areas to explore in London
- 10 Another Question re Scotland
- 11 Best GBP 250 Per Night London Hotel
- 12 Anniversary Trip to Ireland
- 13 2-4-1 / the best way to use this facility ...
- 14 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 15 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 16 Restaurants
- 17 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 18 Italy- Train Amalfi to Siena
- 19 Alternative for Rustem Pasa Kulliyesi
- 20 Confused on which train pass
- 21 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 22 Unlimited Internet Poland and best place to visit?
- 23 Milan to Chamonix by bus
- 24 Gap of Dunloe
- 25 Help with Transportation Options in London